1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

8" Sub Opinions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by XJBaylor, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    I just ordered a sub box from Mr. Marv that will contain one 8" sub behind the drivers side rear seat. The box will be roughly .33ft^3. They will most likely be powered by a MRX-V60 (though an XR-5s PDX-5 are also possibilities.)

My priorities for the sub are:

1. Functionality - For me, that is a grill on the sub, as I often have the seats down and the back loaded with gear
    2. SQ
    3. SPL

I want a sub with a factory grill for a simple, finished look. My top 3 contenders are the Polk MM840, JL8w3v3 and Alpine SWR-843D. I am 100% sure I would be happy with each sub. Prices are similar enough to be a non-factor. All 3 subs are supposedly good performers in small sealed enclosures. The Polk and Alpine are each available in a DVC, so I could run them at 2-ohms. JL and Alpine have the better grills for my application. JL has the lowest power handling and XMax, which may be bad running such a small box and only a single 8, but honestly, I don't understand TSP well enough to know that for sure. Etc, etc, etc...

At this point I am not sure if I should go for the cheapest option, the most expensive, Marv's recommendation, etc. I don't know if it is worth modeling each sub (not that I know how to do that) or just closing my eyes and making a choice.

Any helpful advice from those that really know their stuff?

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    In a small sealed box, you are not going to see a huge difference in output with any of those subs, with that power.

Personally, I would rule out the JL based on the limited Xmax, and replace it with the JBL GTO 804.

Next, I would do a basic comparison in a WinISD or Bass Box Pro. Like this:

[​IMG]
    Alpine is yellow
    JBL is red
    Polk is blue
    [​IMG]

But remember, this is based on 1w, and does not take into account efficiency or xmax.

Also, note the Q of the box. The Polk is quite high, due to the box size.

Beyond that, the JBL has a much higher sensitivity, middle of the pack Xmax between the two.

The Type R would thrive with more power, or a ported box.

The polk - I am not too impressed, but it looks decent.

Personally, I would buy the JBL subs. In fact, I did buy the JBL's. There are various reasons, but I honestly think they are some of the best bang for buck drivers out there, and in a small sealed application, I dont think there is much better available for low power applications.

With that said, I am considering changing to a single Alpine Type R thin 10", ported, but I dont make sense sometimes...

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    I have the 2 OHM version of the Alpine sub you posted. I love it. However, I am not sure what you mean about the sub having a grill, as the alpine sub you stated has no grill protecting it. Sure it has the rubber top that will kind of protect it from anything that is flat on top of it, but that is not a grill that will actually protect it.

Not sure if what I posted seems logical.

4. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    The jl audio w3 is one of the best sounding 8" subs money can buy I put 4 of them in a customers dura ax recently and I sounded great, lower. Max not too big a deal it could move a foot but in the end it's still an 8 they aren't gonna hit hard or be boomy they weren't designed to but they will sound great!

5. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    Alpine offers a grill called the KTE-8G designed specifically for the 8" Type-R subs. It is not included with the sub, but is available...if you can find one.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kte-8g

6. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC

"boomy" is a function of the enclosure design, or in most cases, a bad design.

And 8" subs can "hit" plenty hard - its a function of displacement ability, power, and box design.

And an example of 4 drivers doing well is not really a good comparison. You are talking about displacement close to a pair of 12" drivers, and saying a pair of 12" subs sounds good is great, but not really helpful... But I bet they would sound good. And a great option if you are dimensionally limited one way, but have enough room for multiples.

A single 8 is still a single 8 - this is true. But in a cab, with solid midbass reinforcement, it should be great for listening to music. Higher xmax, and greater efficiency make a big difference in these situations, and 10mm (Polk and JL) vs 12 or 14mm is a 20-40% difference in air displacement... It matters.

But since we all know you wont be driving around with it running "full tilt" all the time, there are other concerns. First, when a sub gets close to suspension or motor limits you see an increase in distortion. So in a situation where you are jamming out, a good motor that wont be a problem, and suspension to support your listening volume with out distortion are beneficial.

Im not saying the JL is a bad sub. I am saying there are other options that are better suited for a single, 8" driver in a sealed box.

7. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I would argue the Tmax is a big deal because it is an 8. As the cone area is small the only way it can create displacement is through extension. Though I will admit most of my 12v knowledge is pretty theoretical at this point.

8. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    While that is true the more excursion a woofer cone is capable of the louder it will be it is just such an insignificant change in output with a big negative impact on sound quality I will never sell a customer looking for higher output bigger subs or even subs the same size with a higher x max the only realistic way to get more output is with more woofers there are exceptions to this but he isn't going to fit a jl 8w7 or equivelant behind his seat, my point was more that of the specs and subs he is looking at the 8w3 is going to be by far the best sub of the three he is looking at in every possible category, and yes I know 4 of them is the cone area of a pair of 12s I wasn't saying he should get them because they are loud I was speaking of the sound quality which Is going to be the same wether you have 1 or 20 of them.

Haha I have been drinking way too much to keep posting on here I just tried to read this and all the information is usefull but I have a hard time following and I wrote it. Sorry I'm done for the night

9. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Bye bye

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I get what you are saying with the high excursion being detrimental to sound quality.But I think the comment that I put in bold is a little suspicious. What specs lead you to believe that the JL will be the "best...in every possible category," that isn't the kind of statement you make unless you can back it up.

Have you done blind A/B testing on all three subs in a .33 ft^3 enclosure? I am not trying to disagree, but I find that big blanket statements based on opinion are rarely helpful. Any facts you have to back that up would be much appreciated.

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Matt - First of all, thanks for speaking up, you are one of the 2-3 guys on here that I respect the most as far as 12v stuff goes. I was interested in the JBL but considering the fact that (I think) all of these are very competitive with each other, I decided to stick to those subs with a factory made grill. I do agree however, that if I were doing an install with multiple subs the JBL is just too good and cheap to ignore.

Do you think that the Alpine is too inefficient to run off 300-350rms and match the performance of the others? I can get one of those right now for $109, which seems pretty good to me.

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    jefd804

jefd804 Member

Member:
    I boughtthe jl w3 last month. The best 8" sub ive ever heard. My 16 yr old son has some 12" subs that just BooM !! you can here him coming from a block away. My jl 8" sub has more "punch" than boominess sound. Sounds great with rock music and smooth jazz.

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    I would go with the most efficient sub because of your amp. I know spl was at the bottom of your list, but imo they will all have about the same sq.

14. Nov 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    I have the JL w3... its my first system, but I really wouldn't want any more bass in my access cab. I'm not going to drive around with earplugs.

Sound quality is good, but I really doubt its the best 8" sub. I would have really liked to hear the Alpine Type -R but couldnt find anyone who had one in stock to hear. The reviews of it sound awesome.

good luck

15. Nov 19, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    No, I think it will be fine. When I was shopping I had an XR5s, and wanted a pair, so I wasnt comfortable with giving them half of rated power in a box that was a bit small. I think you will enjoy the sub quite a bit, and the extra xmax will do you well.

For some reason I was thinking you were looking at 200w @ 2 ohm, not 300w, so I think a good 350-400 (what you can actually expect from a PDX or Kenwood if you go that route, at full tilt (which you wont be running...) will provide the output you want.

16. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    Yes it is just opinion but. Not just mine i have run car audio stores for the last 17 years and carry all of the subs he is considering after selling hundreds of the damn things I have learned what works well and what doesn't there is a reason that the only 2 8" subs we keep I. Stock anymore are the jbl and the jl audio. I actually don't base my opinions on the specs of the woofers. Because while that is important the manufacturer specs doe t mean shit if you don't like the sound of it. Over the years probably 75% of my customers who wanted an 8 and went with something other than the jl against my advise ended up using our 30 day satisfaction promise And came back to exchange it for the 8w3. That is what I am basing my claims in and yeas it is based on opinion but it is a fairly well reasearched one, now if you don't want to spend that much money many people are still very happy with the jbl gto for a lot less coin. Is it as good, no but it's a he'll of a lot better than half as good for half the price.

I apologize for last nights posting I was pretty smashed and internet sounded like a good idea, the best thing to do is go to some stores and listen to a few things.

17. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    It is still on my list for sure, hopefully I can find one to audition in my car soon.

18. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    XJBaylor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Well, I bought one SWR-843d last night. Techronics had it for $88 and change, but I went with Al and Ed's as they are an authorized reseller for $99. All that is left now is to find a good deal on a 5-channel amp and to start watching the porch for my box from Mr. Marv.

Products Discussed in

To Top