1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2ohm or not 2ohm that is the question .

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ratrod, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    ratrod

ratrod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    Can someone explain the 2ohm 4ohm when choosing amps and subwoofers?

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
  3. Nov 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
  4. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
  5. Nov 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, thanks! Not trying to go BIG. Just want a little more bass. I think 2500w rms is probably a little more than I need, hahaha. Just probably want a single 10" sub that I can squeeze behind the back seat of double cab to get a little kick! It seems to be a difficult task with the amount of room given.

6. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    Durdum

Durdum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Dfw
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab
    Audio!
    2 ohm vs. 4 ohm. This is important when your buying a system. Not because of sound quality but because of matching the right equipment with one another. For instance if you have a two channel amp and you are running a subwoofer off of it the amp with give you the most usable power on a 4 ohm load by bridging the amplifier. If you were to get an 8 ohm load you would have half the power from the 4 ohm load. If you used a 2 ohm load it will overheat the amp and shut off the sound. So 4 ohm is optimal for 2 channel amps. On the other hand when you have a mono block a.k.a. 1 channel amp, typically they give you their optimum power at 2 ohms. In some cases with higher end mono block amplifiers may be 1 ohm stable or lower. If you want to run a small 10 inch woofer find out if it is 2 ohm or 4 ohm and match it up with the correct amp, if it is a dual voice coil don't for get ohms law.

Products Discussed in

To Top