1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes - i have larger rims & tires. now i new rotors pads. what to do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by packfan88, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    I changed my pads at 55k and i think i caused the cailper to seize. The outside pads never functioned and that lead to premature wear of the inside pad on the driver side. Its down to the metal now and my rotors are toast.

Lesson learned. Make sure your caliper slides properly.

So.... any options on getting longer life out of the pads and rotors? I do tow often and comparing my pad life to yours isnt practical. You could live in Kanasas where there isnt a hill to be seen and drive 55 mph and slow roll to a red light while I drive in the high hills of Upstate NY and the mean streets of NYC where its speed to the next kight before some cabbie side swipes you.

Ive seen the comments that the factory set up is pretty good. Its a 2008 4x4 double cab. I think I read they are a 4 piston caliper. That is only trumps by a 6 caliper but the cost doesnt seem to benefit the advantage.

Now the rotors and the pads, thats different. Ive read about combos from EBC and other companies. Any info on that?

I also read that a meaty rotor is better than the vented/slotted cause the potential for warping is a real issue for someone who dunks the truck in water. So if I spend the day driving up and down the hills and the brakes get heated then drive through a little stream or small creek the hot to cold action could warp those pretty racing rotors. Any info?

Im thinkings about going with the EBC rotors

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-UPR7237/ $58 each free shipping

and the Green Pads
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-DP71657/ $109

Now the $109 brakes pads seems crazy to me. Bu tthe rotors seem like a great price. Especially since they offer free shipping (plus I have a $25 off my next order coupon).

Anyone have any advice on this matter?

2. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I had ebc rotors and green pads on my 96..They warped after about a year also. No heavy towing or anything out of the ordinary. Can't help ya otherwise.

3. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I am at 50k on my 2010 and the pads on mine are looking like at 55k I need to change them. I was planning on keeping my current set of rotors on, but just having them resurfaced. As for the pads, I am not sure what brand I want to go with. I have had cerramic pads before and they grab well. As for where and what name brand, I like the duralast gold cmax, akebono, and hawk. They all are in the same price range. I wouldn't think that you would need new rotors unless yours are out of spec, and the stock rotors on mine haven't shown any sign of warpage or grooving or any other sign that would warrant replacing them. I think in the end I will go with akebono because I can get them at my local advance auto, but I am curious on opinions on these and other brands.

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    :threadjacked:

5. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Not exactly, just happen to be doing the same thing, and making another thread on the same subject is stupid. Maybe he can save a couple of dollars and avoid a headache by just resurfacing his rotors instead of getting new aftermarket.

6. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads

lol thats not a jack. maybe not an answer, but its on the lines of the topic :)

I know for a fact my rotors are trash. When I did look at the drivers side I saw the pad had worn down so fast and so bad that the bracket was starting to eat the rotor. If you look at the rotor from the top > down its actually two surfaces. The inner pad ate away at the inside surface that you can SEE its now thinner than the outside of the rotor .... what a disaster.

So i need rotors.

As i was calling around and looking online for prices and stuff its seems that even a site like
    http://www.toyotapartsexpress.com/parts.html?gclid=CJ2UnZyHq60CFcZM4AodzB1iQA

which looks like a Toyota site is nothing more than a front for a multitude of web sites all leading back to the same comapny hocking parts.

look at
    http://www.toyotapartscheap.com/
    Does it look familiar? Same as the one i just listed.

I called them and they sell more than just Toyota parts. I called them and asked about their prices. Then they said "Buy the way, rotors are heavy and would cost around $30 each to ship". Not something I want to deal with.

If I did go with the OEM parts, is there any place online to buy the parts? I called the local STEALership and they requre a vin just to get me a price on pads. Im like "dude, I dont feel like gettign dressed and going outside to get my registration or spending ten minutes digging for the title. Cant you just give me a price?" He like "Unfortunatley I cant." So I hung up. What a hassle they are.

@wildjerseyfirefighter - did you have the EBC slotted or vented rotors or the solid state ones like I linked?

7. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Never had dealership hassle me for a vin if I didn't feel like givin it out. I usually get a baseline for pricing stuff off of www.rockauto.com . There are some dealerships that do online and over the phone purchases. I got an intermittent wiper switch for the truck for christmas and my fiance got on www.1sttoyotaparts.com to get it. Their # is 877-810-7067. It came from a dealership in, wait for it, Tacoma,WA. www.tituswill.com 253-475-4151 . Keep me updated on what you do as far as pads.

8. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    I saw AdvancedAuto.com is offering 20% off and then giving you $50 off your next order of $100.

So if you buy their best rotor (one) for $117.xx you get 20% off and it comes to $93.xx with free shipping. Then you can order the second one and get it for $67. So together it becomes $160 or $80 each with free sipping. While I dont know anything about the brand Beck/Arnley, getting two rotors that would cost $234 for $160 is a nice discount. It does say on their site its a direct OEM replacement.

But as Im looking around, I think Im goign to go with the EBC rotors and pads I listed in my earlier post. Any one have any more info?

What about wheel bearings? Is it something I should focus on while I have the rotors off? Repack or replace? or no need. I think the truck is somewhere near 70k now.

9. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Repacking these wheel bearings seems like a lil much to do. As long as they're good, leave em' be. If you go through all the trouble to remove em', just replace em' with Moog brand wheel bearings. They te best.

10. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    im such a buyers remorse kinda guy. I spend hours researching and no matter what i buy i think i am gettign ripped off or coulda got a better deal or a better product. i need therapy lol

So im just about sold on the EBC Green stuff pads. The 7000 series cause the longer life. Then I go to the manufacturers own web site and this is what I read. Check out the bold part.

"
    Greenstuff 6000 series is regarded as a first level brake improvement over stock and can deliver up to 15% improvement in stopping power. However Greenstuff 6000 is NOT a hard and long lasting pad and drivers may find Greenstuff last LESS MILES on light Trucks and SUV than stock units which in our opinion are designed primarily to pass the warranty period but 6000 are a good quality pad replacement with medium dusting and good brake effect.
    Greenstuff 7000 series are a slightly harder pad than its 6000 series stable mate and designed to reduce dust and last slightly longer than the 6000 series. Again a great pad and a quality pad replacement for Truck and SUV (4 x 4)"

So it sounds like an awful lot of money as opposed to OEM replacements for "slightly longer life". If EBC claims the oem pads are only designed to last as long as the warranty on the truck, the factory warranty was 36,000 miles (unless yo buy an extended). So if they are saying the Green Stuff pads may last LESS than the factory pads wtf can I expect? 30k miles? 25k miles?

bah! I think Im just going to go with the OEM replacements.

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA

Well I have a shop press so it wouldnt be much to remove them. And repacking them takes 5 minutes. I was more concerned about the fact that I did end up putting the larger tires 285/70/17 and the aftermarket rims. I am just trying to remember if people had said that wear bearing wear is a factor when putting that extra weight on the axels.

And I agree about Moog. Good stuff. I did an entire front end on a Camaro with all moog. I think it was like $1,000 in parts where it woulda been like $300 if I did it with some off brands.

12. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I did that to a 79' Berlinetta

13. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    lol check this out. part # 0832962

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Premium-Brake-Disc-Beck-Arnley_25011000-P_221_R%7CGRPDRUMAMS_____

$117 per rotor

look at this.
    Ive used rockauto in the past. I had to have them save me from autopartsexpress.com when they screwed me and instead of saying they didnt have stuff in stock, they charged me for them, shipped nothing and refunded the money sometime later. So yeah, i like rock auto but i didnt expect a chain like AdvancedAuto to be ripping off people when the prices are SOOOOO far apart.

they want to charge you $117 for a rotor and Rokauto wants to charge $49 and with shipping its $72.

[​IMG]
    rockauto by PackFan88, on Flickr

14. Dec 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Back researching for another day. Anyone have any more input before I pull the trigger on something?

15. Dec 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

I've done my searching, I will go with Hawk ceremic pads from autoanything.com part# HB490Z.665 $72.95 and gonna get Goodridge 2" extended stainless brake lines part# 2-21155 $115.95 from frsport.com all of course is free shipping. Just gonna resurface my stock rotors hopefully for free. Then bleed the brakes with synthetic brake fluid from valvoline.

Products Discussed in

To Top