1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WS ATF Compatibility Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dragonle87, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    dragonle87

dragonle87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Are there any Toyota WS ATF compatibility?

I emailed Castrol & they said their "Import Multi Vehicle" is compatible with it, but I don't see it on their website.

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    arvizu9618

arvizu9618 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RT
    PHX AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 D-Cab SPORT SB
    Map/Dome Light on same time, Beep onLock, Anytime DTRL's, Fog Light on any time, Cockpit lights in footwells, night light in cup holder and rear of console, Radio ON w/ ignition off (off with timer), 3157 socket for rear turn signals (BRIGHTER), Reverse Light Mod, Tap light in console and engine bay, removed screen prior to MAP sensor, Blacked out lower valance, badges, center caps and door handles, Added door sill plates, JVC-KDHDR50 Head unit (HD Baby), Tinted exterior lights, Borla Exhaust.
    It's called TRANSMAX

3. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I used the almighty google to find this out. The only two that I find that say it on the package and on the website is Amsoil and Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc. The valvoline is the one I used because I could go to my local parts store and buy a gallon container for $17.99. Where as other brands want more than $12 a quart. So far the valvoline has worked well.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-Valvoline-MaxLife_8150020-P_N3291A_T|GRP2071_____

4. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:19 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got the toyota ATF for like 7;50 a quart

5. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

My local dealer wants $12.50 a quart for the WS fluid.

6. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    adanfon

adanfon YNWA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adán
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    i don't think there is, regardless of what they say. our transmissions are very sensitive to fluid characteristics. i wouldn't risk it.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    gnarcal

gnarcal Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's SPC Performance upper control arms Diff drop 1.5° shims Carrier bearing drop 1" AL blocks in rear
    You're right, exact compatibility is f.ing critical. That's exactly what I'm worried about. But the Valvoline Max Life is spec'd for "Toyota/Lexus ... WS (except hybrids)".
    So wtf? Do we trust it?
    I want to add a dab because one time I accidentally let some out the first time I changed my oil. Oops. I'm scared to add it now that I have a bottle. A couple bucks a quart is worth the peace of mind.
    What do you think?

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

I've had Valvoline dex/merc in my trans for 40k miles, and no problems.

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    adanfon

adanfon YNWA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adán
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    thats wierd that it says except hybrids, they use WS fluid also. i'd pay a couple bucks for peace of mind

10. Jan 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4

I just swapped out my old fluid at 68K and I put in max-life. WS compatible so no issues here either.

Products Discussed in

To Top