1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Restocking my house opinions needed on best knives, pots and pans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Killer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    Killer

Killer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I am starting over again and before I bought some junk, I wanted to see you all opinion on what is the best bang for the buck on kitchen knives and pots and pans?

In the past, I had J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 19-Piece Knife Set with Block

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-He...r_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1322487994&sr=1-1

and Emeril Stainless Steel Pots & Pans

http://www.amazon.com/Emeril-Stainless-Steel-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00284B9DS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322488047&sr=1-2

I liked the J.A. Henckels knives but, was not in love with the Stainless Steel pots & pans. They cooked great but, a little hard to clean.

So let me know, what you think?

Thanks for your help!

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Buy your knives ONE by ONE ( not by the set )

I LOVE this brand (R.H. Forschner)....They have every knife you need.
    Start with this one (8 inch chef knife)
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-40520-Fibrox-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000638D32

Pots and pans, Find a local restaurant supply store, get something for commerical kitchen use, it's the best!
    Vollrath brand is awesome stuff
    http://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-Nonstick-Fry-Pan-10/dp/B0001V3O6U

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I have various Wusthof Classic knives and have been more than satisfied with them. They handle well and hold an edge. Forschner/Victorinox are good also. Reasonable in price and hold an edge. Pots and pans I have Allclad stainless. These are more expensive but have a more even heat for cooking and clean up easy for me. Hope this helps.

4. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    All these companies make various levels of quality knives. I have Wusthof and Henckels knives also have a few Chicago Cutlery knives. My opinion the higher end Chicago knives are close competition for the others. My ex tried to get them in the divorce but I sacrificed other stuff to keep those knives. She can't even cook just wanted to be a bitch.
    I like my Revere ware pots and pans but I'd like to upgrade those in future. They are old but are holding up really well. Nothing beats the quality workmanship from days gone by.

neontrail said buy the knives one at a time and I completely agree. I have a mix like I said above and that's from getting the best knife for its purpose.

Good luck.

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    wushtof knives classic series, all clad pans.

i was a chef in philly at like 5 4 star rest and one 5 star le bec fin i had used many knives but, for a hard use professional style set of knives wushtof is the best imo. forshner for the cheapies and a decent ceramic for the fine stuff.

all clad is awesome thats what we have in our house for years now they are quite literally the best pan you can buy. the different metals have different characteristics copper and aluminum are going to conduct heat the best but, can react with certain foods and be price prohibitive ie copper. steel is the way to go for hard use everyday pans if you really want grab a suacier in copper or some shit to make cooking that much nicer but, it's not nessary.

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    lol me too wushtof classic, and all clad stainless /end thread.

7. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  8. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Dang man, and here I am cooking with hand-me-downs from the parents. As much as I cook, I need to do some investing.

9. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have the Emeril pots and pans, I like them. They're nice an heavy and well built for the price. They cook evenly too.

The trick to cleaning stainless pots and pans is white vinegar. Believe me, it works. I keep a some in a bottle next to the sink. Pour a little bit of vinegar in the pan with your dish soap and it will take that hazy residue right off and they'll look brand new. Since it's a mild acid, it eats right through the grime that the soap won't remove. DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER! Same goes for your knives, it's better to hand wash them and towel dry them to avoid water spots. Not to mention, pots and pans take up a lot of room in the dishwasher.

I have a set of Henckels knives and I like those too. Just keep them sharp and you'll be happy. Also, to be honest you'll probably only use maybe 2 or 3 of the knives. The only knives I really use out of my set is the Chefs knife, the paring knife, the steak knives, and the bread knife, the rest just sit and collect dust.

Buy one of these
    [​IMG]

I swipe my knives through it once or twice after each use and it keeps them super sharp.

10. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Toytec/Eibach coils w/ 5100's set at 0, Toytec 2.0 Aluma Rear Shocks, Toytec Boss Leaf Springs, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    I bought a set of Rachael Ray 10 piece Hard-Anodized cookware set for $93 a month ago at Kohls.com. So far it's been great. It heats up evenly and easy to clean. Also, the orange and gray color combination looks cool.

Currently, it's on sale for $150 on Kohls.com but there is a 20% coupon code, CYBER20, which includes free shipping.

[​IMG]

11. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
  12. Nov 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Go to a store that specializes in cooking and choose your knives one by one there by holding them in your hand. Look for a full tang and strong construction. if the knife is dull you can always sharpen it. A harder steel means you don't have to sharpen as often but is harder to do so, and a soft steel is easy to sharpen but you have to more often. For pans all clad has some good stuff, thats what my dad has. I use Paderno professional series. Its a Canadian company so I don't know if you could get them easily. Sets are good but I mix and match my pans also, mostly in the same series though. If you don't have one already get a cast iron frying pan, Mine is like my best friend.

Edit: the knives I use are a 10" Henckels chef knife, a paderno slicer, a henckels birds beak, and a shun pairing knife.

13. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    ^^^ yup. I love my cast iron. can't beat it for even heat.

14. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    consumer reports, they know the score.

15. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Your local restaurant supply store is your friend, as previously mentioned.
    High quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Stay away from the consumer grade stuff or you will be re-purchasing in a few years.

Products Discussed in

To Top