1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many replacement windshields?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TastyHuman, Dec 24, 2011.

?

How often have you had to replace your windshield?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2012.
  1. Once per year

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Every 1-2 years

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Every 2-3 years

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. 4+ years

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Never

50 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Dec 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Wow so far about 50% have had to replace at least once, with close to 20% yearly! I wonder if this consistant with other vehicles out there? I think I have only replaced one windshield in my driving career of 33 yrs...:confused:

2. Dec 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I've had my Taco 6 years this month. I've replaced the windshield only once.
    [​IMG]

Went from this...
    [​IMG]

To that.
    [​IMG]

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Ive addressed every thread regarding this issue in the past 2 years or so. Some of my background: 3rg generation glazier/glass guy. I currently estimate/PM architectural glass and metal sales for a large union company on the east coast. This year will be my 20th year since being a gopher for pops on the weekends/after school.

#1) Toyota has NOT gone to thinner glass. Safety standards have gotten more stringent not less. The PVB inter-layers have gotten stronger, thinner, and more impact resistant. Some glass guys will tell you the glass is thinner - they are 100% wrong - the plastic inter-layer has gotten thinner. If your glass guy tells you this "urban myth" it's time to get someone who actually knows their shit.

#2) To avoid chips don't tailgate - this is the #1 cause of window chips.

#3) Bug guards deflect the rocks that would of hit your hood into your windshield.

4) Aerodynamics on newer vehicles are much better then the older vehicles. This is the main reason 2005+ Tacoma's experience so many issues with chips. For a quick example open your window on your truck while doing highway speed - the influx of air is much greater then that of an older vehicle. That extra wind carries debris over your bumper/hood and into your windshield.

I ran one for 2 years and after my windshield looked like it was hit with bird-shot I removed it and have way less impacts the past 1-1/2 years.

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    How does a repaired windshield chip affect resale? You can see the chip, but it's not supposed to spread (according to Safelite).

5. Dec 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If any, I guess the cost to replace it?:cool:

6. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Never had a problem on my 06 or my '11. Not even the roll effected the windows. Around here there are a lot of lime rock trucks too. My parents have an 07 Jeep Liberty, within a month is developed 2 chips in the window and a small crack.

7. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    IcarusFallen

IcarusFallen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off Road DCSB 4X4 MT
    Thanks XXXX. I'll probably stay away from the bug deflector then. Thanks for all the knowledge too.

8. Dec 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    terrman

terrman Active Member

Member:
    Osoyoos B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SR5
    HID Headlights Sylvania Silver Stars Nerf Bars XM Radio
    Having replaced a windshield this year, let me offer you some sound advice. Do not get after market glass. Make sure your glass shop orders it from Toyota. I had a glass shop put in some cheap glass from China, and the sides were like looking through fun glass at the carnival. Not to mention the fit was not right!!

9. Dec 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I've replaced one, cracked from a rock off a dump truck.

10. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman [OP] Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    Points are well taken but I'll pick a couple of nits.

On #1, it seems if the inner layer of the sandwich is thinner the windshield is thinner. No? Most people who say the glass is thinner are referring to the windshield thickness.

On #2, tailgating, this is a tough one. Not that I'm advocating tailgating but if you are RIGHT ON somebodies bumper you probably won't get chips, the geometry doesn't work. And if you are 1000 feet behind them you probably won't get chips either. The chip safe distance is likely dependent on speed but sometimes the driver doesn't have a lot of say in the matter. If you are in a fast moving stream of cars and you try to leave a large distance someone is always cutting into the gap.

It's not like we can put on our gray hair (no offense, I have NO hair) and just drive way the heck slower than everyone else to maintain a gap. We aren't driving old Buicks here, not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

11. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I only replaced my windshield once in 7 years but here they get waxed fast out here in CO.

12. Dec 28, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

The urban legend people come up with is that the "glass" is thinner and that is not the fact. You can knit pick all you want - I could care less. I'm just putting an urban myth to bed. Fact is the "glass" is the same thickness the windshield is NOT. Glass and PVB interlayers are different so when you say glass you are wrong....it's actually called a lite that consists of different pcs of glass.

I'm not here to argue with asshats, if you wanna tailgate like a jackass have fun. I love brake checking douchecanoes that ride my ass. I slam on the brakes as soon as I see them texting.

13. Dec 28, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    makeshiftTaco

makeshiftTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Undercover Tonneau, Black Emblems, Weathertech Digifits, TRD Shift Knob, TRD Exhaust, Avid Light Bar, TRD Skid, Thin-lip Satoshi, Devil Horns, AFE Stage 2 SI, URD SS
    never...knock on wood

14. Dec 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    Sampson90

Sampson90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC LB
    My 05 is on the 3rd windshield, factory + 2 replacements. Had a lacrosse ball create a perfect bullseye and then 3 months later a good sized rock broke the new one. Been good for 3 years with the replacement.

Be sure to seal the cowl with silicone when a replacement is installed. If you don't, you'll get water in the vents and it will smell musty.

15. Dec 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman [OP] Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    I see that you have no sense of humor or humility. Pity.

16. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Threads like this are abundant in TW. Search next time n00b. Answering the same shit gets old

and yes I have no humor or humility

17. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    or taste in hockey teams , or friends

18. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    wayne73

wayne73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Rock chip spread out on my windshield last night. I have glass coverage with no deductible with AllState. I had them pursue replacing with an oem replacement but they denied since the aftermarket is $98 and the OEM is $1097. Aftermarket it is!

First replacement on my 09'

Products Discussed in

To Top