1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need PC help!! Virus

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TACOMA TRD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Looking for some help on remving a Virus on my PC. My son needed to load Itunes 10.5 on our PC the other day, my symantec virus protection was preventing it from installing. I shut down my Virus protection so we can load the itunes.

Flash forward 2 days I was downloading some music and picked up a Virus !!! I never turned the virus protection back on. :mad: The Virus I got is called XP ANTIVIRUS 2012. It keeps telling me that I have to pay 69.95 for my computer to be virus free. I know this is the actual Virus and the whole thing is a scam

I dont know how to remove, it wont let me on internet, it wont let me restore to a earlier date..... everything i click on it just pops up purchase ANTIVIRUS for 69.95.

Anyone know how to remove?

I have a Dell XPS desktop running windows XP....

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    From what I understand, you need to first find a "bogus" reg code to enter to trick the program into thinking you paid for it

From there I'd assume you can get it

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    get a Mac. lol sorry i have no idea what to do. i’ll leave now.

good luck tho!

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    factory reset...

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    According to one site I found, "XP Antivirus 2012 is a deceptive and quite sophisticated rogue anti-spyware program which applies the basic tricks of scams from this category. Though it declares to be a powerful virus remover, keep in mind that this program is the only one that needs to be eliminated because it reports invented viruses. To be more precise, XP Antivirus 2012 firstly will create numerous harmless files that it will drop in the infected computer’s system. Then this scam will pretend to scan your computer and immediately will report numerous viruses that in reality are nothing else but these earlier created files. Some of its alerts may state about Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger.gen threat for making you scared to death and push into purchasing its license which will be offered additionally. Pay attention to the fact, that XP Antivirus 2012 is dangerous and has nothing to do with computer’s protection!

XP Antivirus 2012 program has been manipulating people into believing it is useful software. However, this rogue anti-spyware mostly penetrates into a random computer system without the user’s knowledge and approval and opens the backdoor of the system to let more threats or allow the scammers to reach your personal information. All this is done with a help of Trojans that infect vulnerable systems through fake video codecs and flash updates. As you can see, you should not believe XP Antivirus 2012 and its spyware detection reports as they are fabricated and have in fact nothing to do with the true condition of machine. Don’t buy this software though it will definitely promise to fix your computer, but remove XP Antivirus 2012. Also, you can use this code 3425-814615-3990 to register the rogue program. Once activated, it won't block web browsers and anti-spyware software."

Several sites describe manual removal processes, but they're lengthy, somewhat complicated, and involve editing the Registry. Most say PC Tools Spyware Doctor can remove XP Antivirus. Once you use the code above, you should be able to download and install Spyware Doctor. Good luck!

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    400lbGorilla

400lbGorilla ^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    T-LAM
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4X4 BASE
    Roof Rack, TRD exhaust, Hood Shield, Side Steps, 5% Tints, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Billies at 2.5, Toytec TSB AAL, Avid Offroad Bar, Cruise Control, Removed Sway, Hella 700s, 6000k HIDs, diff breather mod. DTRL, BHLM,Sockmonkyed.
    XP Antivirus 2012 can be removed manually by following the steps below.
    1. With all programs closed, click the Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
    2. Locate the Add/Remove Programs icon and double click it.
    3. Locate XP Antivirus 2012 in the list of programs. If you find it, select it and remove it. If you cannot find XP Antivirus 2012, you can continue to step 5.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Close all open programs and windows on your desktop.
    6. Open your registry editor (regedit) program by going to Start Menu, type in regedit, and click OK.
    7. Find all of the following registry entries and delete them. If you do not know how to do this, then you can read how to edit the registry in Windows.
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\DefaultIcon "(Default)" = '%1'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\runas\command "(Default)" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\runas\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile "Content Type" = 'application/x-msdownload'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = 'exefile'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "Content Type" = 'application/x-msdownload'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\DefaultIcon "(Default)" = '%1' = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\runas\command "(Default)" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\runas\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile "(Default)" = 'Application'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile "Content Type" = 'application/x-msdownload'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\DefaultIcon "(Default)" = '%1'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command "IsolatedCommand" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\runas\command "(Default)" = '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\runas\command "IsolatedCommand" - '"%1" %*'
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"'
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command "(Default)" = '"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode'
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command
    8. You may need to return to this removal process for removing XP Antivirus 2012. You can do this easily by bookmarking or adding a favorite to this page by clicking here. If you are using the FireFox web browser you can press the keys Ctrl and D simultaneously to bookmark this page.
      Image 1. Bookmark PCHubs removal process
      [​IMG]
    9. Delete all of the following files that are associated with XP Antivirus 2012 from your computer.
      %AllUsersProfile%\random.exe
      %AppData%\Local\.exe
      %AppData%\Local\random.exe
      %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\random.exe
      %Temp%\random.exe
      %UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication DataopRSK

