1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

difference between 95 and 95.5 taco

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by darkturtleninja, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja [OP] 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    ok fellas i need some closure on the situation...lol... my truck was manufactured on 04/95 making it a pretaco i guess... what is the difference? just badging or is there any physical or mechanical difference??? anytime i go to autozone to get parts for it, it is under tacoma... but there are various places where it lists tacoma and pickup...

part of the reason i want to know is i just bought a new guage cluster off of ebay out of a 95 tacoma and i wanted to make sure it is the same... it looks like it to me....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    By the looks of your pics & build date, you have a tacoma, not pre.
    My last toyota pickup I bought in Dec 1994 & wasn't a tacoma. Build date was 11/94.
    I wish I could help you with the gauge cluster question, but not sure. Here's a bump & some history on the tacoma from toyotaoffroad:

"Toyota introduces an all new pickup truck, designed in Calty, Southern California, and built in Fremont California (at NUMMI) -
    The Tacoma. The Tacoma featured brand new high performance engines. A 142-horsepower 2.4L four cylinder with 160 lb.-ft. was standard on the 2WD models, while the 4WD models offered a 150 hp. 2.7L four cylinder engine producing 177 lb.-ft. of torque. On both models, an optional 190 hp. 3.4L V6 engine with 220 lb.-ft. of torque was available. This engine would be shared with the T100.

The suspension was new as well. This redesigned suspension offered a coil spring double-wishbone configuration, which replaced the Hi-Trac torsion bar double wishbone suspension of the previous generation. The lower arm uses a closed cross-sectional structure that adds strength while reducing unsprung weight. Suspension travel on the 4WD models increased from 5.9 inches to 7.7 inches, improving both on and off road performance. Tread width on both 2WD and 4WD also increased, improving steering stability and ride comfort. The Tacoma continued to use the reliable leaf type rear suspension with refinements to layout design.

For safety, a standard driver-side airbag, center high mount stop light, adjustable seatbelt anchors, improved side-view mirrors, and optional four-wheel ABS were added. Additionally, the Tacoma received side door impact beams, and three-point, automatic and emergency locking retractor (ALR and ELR) seatbelts in outboard positions, with an ELR seatbelt on the driver's side. "

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    great find.... thanks for the information... there were a few fellas on here that thought it was possible that it could be a pretaco.... however i cant really tell by looking at the truck because all of the badging has been removed and a fancy paintjob was put on... the dealerships sticker that was on the window said tacoma but my insurance card and registration doesnt say tacoma anywhere... it just says pickup in the "trim" box.... and the title is at the bank as i still have a small loan out on it... the door jamb also just says pickup... but of course it is generally a pickup... so anyhow...lol.... if anybody else has any more knowledge on the subject im all ears.... its good to know info about my vehicle...

i was also thinking about the mfg date thing.... like when new cars come out they are for example like the 05 mustang was out in late 04 so it was actually made in 04 but it was the new 05 style....
    so with my truck being manufactured in april perhaps it is actually a tacoma... either way i cant tell any difference....

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I looked at your picture gallery, and your truck is a Tacoma. The body style changed in mid 95, they made the fenders more rounded in the front and they changed the grill.

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    You have an aftermarket suspension. If it was stock, that would be one way to check. I believe the Tacomas all have a strut assembly and the pre-tacomas have a shock/torsion bar set up.

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i'd agree...by the looks of your grille its a tacoma

7. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    there are many diffrences
    the 95 4cyl came with a 22r-e and the 95.5 came with a 3rz-fe is one
    the transmision in a 95 a w56 (in most cases) and the 95.5 came with w59 transmissions
    and the 95 transger cases were geares from the factory and the 95.5 are chain driven

and the body stiles changed too

PZ061399-12sm.jpg
    9421_4.jpg

8. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    ok thanks guys, i think im convinced.... it is indeed a tacoma..... yay.... it makes me feel better that i dont have to go around in life worrying anymore...lmao

9. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    i'm not entirely sure but i don't think tacomas came out until 95.5 becasue i had one and i remember going through some issues ordering parts.There were just a few 95 DX trucks made in 95 but by the looks of your grill that is for sure a tacoma. As far as the gauge cluster goes, if it came out of a tacoma from 95.5 to 97 i am almost positive it will work. Also alot of people don't call out the 1/2 part on their year model when selling parts for some reason.

10. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Those are definately Tacoma fenders too.

11. Mar 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    if you truck was built in 1995 it was most likley a Tacomo...

If a car was introcudes ina mid year it was bult that year.
    but we might find a few 1995.5 built in 1994. it is possible..

not much if anything will work on a truck vers the taco..
    they are not the same in any way other than they are truck with 4 tires..

everything else was differant...

Products Discussed in

To Top