1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma rattle in back

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by dgjones, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    dgjones

dgjones [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portage, IN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Reg Cab
    None yet :)
    Hi there, I have a very annoying rattle coming from the left rear of my 09 Taco regular cab. It sounds like it is coming from inside the bed or under in the suspension. It rattles every time I hit a bump. I have heard that it could be the plastic bed liner rattling against the frame.

My dealer sucks and it's going to be a while until I get it in. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this.

2. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I think some found lose bed bolts on their truck. I am not certain what year though. I would suggest trying that to at least rule it out.

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Yup I have the rattle too in my reg cab, it doesn't bother me, but its there, Im going to check the bed bolts.

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Could it be those platistic cubby hole doors in the bed? First thing i did was removed them, since I figured somebody would just eventually steal them and I would never use them anyway. I put the adj. tie down brackets behind the seat.

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    At least in mine is not the cubby hole doors, I think that there are a few things that rattle back there:

1. My fuel door rattle a little bit, I fixed that with a bit of foam tape in the hinge.
    2. Check the rear drivers side plastic wheel well, the side closest to the door, mine vibrates and makes a rattle sound, also try hitting the plastic bed trough the wheel well right above the rear driver's side tire.
    3. I have a rattle that Im guessing is the one you are describing which sound like its a metal rattle, I can replicate the sound hitting the rear driver's side leaf spring from below.

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    motoretro

motoretro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg, Cab, 2.7 Four Cyl. manual trans
    I took mine to dealer for this and they thought leaf springs.....said they were going to check with Toyota on it and get back w/ me. That was a month ago.:rolleyes: Truck didn't make the noise until after last winter. I now have 11,600 miles on the truck. I did notice it's a lot quieter with gate down.....I wonder if the metal ends on limit cables are making noise when un-tensioned with gate up? I did check the bed bolts and there very tight. Another thing might be the clips on springs which loosen up after a few miles......might try squeezing them together with large c-clamp tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

Motoretro

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    dgjones

Member:
    Portage, IN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Reg Cab
    yea that is the same thing I have. I think it might be the leaf spring.

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    dgjones

Member:
    Portage, IN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Reg Cab
    K thanks I'll check back.

9. Jul 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    motoretro

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I crawled under the truck today with a rubber mallet and after a few minutes banging away, determined the noise we're hearing is leaf springs. My passenger side rattles when you tap the two springs up by the hanger. If you hold onto the springs with one hand including the overload while tapping, the noise stops so in my opinion it must be from the spring not be held as tight as when new. My bother borrowed all my C-clamps for boat building project but i hope to get back a couple tomorrow to tweak the clamps with. The inserts in the spring clamps are harder than I would have guessed. I'm guessing they have worn just enough to allow some movement and noise. I'm hoping that by pushing in the clamps, they will add pressure to the assembly, stopping the noise. At least that's the game plan.

Motoretro

10. Jul 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    lets us know how it works out.

11. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Any updates on this Motoretro? Did you tighten the clamps?

12. Jan 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

?
    update?

13. Jan 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    motoretro

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the very late reply guys. I was injured late in the summer so I did not mess with it again. Decided to sell the truck in the fall due to losing my pension. Truck is still for sale...been a rough year:crapstorm:
    Motoretro

14. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

sorry to hear man! good luck, maybe you won't have to end up selling

15. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    DanTacoMan

DanTacoMan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4cyl 2wd Reg Cab
    That same rattle you describe was driving me crazy for the first couple of weeks when i first bought the truck. I discovered its the leaf springs. They smack up against the helper springs due to the fact that the leafs are soft. If you stand in the bed over the wheels and hop up and down you will notice it. Toyota didnt do a very good job with those leafs. Ive been dying to replace them but im not sure what to buy since the tacoma had that damn lean to it. i think the leafs are different on both sides. Any one ever change them?

16. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    There was another model of Tacoma that had the same problem, there was a TSB released for them, part of the TSB was simply to add like a rubber tape on the helper spring, I did something similar to my leaf springs using industrial strength rubber that you can stick on the leaf spring, it helped a lot there is still some noise but is now muffled so it isn't as annoying as before,

17. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    rjreynolds

rjreynolds Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2wd 2.7l
    Same here. Every time I go over a bump, I hear a sound from the back. I went to the dealership not too long ago to complain about it. The attendant told me it was more likely the leaf springs. It seems like I was not the first one in to complain. They told me to make an appointment and bring it in, but there was no talk as to whether it is covered under warranty or anything. Does anyone know if something like this is covered under warranty or not?

18. Feb 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    TacoBirr

TacoBirr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco DblCab TRD Off Road
    My 2005 Taco's bed started rattling--visibly jumping up and down, front-right corner--when the truck was 5 yrs old with 65,000 easy on-road miles.

As you know, the bed--steel sides and all--is held to the chassis with four bolts. The ones visible from inside the bed. I think these are the "loose bolts" referred to in several posts below.

My front-right bolt looked loose, 'cause there was a gap under it's head when I stood in the bed. Wrong! It was very tight. In fact, the composite material of the bed had worn away where it sits on the chassis (visible through wheel well. Lift the bed while you're looking). It didn't take long for 3/16" of material to wear away.

I pointed it out to one of the two nearby Toyota dealers, but they had no clue what to do. They did offer to sell me a new bolt for a huge price.

I was going to make a gasket out of old tire sidewall when a friend gave me a piece of rubber conveyor belt material to try. Make it about 3" in dia., put a bolt-sized hole in the middle, perfect. Install between bed and chassis by removing the bolt etc etc.

It's still fine after a year and 14,000 miles.

19. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also check your spare tire unit underneath the bed....make sure it's tight!.

20. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Earthy

Earthy Member

Member:
    Arkansaw
    Vehicle:
    07' 5 lug
    I have this rattle when I hit rough spots at low speed. Any other ideas or updates? Sounds like the muffler or exhaust moving around and hitting something but when I moved it it seemed solid.

Products Discussed in

To Top