If you need a better understanding on how to search for these files then you can read how to find and search for files and folders here.
      If you have issues deleting any of the previously listed files that are associated with XP Antivirus 2012, you can try rebooting your computer into safe mode. Booting into safe mode may allow certain malicious files to be deleted. If you are wondering how to boot into safe mode, you can read our process for starting a computer in safe mode here.
      Image 2. Select "Safe Mode with Networking"
      [​IMG]
    10. After locating and deleting the previous files you must remove all directories associated with XP Antivirus 2012 by going to the C:\ProgramFiles\XP Antivirus 2012 folder, select it, and delete it. In some cases you may not be able to find this directory. You can still continue to the next step.
    11. Restart your computer. You do not need to boot into safe mode at this point. You should have removed XP Antivirus 2012 completely from your computer. If you find that XP Antivirus 2012 is still on your computer, you can repeat the steps again or go to the automatic XP Antivirus 2012 removal process.

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    ^ What he said. Had this happen to my sis a few years ago and this did the trick. Viruses these days eat down into your registry files, PITA to get out. I know it looks complicated, but it works. Don't take your computer to Geek Squad or anything, they won't know how to remove it.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Get malwarebytes and load up in safe mode with networking/

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    TACOMA TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    I tried looking in the programs....it wasnt listed.

10. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    TACOMA TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    nevermind....continue to step 5....DUH... Thanks...I will try it when i get off work at 9am.

11. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    400lbGorilla

400lbGorilla ^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    T-LAM
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4X4 BASE
    Roof Rack, TRD exhaust, Hood Shield, Side Steps, 5% Tints, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Billies at 2.5, Toytec TSB AAL, Avid Offroad Bar, Cruise Control, Removed Sway, Hella 700s, 6000k HIDs, diff breather mod. DTRL, BHLM,Sockmonkyed.
    Word, if that doesn't work I would try "Norton's" answer. I've used Spyware Doctor in the past; it works well.

12. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    TACOMA TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Thanks...maybe i will try Nortons and the easier methods first. I was afraid to register with a fake code to cause more damage, but it cant get worse than what it is now. It wont do shit.

I also read that this virus will self destruct in 6 days. not sure if it will or not. I might be able to score a good copy of malyrebytes off the webs from my sons PC. the load it via jump drive.

13. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    TACOMA TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    It was a music download from demonoid...

14. Dec 15, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2. Malwarebytes, http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button, will take care of the fake antivirus programs. You can't install the program in safe mode though. You will need to install it in normal mode. After the install, when you open the program, a box will pop up asking if you want to go to the pro version, just decline. You can do the scan in normal mode as well, you don't have to go into safe mode.

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    TACOMA TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Malwarebytes...I downloaded on my sons computer and then put on Jump drive. It wouldnt let me open it. Im going to try registering with Nortons code.

16. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    This.

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Boot in safe mode before running Malwarebytes. Sometimes you need to rename it or it won't run.

18. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    X3 - Malwarebytes in Safe mode with networking.

Restart your system, keep pressing F8 before you see the windows logo come up. From the menu select "Safe Mode with netoworking", login with administrator account and install Malwarebytes. Update the software and do a scan.

19. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can try renaming the setup file. Safe mode won't let you install programs. Windows Installer service isn't started and it won't let you start it. You can also google 'rkill'. It is a script developed that stops the virus so you have time to install and run MB. it comes in an exe and several other forms in case it doesn't let you run the exec version.

Products Discussed in

To Top