1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

reduce muffler noise?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hamsterhater, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dec 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    hamsterhater

hamsterhater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island
    Vehicle:
    11' dc mag grey taco
    level kit- exhaust -cai n-fab light bar-4 piaa 6"new hood w/scoop
    i put new exhaust cat back with magnaflow bullet . love the way it sounds just not inside truck.its just a little to much. any suggestions because its resisgnating right from muffler under cab. is there a wrap i can wrap the muffler with to to tame it a little. anything less would be fine. maybe header tape on muffler? or sound deadning glued over muffler on floor of truck.truck is louder inside than outside even on drive by hammered on.thanks:eek:

2. Dec 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Add a resonator.

3. Dec 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    matts11

matts11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Put the original one back on or live with it or try the dynomax vt. You wont have much success quieting it down with a wrap or insulation.

4. Dec 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    If you can weld or have a creative and open minded muffler shop you can make a branch resonator. Basically a second pipe t'd off the original one right behind the muffler. The longer you make it the quieter the exhaust will be, but it doesn't change the tone of the exhaust. I did this a few years back to quiet down the Mustang I had but I wound up removing them after a while. You can run the pipe in any direction you want and there should be plenty of room under there so you could probably loop it back over the muffler. Below are how I did it on the Mustang. There isn't much room so they had to run across the car behind the axle. I made caps on the ends so I could cut them down and re-cap them to tune the sound. This car had headers and dual 2-1/2" exhaust with dynomax super turbos. After I removed the resonators I installed 18" case length magnaflows. That was about perfect.

DSCN1298_ba91b756d2fc63b4e0b95ae095d1493b288d1023.jpg

DSCN1297_f4b3a01986f590837ce9cc4a86e8fff62f3563c0.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top