1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Block heaters, battery blankets etc. North Dakota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bethes, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    It's been a while but IIRC no need to pull skid. It comes off easy if you do though.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...ck-heater-install-write-up-lots-pictures.html

After you get everything you want, plug it in to something like you posted above. I'd get a lighted one maybe, look online for one rated for cold as well (like this one). Zip tie everything where you want it.

The reason you should get a cord for cold weather is normal ones will become stiff and the insulation will crack, which is bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19t4SlbEPM&feature=player_embedded

Also, you may want to throw a pack in your truck with some things like....

a blanket
    extra boots and gloves
    an extra set of warm clothes
    extra water and food, including hard candies
    an ice scraper
    a small shovel
    a flashlight
    flares
    jumper cables
    a tool kit
    a tire gauge
    a spare tire with air in it
    tire-changing equipment
    a first-aid kit
    a bag of abrasive material such as sand or salt which can provide additional traction if a tire gets stuck in snow and add weight to the rear
    Also, keep the gas tank as full as you can to prevent the gas lines from freezing.

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    bethes

bethes [OP] Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the emergency kit tips. Kinda funny, that list is the first thing my boss handed me when I walked into our ND field office the first time. Co-workers thought 2-5 gal. of gasoline would be a good idea, too. It's a long way between gas stations out here! I don't think I've ever driven a car without a spare tire, and I always carry things like jumper cables and a tire gauge.

I have an appointment at a dealership next week to go get a block heater installed. I figured I'd let them take care of it and hopefully get a couple warranty repairs taken care of while I'm there (getting close to that magical 36K marker).

Not sure how I'll handle the battery warmer/multiple plugs issue yet. Maybe I'll just see how the block heater does on its own.

Which brings up another question: I got the tow package so I guess it has a heavier-duty battery than you would normally have in this truck. Does that help or hinder performance in cold weather? Or have no effect at all? If it's starting in cold weather, with a block heater, would the better battery make it easier to start?

Alright. I'll stop for now. Thanks everyone for your patience!

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
  4. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    The OEM block heater for the V6 is a fairly straight forward install. I did not remove the skid plate. Heater itself was $36 at toyota dealer in Boise, install took about 30mins. Just make sure to clean the mud and dirt out of the hole before trying to put it in, it is an exact fit. Once you do that, use the lube provided with it to make it go in easier. Also, make sure that the clip snaps into place on the block, otherwise it might fall out. I use mine when its below zero, turn it on about 2-3 hours before leaving. Makes start ups much better IMO.

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Spike8844

Spike8844 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spike
    Minot, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4X4 TRD
    Topper, Bedliner, Bedlining the Rocker panels next.
    [​IMG]
    This is the type of block I was talking about. I am getting the part number from my friends up in Alaska. it is not a household outlet, although it looks like it. It can be screwed anywhere under the hood, while the Arctic grade cord runs out the grille. The end of the plug it lighted so when you plug in you know if it is working or not. I would put a trickle charger on your truck if your not going to start it everyday. I keep one on my four wheeler and plug it in when the temps drop out and she starts and purrs like a kitten.

6. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Spike8844

Spike8844 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spike
    Minot, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4X4 TRD
    Oh and if you do put fuel in your truck make sure you put either HEET or STA-BIL in it to keep it from freezing. Ice can form in the fuel can and then your pouring water right into your motor which is no bueno.

7. Dec 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yep! I grew up in WY and sometimes in the winter you can find yourself stuck either in snow or because they've shut down a highway. I'm sure ND is the same way. It's always a good idea to keep this gear on hand and some extra gas probably would be a good plan.

With the larger battery I believe it gives you more CCA or cold cranking amps. As well as a larger alternator to give you more juice to that battery when it's running. The more CCA the better.

