Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   4 Cylinder (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/)
-   -   Billy's/Brand new truck/Dead horse thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/239971-billys-brand-new-truck-dead-horse-thread.html)

btipsword 09-18-2012 08:37 PM

Billy's/Brand new truck/Dead horse thread

Ok guys, so let me start out by saying, I realize this topic has had the s%#@ beat out of it, but I feel like my particular case is slightly different so please don't beat me up to bad on this.
I recently bought a 2012 MGM 4x4 base taco. I currently have about half the money I need for wheels/tires/billys. Going with 265/75/16 duratracs and pro comp 7089s. I know I know, set the billy's at 1.75 and it will all look magestic. Well that was the original plan, but as time goes on and I look forward to getting wheels/tires/billys even more, I feel like I may be dissapointed, so then I considered spending the extra $80 for a 1-1.5" AAL. Keep in mind, this is a brand new truck, under 3500 miles, so I am wanting to keep everything kosher, and in great working order, as I plan on keeping the truck for a long, long time, and don't have any plans for major maintenance in the anywhere close to near future, and do not want to ruin my soon to be brand new $880ish tires. I realize that I am possibly being a little critical for the amount of money I want to spend, I would love to have coilovers and all the cool things, but I don't have the money to spend on it, and I am on a tight budget already.. My concerns with billys at 2.5 is will I be able to align it properly?, how will it ride at 2.5? Will them being set at 2.5 affect the shock life greatly? I dont want a "close enough" alignment, as I previously stated, its a brand new truck. I think I have answered my own question in my head ( go safe, go with 1.75 and keep the back factory, but what fun is that?) P.s., this will be mostly for appearance, don't do a lot of off-roading, but wouldn't hesitate to go down some dirt roads/muddy fields.
So basically, my question is what would you guys with experience suggest from these options.
A.) Billy's front 1.75 stock rear
B.) Billy's front 2.5, 1.5 AAL rear, factory rear shocks
C.) Billy's front 2.5, block for rear?
D.) I'm a dumb@$$ and haven't the slightest clue?! haha

Thanks in advance for any help
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...oma/photo2.jpg

snowsk8air2 09-18-2012 08:41 PM

go with one of the toytec ultimate lift kits. they come with everything you need for a great set up and great ride. good luck with the decision, its a tough one for sure

btipsword 09-18-2012 08:49 PM

Thanks snowsk8 but I just can't afford a whole kit right now, plus still under warranty, so not wanting to go extreme

snowsk8air2 09-18-2012 10:09 PM

it really isn't extreme. did mine while still under warranty (under 10k miles). truck is still under warranty now. just read the part about being mostly for appearance, so, billies at 2.5 up front and aal out back but i would recommend throwing some billies in the rear too for ride comfort. it's only $$$$$$ don't skimp out on your truck, you'll regret it in the end.

Stockmonester 09-19-2012 06:11 AM

i put billies in the front set at .85. my front end in half inch lower than the back.

757 Taco 09-19-2012 06:24 AM

I put billys on at the front @1.75" and stock rear. sits damn near level and rides like stock. I also have the same exact wheel and tire setup you want, Procomp 7089's and 265/75/16 Duratracs. Ive had zero issues with alignment and I think the truck looks great. Click on my build thread for pics VVVVV:cool:

btipsword 09-19-2012 08:49 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I know goin with 1.75 is how I should do it and it will look level, it's just so tempting knowing I'll have another setting (2.5) I could use to achieve more with $80 additional aal. I just am worried tht I won't align properly or something and shred my new $900 tires. Can you adjust the Billy's on the truck or do they need to come out to switch settings?

757 Taco 09-19-2012 09:00 AM

You have to disassemble the shock from the coil in order to adjust the billys. Also, if you do a standard AAL it will ride rough, squeak, and not last as long as the progressive AAL from wheelersoffroad.com found here.. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoaal.htm

btipsword 09-19-2012 09:23 AM

Thanks 757, looks like I should probably just level the front at 1.75 for now until I can afford to lift it properly!

757 Taco 09-19-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btipsword (Post 5714411)
Thanks 757, looks like I should probably just level the front at 1.75 for now until I can afford to lift it properly!

That's what I decided with mine. I'm gonna save up til I can get some icons and tc ucas

PSJ 09-24-2012 05:25 AM

Get the rear TSB leafs for free, then billies set at 1.75. Looks level, rides great, no issues :cool:

4Wheelin4Banger 09-26-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btipsword (Post 5714296)
Thanks for the replies guys.
I know goin with 1.75 is how I should do it and it will look level, it's just so tempting knowing I'll have another setting (2.5) I could use to achieve more with $80 additional aal. I just am worried tht I won't align properly or something and shred my new $900 tires.

The part of the alignment that might be out of spec doesn't affect tire wear.
I have a full 3" lift front & back.
My toe & camber (tire wearers) are 0. Castor is close to specs but not in specs and will not cause wear problems (if too far out of spec causes high speed wander & bump steer)

GEORGE STRAIT 09-26-2012 09:21 PM

billies at 1.75 made my taco perfectly level.