Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   4 Cylinder (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/)
-   -   One fog light brighter than other... Put in new 9145's (didn't help)? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/251666-one-fog-light-brighter-than-other-put-new-9145s-didnt-help.html)

litegide24 12-03-2012 06:05 PM

One fog light brighter than other... Put in new 9145's (didn't help)?

Hi, not sure about this problem. I did the oem fog light installation a while ago on my 4 cylinder. Although since I installed these one light has always appeared brighter than the other?

I bought the two lights out of an oem 2010 (as far as I know). I thought that either the aim was off or one bulb was just tired.

Today I got around to taking a better look at the alignment and all looked good. So I went and bought two new 9145"s and installed them. Guess what, same deal.

The mirror finish on the interior looks the same... I think i know the next step (get a multimeter and check voltage at the bulbs) this isn't making sense :confused: Could it be the aftermarket (eBay) relay?

Blackshirts 12-03-2012 06:08 PM

Prolly need to align the light bulb

LDurchy 12-03-2012 06:12 PM

Perhaps a wire connector has some resistance due to rust or a poor connection.

BradleyScottETC 12-03-2012 06:16 PM

It could be the relay, if the contact points are corroded or making poor contact- I just don't see that your fogs would be on independent relays.

It could be a poor connection, either + or -.

litegide24 12-03-2012 06:22 PM

Alignment... from any angle one will blind you and one won't.

The vehicle was brand new when I installed the set - connectors don't show any corrosion (I taped the connection as well). The connection is solid. However, the harness side of the plug is generic.

Been running like this for over a year but thought I could nip it with a set of new bulbs - No Go.

wolftree 12-03-2012 06:31 PM

Can you move the harness enough to plug one harness end to the other lamp and see if the brghtness changes? You mentioned using a generic harness, often that means too small of wire (resistance).

litegide24 12-03-2012 07:19 PM

Thats a great and practical idea. Cant easily flip flop the plugs because it's laced and cable tied very carefully, i also put the yellow jacketed harness iring inide the black ribbed sleeve so it would look factory. I suppose I will need to cut it all loose. The passengers side is the super bright one...

You mentioned resistance, can that be checked at each plug?

wolftree 12-04-2012 04:56 AM

Try the swapping of the harness first to see if that makes a difference. You would need a very precise meter (very, very expensive) to read a difference in resistance in that short length of wire.

I just had another thought. Compare both lamp housings to see if they are the same manufacturer. You mentioned you bought them used. Perhaps one is OEM Toyota and the other is a replacement.

BamaToy1997 12-04-2012 10:51 AM

Check for corrosion (As you mentioned you did) but include all connections, as well as the ground itself. Swap left bulb with right bulb. If the dimness stays where it was, you HAVE to have a poor connection or corrosion somewhere on that circuit.

4Wheelin4Banger 12-04-2012 11:15 AM

I had an intermittent problem with one of mine & it turned out to be the connector. I unplugged it & bent the metal tab on the inside so it would make better contact & haven't had a problem since.

Canufixit 12-08-2012 09:03 PM

Just a thought ...
If It's possible to measure the voltage at both bulbs/connections when they are on?? Tthey should be the same. If not you have a voltage drop (i.e. resistance) on the lower voltage line. If So, continue to measure the voltage (with the bulb on) farther back on the circuit (i.e. each prior connector, the relay , etc.) until they do measure the same. The problem will be between the last good/bad point measured. This way you only need a fairly cheapie volt meter.

Hope this helps ...