1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Plug Relocation

Discussion in 'Towing' started by B_brand, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dec 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    B_brand

B_brand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    I broke off my factory trailer light plug and had to buy a new one. The dealership said that they would have to order the whole wiring harness and it would be over $200. So I told them I would fix it myself. I searched on here and found several write-ups on how to fix and relocate the plug. I ended up locating the new plug in the bumper next to the license tag. I have included a few pictures to help anyone else out.

The functions for the wires in the factory harness are:
    White - Ground
    Red - Left Turn (will also come on with brakes)
    Brown - Right Turn (will also come on with brakes)
    Black - 12v (this is the constant hot wire it will only be on when the ignition is on)
    Blue - Electric Brake
    Yellow - Reverse Lights
    Green - Tail Lights

IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg

SR-71A, ChadsPride, Jazz1one and 2 others like this.
  2. Dec 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Thanks for the write-up...great idea!! Is that the oem plug or aftermarket, and how did you get the hole through the bumper?

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Dec 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Nice work! Rep for you. :thumbsup:

4. Dec 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    B_brand

B_brand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, I forgot those details. I had to buy an aftermarket plug at OReillys since my old one was broken. I used a 1/8" drill bit to mark the center of the hole, then used a 2" hole saw with a 1/4" arbor bit in it.

ChadsPride likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    YotaComa22

YotaComa22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Auburn, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SPORT
    3" ToyTec Lift kit with ultra Goliath wheels and general grabber tires for now.
    good thinking on that one.....nice relocation....I like it....

6. Sep 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    Thanks for posting the colors of the factory harness, it saved me some headaches.

7. Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    reellittlephish

reellittlephish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma
    none yet
    Nice job. I used an E-Trailer custom 5 pin harness to outfit my 2007 Tacoma Access Cab. Cost $63.55. Took about 3 hours to install and I was extra careful. Never had popped the rear lenses off this truck.

8. May 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    tyndall5818

tyndall5818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wheeling near Joshua Tree, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Doube Cab
    Check out my build thread.
    @adamv22 going to mount my new one like this! Not spending $50 on a relocation bracket!

9. Jun 25, 2015 at 10:58 PM
    OCD

OCD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '15 4WD TRD DCLB SSM
    I didn't want to drill a hole in my bumper for cosmetic reasons, although relocation of the trailer plug between the license plate light and license plate seems like the the most utilitarian choice. I didn't want to use an existing license plate light hole, and lose one of the lights, because I've read online that regardless of the quality of illumination remaining with one light, elimination of one is illegal. Although that doesn't sound reasonable to me, I just didn't want the potential hassle with cops. My decision was to relocate the plug behind the bumper, in a spot where it's completely hidden from view, but accessible when I need to use it. The photos here show what I did.

I removed the plug and plug bracket from the OEM mount on the tow bar. I removed the 90 degree bracket from the bottom of the frame where the driver's side rear bumper support bolts to the frame. I flattened out the folded edges on the plug bracket so the plug bracket would sit flat on the 90 degree bracket, then welded the two together (if you can call the shitty result "welding" - I'm obviously a dauber, but it's super strong). I reamed the lapping holes on the welded together pieces so the 17mm bolts would pass through both when the fabricated assembly was bolted back to the frame/bumper support. I etch primed the assembly, painted it black, and bolted it back where the 90 had been removed from. I reinstalled the plug on the relocated plug bracket. The OEM wiring harness has enough slack to reach the new position, the plug is well away from the largest diameter spare that could be carried beneath the bed, and the hinged cap opens completely without interference from the 17mm bolts behind it. Also the male connector on the trailer cable will be above the bottom of the spare, so nothing hangs low to catch on rocks, brush, ruts.

I'll probably make up about an 18" long pigtail with a female connecter on one end, and a male connecter on the other, to use if I rent or borrow a trailer with a lead too short to reach the relocated plug. Any trailer I eventually own, I'll make the lights/brake cable long enough to reach the relocated plug without the pigtail. When I'm not towing (which will be 99.9% of the time), I'll stow the pigtail under the backseat of my dbl cab, and the relocated plug will be well protected in it's new position.

I was kind of thinking what's left of the original mount (1st photo) would make a handy spot for an auxiliary LED backup light, but decided against that since I'd be hanging the light in the same potential trouble spot the trailer plug was in. I'd end up breaking or ripping the light off in that position. I'll probably cut off what's left of the original mount as close to the tow bar as possible to visually clean up that area. Anyone have a suggestion for some other protected, tucked in spot for a small, but bright LED backup light(s)?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Jun 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I needed to get mine out of the way quickly and I planned on going back and doing it "right". But, I just removed mine and then zip tied it to one of the wiring harness' pictured in your pic. I don't think I'm gonna change anything. It works great and only cost me a zip tie. :D

06Tacooo and Asauger like this.
  11. Dec 15, 2016 at 4:20 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    I replaced my rust rotted '06 bumper/hitch with a newer one off a '15 last spring. I replaced the original trailer plug/bracket in the same place, and added two tire valves to it. Perfect for my Ride-Rites.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. Jan 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    Bruce988jl

Bruce988jl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Off-Road & 05 Mitsubishi Evo
    Looks good - I did something similar with mine but needed a 4pin for my smaller trailer so I got rid of the oem plus (I smashed it on a rock off roading anyways) and made this.This is a just a quick solution, the plan is to finalize my swing down setup for the spring time. (Dont mind the very rough cad design...)

2016-11-26 12.22.23.jpg
    2016-11-26 12.22.28.jpg
    Capture.jpg

20161126_122235.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top