1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front half shaft play normal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iroc409, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I was underneath the truck doing some inspections recently--just checking boots, loose parts, that sort of thing. I reached up and grabbed the driver's side front half shaft and wiggled it, and it wiggled a fair amount. I had ahold of it near the front differential, and I think I had my hand on it between the differential and the universal joint.

I was also rotating the tires, and tried to wiggle it with the front end off the ground. I was in kind of an odd position, but it didn't seem to want to wiggle when the suspension was fully relieved.

Is this play normal? It didn't really seem like it was just play in the joint or whatever, which I'm not sure I'd expect anyway.

I am just wondering if this is something I need to get looked at or not. Warranty is up at the end of December or January I think.

I meant to go around and check the passenger side half shaft, but forgot to do it. I'm not near the truck now so I can't check at the moment.

2. Dec 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    OK, whew.

I was worried too because I found some oil on the bottom of the diff. I changed the drivetrain fluids a few months back. It's either leaking, or still left from the change. Buuut, I haven't driven it a lot really since then, and the rear diff and even the oil drain plug area still looks "wet" from the change--so I hope it was just I missed wiping off some residual fluids. Probably going to be putting a lot of miles on it over Christmas, possibly the 4WD.

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
  4. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Wow, with a video--nice! Yeah, that's exactly what I was seeing. Seems odd there's that much movement right at the differential, but glad to know it's normal.

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Deliman619

Deliman619 No bad days

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Extang Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTechs, Borla Exhaust, ICON 2.5s w/resi all four corners, ICON UCAs, ICON AAL, aFe CAI, All-Pro Flip Kit, and CBI sliders
    Was concerned about this as well as I noticed it on my last oil change. Good stuff.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    outbackzerrhouse

outbackzerrhouse New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD
    I just figured this out recently myself. I heard that half shaft jigling from the first time off road. May be normal but I think poor enginearing. Loose tolerance causes premature wear in my opinion and I have to hear this all the time. Not what you want to hear from a vehicle you want to feel good about. Heard there was an aftermarket bearing for the transfer case to tighten this up but not sure that makes sence. Sure would like to find out a solution. A dealer mechanic says I'm not the first to complain but toyota does not consider it an issue. The passenger side is more snug and there is less play when you pick the wheels of the ground. Mine even jiggles when in 4 wheel. Verry disapointed in Toyota's new engineering standards.

7. Aug 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    East Coast Gear Supply ( ECGS ) makes the bearing you are referring to

This thread may interest you

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152173

8. May 24, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    jagergirll

jagergirll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 RC
    OME Suspension ARB Bumper Rock Sliders BFG KO2 A/T 245/75R16 Camper Shell
    Great video answered my question about the play I have.

Products Discussed in

To Top