1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blazer Fog Light Retro

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by AsianAnts, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts [OP] just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    So I pulled the trigger on this not too long ago. I've been lurking around "Yota Toy"s thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/171829-blazer-fogs-factory-fog-housing.html) and finally finished the Blazer Fog Light Retro. Thanks Yota Toy for answering some questions I had. His thread was very easy to follow.

The kit was purchased from TRS and the heat sinks were purchased here:

UPDATE: Just google SKU: GWACS021 and get your 28mm heatsinks there
    GWS Heat Sink for 28mm Inrunner type motors
    SKU Number:GWACS021

He mentioned that he did the "Wire-Down Mod". That wire down mod can be found here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...OEM-Reflector.&p=314211&viewfull=1#post314211

Here are some pics. I have not done the wire done mod yet and I plan to do so during my time off for the Veteran's Day holiday. I also need to aim them a tad bit higher.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That last pic is due to my camera on phone being unable to capture the true color + the HID was just warming up.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll post up more pics after the 'wire-down mod'.

-AnT

2011-11-04 20.00.03.jpg
    2011-11-04 20.00.24.jpg
    2011-11-04 20.03.48.jpg
    2011-11-05 12.43.50.jpg
    2011-11-05 12.45.48.jpg
    2011-11-05 17.06.54.jpg
    2011-11-05 17.07.04.jpg
    2011-11-05 17.12.28.jpg
    2011-11-05 18.50.39.jpg
    2011-11-08 12.24.16.jpg
    2011-11-08 12.24.24.jpg
    2011-11-08 16.02.27.jpg
    2011-11-08 17.14.38.jpg

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    no ap1's lol

looks good buddy hows the out put compared to those 460's? those things light up like 10 lanes across lol

11463f86.jpg

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Haven't heard from your buddy man.. maybe you should poke him for me:boink:....

I asked TRS "what happened to the S2Ks? I don't see them on your site"
    They replied "S2K-R, Meh! that's all I have to say, lol." so yea.....

Dude... my 460s just washes out the fog lights.. LOL..but after looking at the wire down mod, i think it'll help... plus i need to aim the fogs a bit higher.

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    whats this wire down mod you speak of?

if i can ever get the headlights figured out lol i'm putting in ap1 s2000 in my arb fogs for sure man bjorn has a bunch of them?

either way that looks great man! i wanna see some out put shots the blazers are still fucking nice man i have seen a few in person but, they where the 4300k not the 3k.

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    Wire Down Mod as quoted from the HIDplanet thread

"As far as blazers go when the bulb is installed in the socket it ends up with the return wire facing up...

What you need to do is trim the stop tooth on the base of the bulb and that will allow you to rotate it 180° to where the return wire will face down and that will give you the following results.

Capture_21bd116eca89e1de32476ccdab01c3269137c49a.jpg"

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    How did you measure/hold the fog housings to drill into them?? This is the one thing I'm worried about doing this...but I'm getting VERY convinced that I want these.

Looks great man!!

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    got you it produces some artifacts in the beam but, intensity is increased like 5 fold lol. you can do this with headlight projectors as well though the effects aren't as dramatic.

good stuff ant lol dammit your one upping me on the hids :mad: now i have to go out and spend the money on the ap1 s2k retro lol

8. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    :facepalm:i actually saw that thread months ago lol i even saved it to the favorites.

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    Looks great!

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    With a 4300k bulb or higher i would understand that the return wire down mod may not be a good idea for the purpose of a fog light. But since im using 3k bulbs, the yellow would be more ideal to 'pierce' through the fogs ya? To me, the wire-down mod evens out the whole output out.
    i used a dremel because i didnt have a hole cutter for a drill. i set the fogs lens down on a cloth and held the dremel in one hand and the fog in the other (highly recommend using gloves for safety) and the circle came out nearly perfect.. i just took my time and used an air compressor to blow out all the debris each time before i test fitted the blazers... pretty simple and straight forward :)
    :thumbsup: what's next, flashlights? You're one upping me on your knives! i need to get some

THANK YOU!!!!!

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Stay tuned, Brunes. I might have concocted a way so you don't have to be as careful with the drilling through the back of the housing. :D

Ant, looks great man! I can't wait to get this done.

12. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    shweller

shweller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport SB 4x4
    PoP 'N' Lock Satoshi Grill (Did it Myself) DSM UCA's (Desert Products) FXR 1.1 w/Gatling Gun Shrouds Phillips 85122 Method Racing Wheels HID Hella 500's behind Satoshi grill Fog Light Anytime Illuminated 4x4 Switch Ultragauge PIAA 510"s King Coilovers w/resi's Rear TSB Leaf Packs All Pro Sliders Bolt on sliders 255/75 R17 BF Goodrich Mudders Spidertrax wheel spacers Neoprene arm rests Weathertechs Wet Okoles w/TRD Allpro Ofrroad Apex bumper and IFS skid plate
    Which wiring harness did you get from TRS for the retro?

13. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    didnt need one, i used the stock wiring... ended up returning the wireharness...

but if you dont have one and need one, it will be H10/9006 harness

14. Nov 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    PoP 'N' Lock Satoshi Grill (Did it Myself) DSM UCA's (Desert Products) FXR 1.1 w/Gatling Gun Shrouds Phillips 85122 Method Racing Wheels HID Hella 500's behind Satoshi grill Fog Light Anytime Illuminated 4x4 Switch Ultragauge PIAA 510"s King Coilovers w/resi's Rear TSB Leaf Packs All Pro Sliders Bolt on sliders 255/75 R17 BF Goodrich Mudders Spidertrax wheel spacers Neoprene arm rests Weathertechs Wet Okoles w/TRD Allpro Ofrroad Apex bumper and IFS skid plate
    Thanks for the info. I bought the complete Retro kit so I might be returning the harness myself. How did you go about setting the rotation of the projector in the fog light to get a level cut off line?

15. Nov 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    the mounting tabs on the projector should line up straight with the lines on the back of the projector housing....

where are you located? when you want to proceed with the retro, i can help you or something.. im in el monke.

16. Nov 26, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, I believe I just asked you the same question on another thread (noob move) . I'm in Garden grove (OC), I did a morimoto retro on my headlights on the first TRS group buy and am looking to do a retro on my fogs now since one of my HID ballasts went out on me.

17. Nov 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    oooooo yea.... u asked earlier, its cool :)

18. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    Blazers are on the way but the 9006 harness is back ordered along with with one of the heat sinks.Thinking about taking the light apart and putting in a CCFL ring on the inside of the outer edge of the reflector bowl with some kind of mini shroud......[​IMG]

19. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  20. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    shweller

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:

I’ve been looking around for a how to on how to do the wire down mod and can’tseem to find one. Any advice or an explanation of how to do this?

Products Discussed in

To Top