1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unidentified noise on 98 PreRunner

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by luvmy98PreRunner, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    luvmy98PreRunner

luvmy98PreRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner
    I am the original owner of a 98 PreRunner w/auto and 4cyl engine. I take extremely good care of it as I was a mechanic years ago. A noise became prevelant last winter when the temps began to drop. I tightened the belts(maybe a little more than necessary) but it seemed to work. I think it may have been around the same time the weather began to warm up. Well a year later and it started again. This time I took it directly to my Toyota Dealer who also heard the noise but could not pinpoint where it is from. The noise appears after accelerating to a speed and removing my foot from the gas pedal as the truck is coasting. It sounds similar to a squeak or belt squeal. I also thought it could be a bearing to an under the hood pump, but my dealer said they were fine. On a chance, I lubed my drive shaft and noticed a bearing in the center of the shaft that does not have a lube point. I am thinking this could be the culpret, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into anything similar. My truck has 105,000 miles on it, but like I said, it's my baby and I take exceptionally good care of it.

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Without actually hearing the noise or knowing it's location, I can only guess.

The bearing you are referring to is the carrier bearing. It could be coming from that, but again it's speculation.

It could also be a wheel bearing, a u-joint, axle bearing, etc. Is there anyway you can determine it's location?

3. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    luvmy98PreRunner

luvmy98PreRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner
    It's location seems to elude myself and the two mechanics at the dealership that drove around in it. They said they could hear it on the road, but not while on the lift. In any event, it does not seem easy to pinpoint it only because it would not be safe while driving to find it. And without just "replacing parts" there is no possible way to really know. My dealership has never encountered this in the past nor have they heard this from any other dealers. They had a 20 yr toyota mechanic veteran on it also. It doesn't affect how the truck runs and I'm guessing the noise will either get worse (at which point it can be diagnosed)or go away during the warm season again.

4. Feb 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You could remove the belts and turn you pulleys by hand to see if they have any resistance. They should feel pretty smooth.

You can check for play in the front wheel bearings by lifting the truck off the ground and grabbing the tires on the top and bottom. Then try to shake them in an alternating fashion (push in on the top while pulling out the bottom). That doesn't always work but it is worth a shot.

To check the rears you will need to pull the axles and "get dirty".

5. Dec 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    FireTruckTacoma

FireTruckTacoma TACO lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southside of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR double cab 4X4
    Nothing yet
    I had the same issue on my 2010 taco V6 4wd. I was driving on the highway in cold slushy flooded roads. Probably struck an ice block. The noise was so loud the radio on max couldn't drown it out. Took it to my dealer and he noticed the gas tank shield was bent and was touching the drive shaft knuckle. Explaining why the noise was speed sensitive. Easy free fix from probably the only good dealer I've ever met.

Products Discussed in

To Top