1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma Shifting Question

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Binny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Apr 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Binny

Binny [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok so I just took delivery of a 2013 Access Cab 4x4 5 speed. I LOVE IT!!!! However before I let you guys spend all my money on MODS I have a question. When letting go of the clutch easing into 1st it goes from nothing to just grabbing the gear all at once. Will this wear in or break in? Also from 1st to 2nd i have to get rpms to about 3G to avoid hearing a thump when I press the clutch. All other gears shift fine at 2G. Even when I am really focusing on making everything nice and fluid with my shifting it is hard to not feel it. The truck has 80 miles on it. What do you think. Time will fix or problem??

2. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    The 5 spd manual tranny is solid, but not as smooth as modern trannies, and can be a little clunky at times. Some claim changing out the tranny oil helps, and or using certain types will make it shift smoother. I did not notice any difference when I upgraded my tranny oil... :cool:

3. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The clutch 'grab' should get a little better with time and wear, although rainy days will bring back that behavior years later.

That thump shifting from first gear.... yeah, that's annoying. At least it doesn't have nearly as much rev hang as the six speed trucks where imperfect timing will cause a 'thump' with every shift.

4. Apr 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    There are 2 types of clutches that Toyota puts in the 2.7L. One is a LUK - piece of crap Mexican made clutch that will fail. The other is the AISIN - Japanese made. My truck had the LUK from the factory. It started slipping around 20K miles. The LUK never grabbed 1st gear all at once as you explain. It was a soft feeling clutch. I had it replaced under TSB about 2K miles ago with the AISIN.

The AISIN is a quality clutch and it grabs 1st gear all at once. It took me a while to get used to it, and I'm still caught off guard every now and then. Sounds like you have the AISIN clutch, be glad. I can't answer if it will soften over time.

The thump you are referring to happens on BOTH clutches from my experience. It also happened on my 1987 FJ60 Toyota Landcruiser 4 Speed. A good way to get around having to rev your engine so high is to do a "fake shift". When your shifting from 1st to 2nd and you get to neutral, hesistate for a second - I kind of just let my shifter float over to the center position a bit and then I go down to 2nd gear.

It works like a charm. It is just really a 1-2 sec hesitation. I don't know if its a Toyota truck thing but I felt like it was because my FJ60 did the exact same thing.

P.S. I drove a Mustang 5 speed for 8 years before I got my Tacoma. I had to keep reminding myself that my new truck was not a sports car, once I started treating it like a truck instead of a Mustang, the Tacoma straightened right out on shifting.

Let me know if that works out for you.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. Apr 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    My 2013 has a grabby clutch with a narrow friction zone as well. It does feel smoother now (at 7K mi.), but I am not sure if it's because I have gotten used to it or if the clutch has broken in. The shifter was really notchy at first too, but now is buttery smooth.

Products Discussed in

To Top