1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: Reg cab rear driveshaft flip

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bendbolden, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden [OP] Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Many people have experienced a grinding noise from there rear driveshaft after lifting there regular cab. Some have even had it happen to a stock suspension. After reading alot of different threads most people seem to think the noise is coming from the slip yoke on our one piece drive shafts. Even though this is a simple job I thought it may give some the confidence to go ahead and try it.

Tools needed:

Two 14mm wrenches
    Cheater bar or breaker bar as the bolts are pretty tight
    an extra person makes the job alot easier

Here is a picture of the shaft after it has been flipped with an arrow pointing to the area the noise was coming from.

[​IMG]

The above picture is what yours will look like after the flip is done.

1) Begin by blocking your front wheels on level ground and lifting the rear tires off of the ground just enough so they free spin.

2) You can start on either end of the shaft but I chose to start with the transmission end.

[​IMG]

3) Begin by loosening each of the four bolts on this side of the shaft. Only two are pictured but the other two are just opposite on the other side of the shaft. It makes it easier to spin the shaft where you want it then lock the parking break to hold it steady. The bolts will stay in place on this end; only the nuts and washer will come off.

4) Now go to the other end and repeat the same process. On this end you will need a wrench on either side so the bolt doesn't spin on you. You will remove the bolts from this end so when you do make sure it doesn't fall off. The shaft is light and can be supported with one hand so don't worry about the weight of it.

[​IMG]

5) Once you have everything undone lightly tap the transmission end off with a hammer. Note that the slip yoke will slide in and out allowing you to get the shaft off. Also note that each end of the shaft has a centering hole / set pin in the center of it so you will have to slide the shaft straight out.

6) With the shaft off go ahead and grease the zirk fitting on each U-joint, flip the shaft and repeat all of these steps in reverse and you're done!

Just a few more notes:

All of these pictures were taken after I did the flip but it doesn't change the steps. Sorry if this is confusing.

Don't worry about draining fluids to do any of this as everything stays sealed up.

Be extra careful not too damage the rubber boot over the slip yoke.

I didn't use torque specs. Just tighten it all back up pretty snug and check them again after a day or two.

Again here is the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to discuss theories as to why this is happening but here is my theory based on my grandpa's theory.:notsure:

He seemed to think that the transmission is mounted on some rubber supports or something like that and allows for more vibration at the slip yoke. Basically when you flip it you are putting the yoke on the end that is less prone to any vibrations. Also from reading it seemed like whenever others packed there slip yoke with grease or put in a new driveshaft with new grease the problem stopped only to return when the grease compacted. This theory seems good enough for me but I am interested to here what others think. Also sorry I didn't get better pics but my truck bed was full of snow and when I started working and between a heated shop and all that snow I got a little wet and had to take pics this morning instead.

:burnrubber:

2. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    reserved for future use

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I guess I'm failing to see how that helps? :confused: It seems all that would accomplish is moving the noise further back so you don't hear it anymore vs. actually fixing the problem or does putting the slip yolk away from the transmission really eliminate vibes?

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    You are the only person I have heard of doing this. Did it help you any?

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I don't have a definant answer yet other than my theory. It definately stopped it though. That yoke does have a tiny amount of vertical play in it but again I just don't know for sure.

6. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Yes the noise went away completely. There are alot of reg cab guys out there having this problem but the threads never went anywhere so it's probably not documented well. But now it is.:D

7. Dec 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I believe this is a different problem than any of the "driveline vibrations" that are being fixed by putting shims in and is only being seen in the reg cab one piece shafts.

8. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    apierce7565

apierce7565 I eat terrorism and crap freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 standard
    ARB Safari snorkel, snug top, snug rug, yakima rack bars, ARB front bumper, plasti-dip camper shell windows, sway bar removal, turn signal reposition, led dome lights, recon smoke roof cab lights, 8000k xenon HIDs, 5100 Billy coilovers and rear shocks, tundra leafs, 3 inch lift rear shackles, 315/75-16 Bfg km2, 16"/8" Eagle Alloy 100 series black wheels, grey wire mod, deckplate mod, diff breather mod, Rola roof rack with tire carrier, trimmed front and rear fenders
    This is probably a retarded question but does the 2nd gens have a straight drive shaft? And if it does would it fit on a second gen?

9. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Regular cab's have a 1 piece drive shaft.
    Extended/Double Cabs have a 2 piece with carrier bearing.

10. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    nice write up op. i am flipping mine this weekend

11. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Thanks!

12. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    apierce7565

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    ARB Safari snorkel, snug top, snug rug, yakima rack bars, ARB front bumper, plasti-dip camper shell windows, sway bar removal, turn signal reposition, led dome lights, recon smoke roof cab lights, 8000k xenon HIDs, 5100 Billy coilovers and rear shocks, tundra leafs, 3 inch lift rear shackles, 315/75-16 Bfg km2, 16"/8" Eagle Alloy 100 series black wheels, grey wire mod, deckplate mod, diff breather mod, Rola roof rack with tire carrier, trimmed front and rear fenders
    would it be possible to change an extended cab to a straight drive shaft?

13. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I am almost positive the one piece and two piece driveshafts will not interchange on the 2nd gens. I would imagine the same is true for the 1st gens. What are you trying to accomplish?

14. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    apierce7565

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    theres vibration at low speeds and so i think i bent my drive shaft so im wanting to get a heavy duty drive shaft possibly from and older tundra if possible

15. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I doubt you would match one up with a different model truck but I''m not sure. I would probably get someone to make you one versus trying to match one. I don't know who or where to go for that but I have seen someone on here mention it. Just search around on driveshaft posts and you will find it.

16. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    apierce7565

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    thanks i appreciate it

17. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    no problem. good luck

18. Dec 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Nice write up with pictures. However, I have a 1st gen and there is a 2 piece U- joint design (double cardan) on the tranny side and doubt if this is "flip"able? anyone with thoughts on this? I had a 3.5" lift for years on it and just removed it about 5 months ago. Now, I'm getting vibrations in the 72-76 mph range.

19. Dec 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    ryber

ryber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    kitchener, ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Reg Cab 4X4
    285/75/16 MTZ's.... OME lift(885s)...4:88 gears.... Front and rear ARB.... Homemade skids
    Couple of nice pics of my truck you got there..:p
    I did this flip about a year and a half ago after i got the vibe from my OME lift.
    As I've said in other threads it work at first but the vibes eventually came back and are the same right now as they were before the flip.
    Whether or not it will return on every truck flipping there drive shaft ,I dont know. But give it a try thou Id like to see if you get the vibes back eventually or not

garyregcab14 likes this.
  20. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Will do. I knew someone would claim them soon enough haha. I will post up any changes.

Products Discussed in

To Top