1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Pyle PLBASS8 8-Inch Super Slim Active Subwoofer crapped out!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ratrod, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    ratrod

ratrod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    I bought this slim subwoofer so I could have a little more bass. It worked great for a few months then crapped out. I still have power going to the sub and all wires ar hooked up from what I can tell but get no sound. Anybody have this problem with a sub or this one in particular? Dont want to buy another and may take apart to see if I fried something. The power light is on the protected light is off and all fuses are good. Help.

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    mk7

mk7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 TRD Off Road
    If you have a multimeter you can disconnect the sub from the amplifier and measure the resistance of the voice coil, typical values for a good sub will be between 2 and 6 ohms.

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    Dont know how to disconnect sub from amp. all in on. I can unscrew and open. I may just rerun a set of wires and test again.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    TheAvgBo

TheAvgBo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 5 lug
    Fat bobs 2.75 front spacer, 17inch black Fuel Octanes, 265/70/17 Dyna Pro ATM RF10
    A little off subject but did that thing sound good?

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
  6. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Why would you re-run wires? The damn thing powers on so you know it's getting juice. Unless your RCA wires got chewed through by a wombat those should be good too. I'm thinking you just toasted the speaker driver in there.

7. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:

Gaadammn wombat! Maybe I fried it but it doesn't hurt to make sure before I call it toast. I actually cant remember what the 3rd wire is to. I have power ground rca and the other I guess runs to the hu. That's the wire un worried about. If I toast speaker driver is there a way to fix?

8. Nov 16, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    If you toast the speaker the only thing you can do is replace the speaker or the whole unit. The 3rd wire you're talking about is the remote wire. This is the wire that tells it to turn on.

Here's how you can trouble shoot that. With the car on, turn the radio OFF, then turn the truck off. Now turn the truck on but leave the radio off. Look at the power lights on the sub, do they come on? Now turn the radio on, did the lights on the sub fire up?

PS: This is why you solder connections. So you don't EVER have to worry about loose connections.

9. Nov 16, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Most likely it's not your wiring, it's the sub. Pyle is bottom of the barrel, but even so i belive it should have a warranty that they'll honor since it's only been a few months.

Products Discussed in

To Top