1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamond Plated Aluminum Tailgate Reinforcement- COMING SOON!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Mfranco636, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    Mfranco636

Mfranco636 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    [FONT=&quot]Hello TW-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A buddy of mine is just about done with making me reinforcement for my 2010 Toyota Tacoma tailgate. This reinforcement replaces the black plastic and the stock cap. It’s made of is 1/8 thick Diamond Plated Aluminum that adds a tremendous amount of strength to your stock tailgate. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This time of the year is slow for him and will be making 10-15 of them to start. He will be selling them for $225+ shipping on Ebay and $205+ shipping to any TW member. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Below are pictures of the prototype. My buddy made it 2 inches to short and should have a completed product in about a week or so. Once, I get the completed product I will take more pictures of it installed as well as with my quad on the back. I just want to get a better idea of who would be interested in purchasing it; because once mid January comes it’s going to be tough for him to make a bunch at once. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The only thing you would need to do is drill the holes for the screws which is fairly easy. What you want to do is use the stock plastic tailgate cover as a template and mark where the holes need to be drilled. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Your input is very important to me. Please let me know your thoughts.
    [/FONT]

TAILGATE 1.jpg
    TAILGATE 2.jpg
    TAILGATE 3.jpg
    TAILGATE 4.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    I think work needs to be done to that design. In the last pic the attaching fastener didn't even pass through the plate. That cost is way high also. I personally would never pay that kind of cash for a poorly made item.

Good luck with that.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Close but needs some refinement

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    He said it was too short and being remade so the fasteners will all catch. Agreed on the price though, little too steep for me...

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    Mfranco636

Mfranco636 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    Thank you Pugga for your comment. That is just a prototype and it will be the same size as the stock black cover. I'm doing all of this because he is using my truck as a guinea pig. I have no control over the price. I appreciate all your feedback. More pictures to come with the final product in about a week.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    The fasteners must go through the diamond plate. That looks horrible, but it is a good idea.

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    that is a steep price!

8. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    copy mine much?

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Is yours short? :eek:

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    :ohsnap:

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    :duel:

12. Dec 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Mfranco636

Mfranco636 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    First of all I want to apologize to everyone about this post. I purchased a 2010 Tacoma in May and recently moved into a new neighborhood and this guy who lives down the street has a Tacoma on steroids and I approached him to ask him about his Tonneau Cover. That conversation lead to him helping me install my cover, sold me his old seat covers, and helped me de-badge my truck. He became someone I knew I can trust to ask advice on my truck and I began to trust him, and that’s when he became a “buddy” of mine.

He approached me over the summer and telling me about how the Tacoma’s tailgates are week and since I’m loading and unloading my quad that eventually the tailgate was going to get bent and have a problem closing. He said was close to making a design made out of Diamond plate to make the gate stronger. I was totally stoked. About a few months went by and he said that it was going to send me back $250 bucks for it and that it was a good deal and that a new gate will send me back 3 times as much and that it better to fix the problem now before it gets worst blah blah blah… I didn’t have that kind of money at all, being a college student financing myself through school working as a landscaper when I didn’t have school and bartending at night.

About 2 days we got a really bad storm and a tree fell on his car, and totaled the truck out. He called me about a week later saying that since his truck is totaled that he would use my truck as a test sample and if I helped him out, marketing his, so called brilliant idea, that he would give me one for free for doing this leg work. I was a little skeptical because I didn’t have any idea how or where to market it and he said he knew of a website dedicated to Tacoma owners… He showed me the design and I was like WOW this is great. All I have to do is take pictures of it on my truck and give out the ebay address and that was it. At this point I should have listen to my gf who said it sounds a little shady, why couldn’t he do it. I was convinced that he was a good guy. My gf was speaking to his wife and his wife said that she didn’t know what was going on and that she didn’t want to get involved. RED FLAG.

So months later he tell me that he will be getting a prototype and here we are. After I put out the posting I tell him that people are saying that the price is to step and some also wrote a post about being a copy cat and he got very defensive. Last night I did some research on the forum and found out the same design that he showed me was the design that relentless posted years ago. I called him last night, no call back; I went to his house this morning and confronted him and flipped out and said he was going to beat my ass and all this stuff. So here I am now. I feel very betrayed and just realized that all the info that he was telling me was all from this website.

I came to the conclusion that his car got totaled and he needed money so he figure he use me to put this posting out so I can take the heat and look bad instead of him. I know he is a member on here and tried looking for his build but couldn’t find it. He just sent me a text message stating that I will be giving him 250 bucks for making the product for me and I didn’t follow through on our deal.

I’m an honest person and very embarrassed by this. I wanted to let everyone know on here that I’m sorry and was fed a lie.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    no problem

14. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    wow. Id take that shit off my truck and leave it on his front lawn and be done with him. Call the cops of he tries to start shit.

15. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    sounds like a big mess, but thanks for trying to help us all out

16. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    No worries, thanks for the honesty

Little did he know nobody would have bought his anyways, because everybody loves relentless :D

17. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    IrishAmerican

IrishAmerican Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SR5 4x4
    Lift, XD wheels, Tinted, K&N, 285 Cooper STTs
    Is it too late to order??? :p

18. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn man, that sucks but good for you for posting up the whole story! That guy sounds like a real piece of work... Tell him he didn't follow through on his end either because that tail gate guard isn't for a Tacoma since it's too short :D

19. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Of course, you could just put a piece of 3/4" thick plywood over your tailgate when loading/unloading the quad...

20. Dec 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Man how do you miss the dimensions by 2 whole inches?! That's the first big screaming red flag. Sorry about your troubles, OP.

Products Discussed in

To Top