1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best wax for black Tacoma's

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by XD40SC, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    XD40SC

XD40SC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davis
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10' PreRunner SR5 Black Sand Pearl
    Well...black sand pearl.

What is it? Pic with suggestions would really work.

2. Jan 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    disc0monkey

disc0monkey All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!

Member:
    meguars ultimate with the soap they sell. doesnt really last long. but anything that really last longs turns white and doesnt look nice on black

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I bought the "black box" (cant remember who makes it, but thats what its marketed as) a while ago and it is special wax for black vehicles. It doesnt leave white residue as the wax itself is black.

I don't have pics, but if you can imagine it, it makes your truck really shiny, and black...

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Checkout Autogeek.net, lots of great products and good prices once you find out what you want. I went with a sealant because they last a lot longer than waxes (I also have a Superwhite so it's kind of irrelevant).

5. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    XD40SC

XD40SC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davis
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10' PreRunner SR5 Black Sand Pearl
  6. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    This is what i use, and i absolutely love it!

[​IMG]

7. Jan 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    I have an Acura TSX for my DD in Cyrstal Black Pearl. I swear it must have the softest automotive paint ever. One of the neighborhood cats was climbing on it, and I guess slid off the side and left a 8 inch long clear coat scratch. I used the poorboys as a recommendation by a friend who is as anal as anybody I've seen in regards to detailing his vehicles. I had outstanding results with this product. I will never go back to over-the-counter stuff.

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    MonkeyChief

MonkeyChief Detachable member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACORLR
    WTB Topper Lunar Rock 6’ Leer
    that's great to hear. I just dropped about $300 on stuff from autogeek to do my silver and my neighbors black 06. He bought this glaze and I got the silver equivalent from poorboys along with some other things. He also got the dodo juice black paste wax that is supposed to make it look all inky and wet. I get the stuff on Monday and will probably do his truck starting Friday night. Mine will probably get done Monday afternoon! :D

I'll have to post up some pics of his truck when we're done, it will be the first time using the porter cable, we'll see how it goes.

BTW, for anyone who is thinking about it, this is a glaze, not a wax. Glazes provide amazing results, but are designed for bringing out the shine and hiding minor imperfections, not for protection like you would get with wax. Always follow this up with a sealant and wax for best results and to protect the work you put into applying glaze.

9. Jan 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    jeebee808

jeebee808 Member

Member:
    Pinnacle souveran paste wax is amazing for black paint, although it is pricey at almost $100 a bottle, if not Poorboys world natty blue wax is also really good and a lot cheaper.

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    BtacoP

BtacoP New Member

Member:
    Here's a picture of mine after using meguiar's carnuba/polymer blend wax. Sorry the picture isn't the best, took it with a cell phone. There was a commenter above that mentioned the black box. That's made by turtle wax. I would avoid that product. It looks decent but when it starts wearing off it will coat whatever rags you use to wash your taco in a black goo that is a pain in the ass to get rid of.

[​IMG]

11. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    differential

differential Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Black Pre Runner
    When I purchased my truck, I went and picked up the Turtle Wax Black Box. My perspective is that if you have an older vehicle, the black box would probably work pretty well to hide imperfections, and make the paint look good again without a big investment of money or time. It's an OK product, but as mentioned above, it's VERY messy.

I've been doing alot of research lately on this topic, and ordered some products from Chemical Guys. I've used them a few times on both my wife's car and mine, and so far, I'm extremely impressed with them.

Here's what I've been doing to my truck (and my wife's car).

1) Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n Gloss
    2) Clay Bar
    3) Chemical Guys Blacklight Sealant
    4) Chemical Guys V7 Detail Spray
    5) Zymol Carbon Wax

For both my black truck and my wife's metallic grey VW, this combination is amazing.

Of course, all of the above is applied with clean Micro Fiber towels. I wash the hell out of all my towels in HOT water, then put them in a plastic bin to keep them dust free until the next time I detail my vehicles.

I would like to try some of the Pinnacle Souveran Wax in place of the Zymol, but haven't ordered it yet. I would assume that it will provide great results as well. I would also like to try some of the Chemical Guys Pete's Black wax too, and it's much more sensibly priced at around $40 a can.

Here's a pic of my truck after the process above. Not the best pic, but awesome results.

bdqqux_c21e2ed32aadc22a997feb84d77c8b88967bcd20.jpg

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I would recommend any carnauba based wax. Everyone loves what they use and they're going to suggest that product since they feel its the best out there.

I know you asked for pics, but just remember...anyone can make the finish look good using the right camera angle.

13. Feb 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    azred

azred Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    MGM TX Pro
    I have a MGM Tacoma on order and am confused on how to detail it when I get it. Should I Clay Bar, Polish, then wax (Meguiar's Ultimate products)? I bought all three of those things to use on my old 2002 Grand Prix GTP and it did an awesome job. I have heard some say no clay bar for new vehicles and others say yes. All you detailing pros any suggestions? Thanks

14. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Zaino

/thread

15. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I did try Turtle Wax Ice and its shit you just as well smear vegetable oil all over the finish, Yesterday I striped off the ice with Dawn, clayed the finish washed again, Mequires polish and glaze with an orbital, then Mequires #26 looks great in the sun not smeared like the Turtle Wax shit!

16. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    oshawa tacoma

oshawa tacoma Active Member

Member:
  17. Mar 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    jmast

jmast Is it June yet

Member:
    First Name:
    O.I.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Taz mudflaps
    Zaino
    Just got my order in on Thurs
    You have to try this stuff

18. Mar 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thats good stuff! Anything from Meguiars IMO

19. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I have used meguiars nxt gen v2.0 wax..great results, really makes my SWB stand out

20. Apr 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    zaino

Products Discussed in

To Top