8. Dec 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    http://www.arcticleash.com/

9. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Thanks. I found this one that I think will work, but I wish it wasn't 15' long. That's a lot of cord to wrap up under the hood of my truck then zip tie in place. But... I guess I'll take what I can get. There are 4' cords made by Arctic Leash but they don't have a light, and I'd like to be as confident as possible that everything has power. I think before I buy I'll head into town and see what's available, maybe I can find something more to my liking.

So plug my battery warmer and block heater into this, which is stored under the hood:
    [​IMG]

And then something like this to get power to the truck:
    [​IMG]

In my future I can see either a cord reel or some sort of contraption I invent to store a cord like this in the back of my truck. Perhaps I can mount a permanent cord hook on the bed rails... Hmm...

Tacoma World has already inspired me to try a couple of mods. I hope this doesn't end badly! Hahaha

10. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Spike8844

Spike8844 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spike
    Minot, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4X4 TRD
    arcticleash.com does have reels that retract but they are expensive they are also the ones who sell the box I put up earlier. They work great, 3 years in alaska and I have yet to hear of one failing. The leashes are pretty nice if you don't want to carry a cord and dig it out every time, but like I said they are pretty spendy.

11. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    joesmith

joesmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 4x4
    The Arctic Leashes are way expensive! I have used the 4 block plugin in the past, right now I have an arctic-rated 4 foot lighted extension cord with a 3 way plug on the end. I picked it up at one of the local hardware stores around town.

I bought an block heater at the parts store that worked just fine for my V6 Tacoma, it was $30 vs the $80 that the dealership wanted!

Add some chemical light sticks and hand warmers to that list of gear you carry around ;)

12. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    That is exactly the sort of cord I want, and can't seem to find online. So I'll be making a trip to the hardware store.

GlacierFlex seems to be cheaper than Arctic Leash and there are a couple other brands. Some of them are all-weather rather than cold weather, but the temperature range is the same so I doubt it matters.

I think I will get to go visit my grandma in a slightly warmer location for Christmas, so I will probably just turn her driveway into my shop unless the weather gets consistently below zero before then. :)

13. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    joesmith

joesmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 4x4
  14. Dec 13, 2011 at 4:24 AM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma auto, long box in red
    lighted 4x4 switch, python alarm/starter, weather tech matts, bug and rock deflector, , kuda cell phone mount in matched grey. DMV2 Tires, Bilstein 5100 lift, Icon RXT leafs. Sprayed the frame with Rust Check All the time.
    It's always funny in winter to watch people driving around with a 20ft extension cord still attached to their car because they forgot to unplug it. Sometimes I try to tell them by flashing lights ect. It usually just brakes off after a while when they turn.

15. Dec 13, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    My dad has a diesel pickup, he solves that problem by draping the cord across the driver's side mirror and across the door. He has to deal with the cord before getting in.

16. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Workman is also glad that you live in AZ.:rolleyes:

17. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Just thought I'd post this. Got tired of never having a place for the extension cord for my block heater. I tried one of those cord caddy things, the little $2 plastic things you wrap the cord around, but I kept losing the damned thing in the bed of my truck. So here's my solution:

Two 1/2" square nuts ($1.15 each at Lowe's)
    Two 5" Carriage bolts ($0.60 each)
    [​IMG]

Then just insert the nut into the rail and put the bolt in. I didn't use any tools, just tightened them in with my fingers and it seems to hold just fine.

[​IMG]

And then, here it is with a 50 ft cord:
    [​IMG]

Just a note, this works well to hang an extension cord, but the 1/2" nuts aren't quite the right size for the bed rails, they're a bit small (but they're the largest ones I could find). I wouldn't hang anything that requires great stability. Also, didn't try it but I thought I might be able to use the carriage bolts as a place to hang the cord caddy, but... didn't want to dig around for the cord caddy, it's 12 degrees outside.

18. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Toyoda Tacoma

Toyoda Tacoma Do or Do not there is no try.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Double cab, Long box
    Roof Rack, Step Bars, 3” Rough Country lift 265/70/17 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Just need a block heater! End of story!

Products Discussed in

To Top