1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'96 Tacoma Headlight Upgrades

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stoffregen Motors, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Stoffregen Motors

Stoffregen Motors [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cool, CA
  2. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744

If you are looking for light output only, buy these and upgrade the bulbs and wiring harness. I had them on two previous trucks and really wish I could get a set to fit my current truck. I had 80/100watt bulbs and a custom harness I put together to handle the extra amp draw. As long as they were aimed right, no one ever flashed me, and they made the extra 130W off road lights I had completely unnecessary.

A buddy has them on a Jeep he owns. Even with a lift and 90/100watt bulbs he has no problems with glare for oncoming traffic.

As far as style....that's your call. I know the newer factory lights don't have the potential for good output that you have now with your current setup.

BTW-Your link says 4x6 size lights. I am ALMOST certain that you want 5x7 size. Also known as 200mm. Fits all square headlight Tacos up till 97 I believe. Double check me, but I used to sell auto parts and I have a pretty good memory.

Some will chime in and recommend HIDs. I don't know much about those, but the quality seems to be hit and miss. For the price, hard to go wrong with the Hella conversions. You can have the lights, upgraded bulbs, and harness for under 200 bucks and they should be reliable for you. I did seem to burn out the 80W low beams fairly frequently. You can also get a 55W (stock wattage) low beam that will still put out ridiculous light compared to what you have now. Technically not street legal, but neither are HIDs.

3. Dec 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    x2! I ran a set of these on my '92 Pickup, and loved them - Highly recommended!

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Stoffregen Motors

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cool, CA
    Great! I like the look of the newer lights, but I thought I would get better performance from the sealed beam style.

Did you buy their wiring upgrade or make one? I see they offer two wiring upgrades, one with separate relays. Sky's the limit with new separate Bosch style relays...

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I made my harness. I used twelve gauge wire from the battery, to each relay (high/low), then twelve gauge out to the lights and back to ground. The only issue I had is I could not find h4 plugs with 12 gauge wire leads. So the last couple of inches of wire is 14 gauge at the lights. That isn't a problem, I just was going for minimum voltage drop at the lights. Ran the truck for six years like that with no issues.

There are cheaper harnesses out there. My buddy has one on his Jeep that was around 30 bucks. It's been fine, no failures. Check Summit and Jegs and see if they have one and what they want for it. There may be a vendor on Tacoma World that carries them too, not sure.

If you do it, be sure you get the correct harness for a Toyota. I think the first gen Taco is negatively switched, the second gen is positive (normal).

6. Dec 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Mexicant

Mexicant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Crawlerado
    Vehicle:
    Braap
    Or if you don't want to drop the coin for the hella setup Amazon has the silverstar's for $18 a piece. Much better than the stock factory headlights.

7. Dec 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
  8. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I was happy with stock wattage bulbs on stock wiring. The "lenses" provided a very nice upgrade over stock headlights.

9. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    This is a good point. Might be best to just stay with the stock wattage at first. You might not even want more at that point. I was happy with the low beam especially. But if you ever do want more, I'm telling you the first time I tried the 100w high beams I was like: "damn!" :D

10. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    Stoffregen Motors

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cool, CA
    I live in the mountains and BRIGHT lights is a must. My wife's Scion Xb has the best headlights I've ever seen. I had originally thought HID, but you guys are making some good arguments. $110 for a pair of good lights, plus $35-$100 for wiring.

I would like to run a good reverse light too. Like these which I have mounted on customer's trucks. http://visionxsuperstore.com/SolsticeSolo2SquareLEDLight35WideBeamXIL-S1101.aspx

Products Discussed in

To Top