1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heading to Central Oregon/Bend area for a week

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by Phlip4x4Sport, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    Hi Everyone,

I am driving up from SoCal for a vacation and scouting for a possible move to the area. I am an ex-NorthEast guy so snow/ice is not an issue.
    What is the area like?
    What places should I see?
    Is there anyplace to day trip and see snow yet for my 2 1/2 year old?

Thanks!

2. Nov 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Definately gotta check out crater lake. Worthy!! Its a day trip south of Bend. That is, if it isn't closed by snow. I was there in July 2010 and some of the road around it was still closed due to snow.:eek:

3. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified
    Thanks! It is on the checklist of things to do. Looks like the road to the edge is open:) but the road around the lake is already closed due to snow! :eek:

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Yeah, not really surprised. You should be able to at least get up to the lodge area and see the lake from that angle.

5. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Mt. Bachelor, Mount Hood, In Bend the Descheuts (I know I spelt that wrong) brewery

6. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    The huge lava tube and lavr cast forest just south of bend are pretty cool. You can drive up to mt bachelor west of bend for snow. Also if your in bend go peruse the old mill district.

7. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

Sweet! Thanks. I have added the ski areas to the list and I found the
    http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/locations/bend

:cheers:

:pray: Come on snow!!!! (They're not quite open yet)

8. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

Nice! Adding the exploration of lava tube caves :thumbsup:and the old mill district.

9. Nov 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified
    Bump for more ideas... I am there for five days and have the ability to travel and get a hotel somewhere. What else is possible? Thanks!!!

10. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    oregon trail museum, there's some museums on the john day fossil beds. Sunriver resort has stuff if you need resort-type stuff (horseback riding is probably good at this time).
    Metolius river
    Newberry crater, etc.
    I'd imagine you could cross country ski or snowmobile the entire week if you wanted to, lol

One of the little-known places I love is the Kam Wah Chung building in John Day. Basically these two Chinese guys built a business near the turn of last century, which became a safe house and medicine shop. They eventually died and the building got boarded up, untouched for about 30 years. It got turned over to the historical society, and when they opened the door - the place was pristine, as if the Chinese men had only left for the weekend, not 30 years. Totally amazing guided tour, lasts about 1 hour. Make sure to check with the city to see if they are open for the winter.

To Top