1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ Clutch Problems

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by norcaldude82, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Dec 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    norcaldude82

norcaldude82 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab SR5 4WD 2.7L Manual
    Leer Black Alumatop w/ Yakima Racks, KC Daylighters Lights & Bar, Car Seat Mod :).
    I had my clutch go out at 10k! It was replaced by my dealer basically to save me as a customer. THERE ISN'T A TSB FOR 2012+ TACOMA CLUTCHES. Toyota "fixed" the issue of the TSB for the 2005-2011 model years, but my 2012 had the same problems. If you have clutch problems with your 2012+ 2.7L Taco please post! Also let your dealer know, the more people with problems with the crap LUK clutches may result in only AISIN clutches being used.

2. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    kcendereurt

kcendereurt Member

Member:
    Somewhere Down In Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 2.7 liter 5 speed
    Work in progress. Extang tonneau cover, MB TKO 16" wheels with Hankook MT 245/70/16 tires, bed mat, UltraGauge, K&N drop in air filter, Amsoil Synthetic XL motor oil and filter, removable Fia' Bug Screens for front grill ; ARB winch bumper replacement installed; KC fog lights; Bilstien 5100's on front set to level out weight of bumper.
    Good to know! Will post if my '12 clutch goes bad. So far, 6200 miles and the only issues so far are the ones previously reported about the crappy 1st to 2nd shifting issues and lack of smoothness. I take the good with the bad though. Good post!

3. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Did not know that a TSB existed for the 2005-2011 4 cyl tacos. What are the symptoms and what is Toyota doing for the customer?

4. Dec 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    norcaldude82

norcaldude82 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Leer Black Alumatop w/ Yakima Racks, KC Daylighters Lights & Bar, Car Seat Mod :).
    Some clutches were made in Mexico with crappy QC, and they would wear out around 10k miles. The clutches would slip like crazy. The TSB basically replace the clutch if it is slipping. But only for 2005-2011 models. Some 2012 models may have recieved clutches from a bad stock as well, like mine, and experience the same problems. ONLY TOYOTA WILL NOT DO A THING FOR YOU. You must coerce your dealership to replace it at a loss because there isn't a TSB for 2012. I personally talked to a Toyota big-wig and he basically said the clutch is a wear item, and he couldn't do anything for me. The dealer did because I dropped a lot if money there during the years. PRESSURE YOUR DEALERSHIP IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK NEW. If you bought the truck used I think you may be up the creek, sorry.

5. Dec 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Thanks for the info. Have only had a problem with my clutch after it sits out in the rain, parked slightly uphill. It seems that water is getting into the housing. It slips for just an instant, and only lasts for 1 or 2 starts from a dead stop. Thought it might be something to fix my issue. I am at 60K miles and doubt if I have the clutch with the QC problem. Again thanks for the info.

6. Dec 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    I'm at 16,110 miles, bought my '12 new in June. No problems with the clutch. No problems at all, really. Just some minor design flaws that bother me.

7. Dec 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    norcaldude82

norcaldude82 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately, no.

8. Dec 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    horseshoe1

horseshoe1 Member

Member:
    I've got 10,000 miles on my 2012 v6, no problems with the clutch thus far.

9. Dec 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    Icewatersteam

Icewatersteam Comptroller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4cyl 4x4
    11k+ on my '12 4 banger. No trouble thus far.

10. Dec 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    slipperytaco58

slipperytaco58 New Member

Member:
    north charleston
    Vehicle:
    '12 base 2.7
    im at 19,000 and noticed it slipping going up a hill at 50mph in 5th. I'M PISSED!!! Im going by the dealer next week.

11. Dec 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    norcaldude82

norcaldude82 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Did you buy your truck from Toyota of North Charleston? If so talk to the service manager, Mr. Cortis, and explain your situation and he may help you out. He's who hooked me up.

12. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    buffalojay

buffalojay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5
    Icon Stage II w/ UCAs TRD Pro wheels w/33 cooper AT-3s
    Didn't know about this problem clutch. Glad to hear about it, however I haven't had an issue with mine except for the lack of smoothness w/ 1st and 2nd gear. Which is pretty common with most of the people I've talked to.

13. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    1tacoman

1tacoman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4 WD 2.7L
    3" body lift, 16" tires and wheels.camper shell
    They surely dont make them like they use to. I have a 2000 Tacoma 4 wheel drive with 2.7L. I bought the truck new and got just a little over 300,000 miles off the factory clutch,I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

14. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    ^Yea, must not make em like they used to. I don't get it that with a lot of automobile manufacturers. I know there are improvements in technology and machining processes - these should have us continually moving toward more reliable, comfortable, and cost efficient parts. It seems like this isn't happening. Yeah, it's understandable if you roll something new out and have problems.. but don't keep the same crap year after year, reflect on older components or designs that may have been less problematic?

