1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A minor gripe

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by chevys, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nov 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    chevys

chevys [OP] Member

Member:
    Seats.

Why cant Toyota put in a split seat in the 4x4 base truck? My old s10 had this and I hated it. The Ranger has a split seat and its antique.

I kinda want one but the stealers are acting like they are gold. Thats why I hate toyota. They are not nearly as good or better than the competition as they used to be. Plus, I want to buy American and I mean Ford only who didnt take the bail out. I do like the Tacoma though overall but the stealers may chase me away.

Anybody know where to get a no nonsense deal with no hassels? Im fed up with my local stealer. The Ford is way way cheaper and makes you think. I just need a basic truck with no frills but would love to have a 4x4. If I go 4x2 I will get the Ranger more than likely. I really detest the Toyota stealers attitude and they have insulted my intelligence more than once. They are idiots but most car salesmen are no matter the brand.

2. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I'm amused that you are going to a brand associated dealer and complaining that they are shitty. EVERY dealership sucks on most levels.

I'm not sure what you gripe is- You get what you get as far as the seats are concerned- So buy the truck and find your own seats or buy the ranger??

Do your research here and on the Toyota website- Know what you need and what you want and then go in to the dealer and get it.

You let them give you static and they'll talk all day and try to get whatever money they can from you. If you are a smart consumer- All that goes away cause you can call their bullshit and get thru it.

Good luck

3. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Toyota just makes em, the dealers sell em. Toyota stealerships are smug because they sell out, they know they are in the driver seat so to speak..... they know they wont have to cut a deal with you (or us) when the next buyerwill take it.
    They are great trucks, but even they have a few some issues.
    My bench seat is the most comfy one I have seen thank you.(ps) sold my real nice siverado crew cab, it had a few issues too, but a substandard steering box, or whatever was rattling is worse than a bench seat.

Dealing with the dealers.... well study your trade in values/current desireability of , get several quotes, send the message you have time. Dont be scared to speak loudly when they cheat lie and number shuffle on you.

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    It's funny, I bought my 01 from a Chevy dealer. He admitted that anytime they get used Taco's they sell them faster than the S10's on the lot, I got lucky with mine cause it was a 5 speed and not many people in the area wanted a manual.

5. Nov 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Mine has Buckets :)

6. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i got to say that the bench seat in these trucks is next to unbearable. I have a bad back, and could barley stand the test drive. Not the the buckets are so much better, but i can do a 1 1/2 hour ride with out much difficulty.

I have thought about swapping in some full suspension reclining buckets from master craft or something equivalent

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    My 07 reg cab PreRunner has buckets; which came with the SR5 trim in reg cab PreRunners. Switching out seats could be done with aftermarket, but might be difficult due to the seats needing sensors for the airbags etc. The passenger bucket goes a step further with additional switches for seat track position, and seatback angle. This would only be a problem if putting aftermarket or wrecking yard seats in an already equipped bucket seat model. The bench may or may not have a seat track position indicator which would have to be made to function or a SRS light will greet you. Almost all manufacturers will not sell complete assemblies; I have heard that some would release them with an insurance co's claim of vandalism/theft, but don't know if that is true, so I was surprised a while back while looking through one of the online Toyota parts vendors that showed cataloged and priced full/complete seat assemblies available for the Tacoma. They came with the base cloth if I recall, which is almost like the TRD material, but slightly different pattern, but not the velour type that the non reg cabs SR5's had. They were of course expensive, and one would have to buy a console and associated brackets if a console is desired. The console also hides the parking brake cables on manual trans models. I think Toyota was stepping backwards with the bench seat; as most manufacturers have made 60/40 or 40/20/40 seats standard, even in basic trim level trucks just to keep the passenger away from the airbag. Imagine a 6'6" husband riding with his 5'0 wife during an airbag deployment::eek:; the bag would probably wrap around and slap him in the back of the head:D

8. Nov 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    One thought: Visit some junkyards and switch the seats out yourself.

9. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I think drew02a did a swap from bench to buckets with the console but I do not know the details. I would send him a PM and find out some details. From what I understand the bucket seats were available with the SR5 package until 2008. You could look for a used 2005-2008 SR5 regular cab so you can get the truck you want.

10. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I want bucket seats, well sorta. My bench seat is quite comfy and I like to keep the ability to keep things out of view behind the bench, so I'll keep pretending I need bucket seats, but we all know I dont.
    Before the seats I want 4.33-4.56 axles ratios with ARB lockers front and rear first... for those 12 or so true offroad miles a year I end up doing.

Dang you Drew02, you get me wanting bucket seats with tilt,its all his fault.

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I like how you own a toyota, have the name chevys but yet still want to buy a ford, maybe the dealership wasn't insulting your intelligence but in fact giving you a lil taste of reality.

12. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    rd263

rd263 Banana Republic

Member:
    Southeast of Disorder
    Vehicle:
    2006 SW SR5 4X4 AC
    Billy 5100's front,5% tint rear,20% sides,35% full front,Kenwood head unit,DRL mod,AFE CAI,Thule rack system,TSB rear leaf upgrade,Hella headlamps,Vent visors,Led brake lamps,Led backup lamps,clutch squeak TSB,TO bearing fixed,Debaged,100 watt fog lights ,Popnlock,shorty antenna,door sill protectors.
    buy the taco and switch the seats yourself.

13. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    My only complaint about Toyota's bench seat is the lack of a fold-down armrest in the center. Otherwise, I find it comfortable, even on long 8-9 hour drives.