Anywayyy... I have noticed since purchase the following(new, 1mile on clock): 1) When clutch is pushed 100% to the floor and I'm coasting, say at 15 miles per hour, waiting to see what traffic will do ahead or whatever the scenario may be, I wear a whurring/whining transmissiony noise from the rear of the truck. Ever heard a honda in reverse (they all sound like 'this'), it's identical to that but it decreases in intensity as the speed comes down. It's also not as loud as hondas in reverse.

It's weird that it should do that, since the rpms are at idle, the clutch is mashed to the floor, I'm used to silence in my 4 other manual vehicles of several makes when clutch is pushed. Someone suggested it could be throw out bearing, even though a lot of my searches suggested to me that those usually get quiet when the clutch as pushed. Some knowledgeable fellow on here said it could also happen when pushed though.

Set up appointment, earliest they can get me in is the 9th. I'm lifting the truck Saturday so I told her a) I've reported this problem since new to the other dealership, where I bought it, b) first to second is miserable, also noted since new, and c) take note that the truck is NOT lifted right now and will not be the culprit once they finally look at it. She seemed cool - they're a good local Toyota dealership that has helped me out in the past when 'other' dealership where I purchased it at put 5qts of 5w30 in my truck on the first oil change :mad:

I'll drive it for technician, then offer him to drive it and a) see if he can do any better with first to second, and b) if he can do anything to avoid the noise I hear. Will report back with results!

15. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Sometimes I wish I would have opted for the auto. There are more times I'm glad I've got a manual than not so i'm still happy with my decision but this transmission is not the smoothest or seemingly bulletproof as I had hoped, this thread and others is proof I guess. I'll comment back as i get more miles on mine. I'm a 2012 DCSB V6 6speed with 9k on the odometer and I'm still adjusting to meshing my shifts so it feels smooth every shift... Throttle cables for the win, I wish my taco had one :(

I bid Y'all smooth shifting and happy trails!

~M

16. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    About to hit 14 k on my 2012 2.7 five speed reg cab.....
    this is slightly troublesome .... it seems to be doing ok so far...
    I think that as a community we need to stay on top of this... if enough of us go to dealerships and throw a fit.... it might get changed.... of course at this point if they do nothing for me if mine goes out then I would do some sort of aftermarket.... who knows I am a newbie here and this is my first yota

17. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I just bought a 2007 2.7L and on the test drive I was in 4th going up a hill, when I noticed the rpm increasing without the speed. I'm no idiot and looked at the dealer and said I think the clutch is slipping? He assured me they would check it out. I said okay then. And I got a response of "thats just the way they are." The slipping was not terrible but I was pretty sure it was. It was a good deal so I did it anyhow, but this morning I could have sworn it was slipping again 4th gear uphill. I am going to go find a steep hill after work and test out the gears. After reading the forums I am going to look into this. Damn dealers! they are all liars.

Anyone recommend the best performance replacement clutch for daily driving in a 2007?

18. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    BCTSR5

BCTSR5 NorthernTacoShop.com

Member:
    First Name:
    NorthernTacoShop.com
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2020 Taco TRD Sport
    I hate reading so I will post what I know and hopefully someone else hasn't.

There are tsb's related to clutch system part replacement in Canada
    USA is probably different
    I just performed the later of the 2 and it cleaned up clutch performance that much more.

TSB3663
    Manual transmission rattle noise in neutral - this is for 2005-12
    Replaces friction disk and for certain vin codes, the pressure plate, updated parts
    And make sure to machine your flywheel and purchase a new release bearing

TSB3890
    Clutch pedal squeak/creak noise - this is for 2005-12
    Replaces clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal, updated parts

There is one more, but I haven't experienced this issue with any tacomas
    I have driven.

TSB3753
    Clutch pedal slow to return - this is for 2005-12
    Replaces clutch release cylinder, updated part

If you feel a studder off the line or get a rattle in neutral, have TSB3663
    performed.

19. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    you have the luk clutch that ppl are having replaced, this is the identical symptom mine had, slipped in 4th under load, then eventually 3rd when cold.. bring the TSB information your dealer and insist they change this. it's possible they haven't seen this before and didn't know but either way the guy who said he would look into this lied to your face. the problem will keep getting worse, especially in cold weather.

20. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Thanks for the info! Are there any links to the specific TSB paid or not? . and yes I did notice this morning when it was colder that I felt slippage in 2nd gear? I tested 1st on a hill last night pulling away quickly and diddint feel the slip. The thing that blows is this dealer is 2.3 hours away...I'm almost tempted to drive back armed with data on this and chew someones ass out. I knew better but I guess I was blinded by purchase. Also do you think i'd have any luck at a more local dealer? and also what would be my best bet for a replacement clutch. I'd like the longest life I can get. Thanks again

Products Discussed in

To Top