As for the Ranger, I took a good look at Rangers before I went with the Tacoma. Unfortunately, the Ranger is really, really dated. Their 4 cyl is anemic and the technology/safety in the truck is really sub-par when compared to what else is out there.

14. Nov 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    Vultite

Vultite Active Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    94' Ranger
    Whoa buddy, think about it a while first. I have a Ranger, and I'm leaving the Ford behind for a Toyota...the Tacoma's are made in the US by the average American worker...yea your $$ is going to corporate Japan, but it supports an American job as well. I don't feel my Ranger is well built except for the drive train (which is built by Mazda...) I'm going over to the Yotas for everything the Fords lack, and I would have stayed with the Ranger if they would having FUCKING REDESIGNED THE DAMN THING, but since it's been untouched since the 90's...Ford gets nothing from me...I used to also own a Mustang...nothing like a V8 American hunk of shit to make you run towards the Japs...Oh yea, my Ranger...rock solid 4 banger...80 HP though, gets great MPG's but can't move into traffic without giving you a heart attack first...

15. Nov 10, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    I want to buy American but , my money shouldnt support an over corporate/brand loyalty hyped product(Toyota might be drifting this way dunno) .

Here is what I see the big 3 doing lately.... you show 3 or so burley guys who look like they did work, they fold their arms and nod(like they approve of that ..say ford..) then they wave an American flag and fade into wheatfields. "HELL YEA I'm a patriot".... they want you to prove it by buying a product thats not keeping pace with the market.

Screw brand loyalty as a mentality, I think I got a Tacoma because its proving to be a better vehiicle....earned loyalty. oh yea, dont forget the drawling country like spokesman, pfft. Stop encouraging me into making me rant, dang ya all.

16. Nov 10, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    Stealerships are easy to deal with, if you know what you want and more importantly what price you're willing to pay. Also have financing ready before you deal, don't go with their's unless you very good with money and/or have a way of checking their's before signing!

All I do is go in to all the dealerships and asked one question, "what's your best price?". Once you get their price get up, thank them and walk out. Some of the more "with-it" salesmen will ask what you're doing. Tell them, "I'm getting the best price from every dealer and will go back to the top - or rather bottom priced - three and get down to real negotiating." Oh, and don't overlook internet sales that is where I finally got my best price.

This approach doesn't allow them the upper hand. When they ask "what can we do to get you into a truck today?" You simply smile and tell them to lower their offer or your going to the next dealer! Even then, once you get their "bottom" price, get up and take their quote to the next guy. Show the next salesman the quote so they know you mean business. I had one salesman who, after I showed him the quote, still offered me their's at 1800.00 more. He even asked "what can we do to put you in a truck today!" I said "1800 dollars is better in my pocket then your's, isn't it!" and walked out.

You won't make friends with this approach - I had one saleman call me and asked why I didn't come back - I told him he wasn't the lowest and I went with another dealer. He got all mad and I said "you were told up front that I was going with the best price, you should have given me your lowest price then - you lost the deal and I got my new truck cheaper elsewhere!

You'll get some who'll just offer the same deal, as your quote is already rock bottom, this can work for you too! Tell them you already have this deal so if they don't sweeten the pot your going with the first offer. Now you can suggest that if they offer some upgrade or add-on, for free, it would make their offer more attractive. If they don't get up and walk out, you already have that deal! Keep doing this until they cry "uncle" or you've gotten your price!

Just remember don't let them talk, just make them work, it's your money. Again, have financing settled before you enter that way they can't screw you later with their creative hide the buck game!

If more people would do this it would knock the smugness right out of them!

17. Nov 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM
    chevys

chevys [OP] Member

Member:
    Good advice and you dont have to worry about me getting excited or falling in love with anything. Im a prick to deal with and all business. ;) I did the negotiations on my parents 4 runner and I was a terror. Did it all by fax, email, and some phone and had to go 150 miles to get it but it saved a bundle. My local Toyota people were pissed off as we drove it through the lot after they tried to rob us. They just assumed my folks would be repeat customers but not this time.

What surprised me is that some dealers I contacted would not even send back a quote. Screw them. I flew 900 miles to buy a Mustang also Im no stranger to travel. I have no loyalty other than price. The Ford dealer I bought the Mustang from tried to slip in some stuff on me at the last second and I got up and walked out. The finance guy tried to screw me and I was outside on my cell and the salesman busted out the door asking what was wrong. I told him I was calling a cab to get back to the airport to fly home. :D That put a stop to that crap right then and there. Honestly, I was only going to get a motel and let them sweat for a day or two and if the deal went through I was going to make them pay me back for the room.

What gets me is I can go to my local Ford guy and he will be within 100 bucks of anybody just right off the bat. The Toyota people try to sell me on the quality blah blah blah when I probably forgot more than they know about their own products. With the recent frames rusting, Tundra tailgates, camshafts snapping, camry 6 speeds not acting right I know longer drink Toyota kool aid. This is just a partial list. They have gotten so big some stuff is starting to slip through the cracks. Ford just keeps improving and yes the Ranger is a relic no doubt. But, its solid, reliable but a little too small for what I really want. Trust me, I have had them all. At one time I though the sun set and rose at Toyota back in the 80's but not anymore. I think they probably make a decent product but some have caught up and then some.

The Ranger has 140 hp and I think 150 ft lbs and its about 250 lbs lighter. Its no V8 but I doubt it would be the complete slug my 89 s10 was with a 2.5 iron duke. As of late Ford is not playing the rebate game like they used to. A little more and I can get the Tacoma. I just gotta get out and drive them both and pick them both to death.

Products Discussed in

To Top