1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks. That was the only purpose I could think of.

2. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Also great to have on the highway. Mine has saved me from being stuck in traffic jams many times. It's nice to be able to "see" what's happening miles down the road.

3. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    So who saves you from being stuck in traffic jams ? Truckers mostly ? Do you mostly monitor their chit chat ?

4. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    Swapped out the reverse lights with Sylvania 886's, i havent been able to see well at night since I tinted the front windows

5. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Yeah, channel 19 gives you all the traffic info from the truckers plus where the cops are :spy:

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Back in the 70's and 80's when everyone had a CB radio in their car they were mainly used as others have stated, speed traps, gasoline availability and wreck avoidance. Nowadays they are not so popular which is good as back then the traffic was heavy all the time on every channel.

CB radios are the Redneck Ham Operators of the world. That cell phone will not work when the power goes down but that 12 volt CB radio will provide communications for a long distance as long as you got battery and a good antenna. Since the CB's are not so popular and technology has allowed devices to shrink and get cheaper I strongly suggest everyone own at least two of them of some sort. You never know when they may be very useful.

My Taco does not have a mounted CB installed but there is a handheld one in a pack with a 12 volt lighter plug in the front seat back pocket. Also I have a trunked scanner that has a CB frequency band. I use it to "listen" to the truckers as I travel and has saved me many a minute by avoiding speed traps and accidents and detours.

A small mobile CB will work as a base station too, just flip that mount over to the bottom so the bottom is open, speaker is on the bottom. I own a couple of these too purchased at ridiculously low prices at swap meets. CB's are just a tool that is so useful when needed and so cheap not to have at least one of them around in case it is ever needed. If all your close friends had one and the power went down you could still communicate with them. What better gift to a friend than a lifeline in an emergency.

7. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Cool. Nothing changed in 40 years. Maybe I'll have to look into a CB again - take some of the boring out of driving. Thanks for the reply.

8. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That's quite a write up. Thanks for the reply. Does it matter what brand or model I should buy if I find one cheap online or Craigslist ?

9. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    235/85/16 Goodyear Duratracs now on the truck. :D

10. Jan 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Tacozoid

Tacozoid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Katy Texas
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma Pre-runner
    Billsteins,Texas tint. Blue Dash mod. Console mod. in Blue, Customized grille
    [​IMG] Ebay, seller is 2011LED from China. I was suprised how fast it came in. $5.00 free shipping.:D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jan 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders

Well i think its safe to say that lusetaco and 45longcolt covered all the answers for me!

I would go with a cobra, but thats just personal preference. I know radioshack sells radios that seem to work well, and galaxy has nice ones too. (They are just a little expensive.)

12. Jan 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    Installed the EZ Lift for the tailgate, but going to have to make a new cable for that side as it binds up. Got it fairly cheap on Amazon.

13. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Reviews on this are good and you can not a lot to lose at $30. I'll check cobra next. Thanks.

14. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Not sure which radio your talking about for $30. But if it's $30, might as well give it a try!

15. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    got a link? Was looking at getting one, but didnt see one for the tacoma.

16. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    In a heated garage at my father-in-laws:

-Changed the oil
    -Emptied my Catch Can
    -Installed my In-Channel Cent Visors
    -Installed the switch for my bed LEDs, still waiting for the LEDs, but the switch has power
    -Installed new Brake Lights
    -Installed new LED turn signals and relocated their resitors
    -Installed AALs to bring my truck leafs up to TSB standards
    -Routed a bunch of wires
    -Cleaned my rear shocks, since they were off during the AAL process
    -Fixed the lower mesh in my lower front bumper

-Finishing it off with a beer on the couch.

17. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
  18. Jan 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Installed LT275/70/17 Hankook ATm's

[​IMG]

19. Jan 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    Installed OEM D-rings and cut bed mat to fit. Then painted the badges and front emblem.

uploadfromtaptalk1326585267679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326585295004.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326585327547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326585379007.jpg

20. Jan 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Back in the old days there were many different brands and models. Some even looked like a old first car type phone with a home handset and a cradle to hold it. Back then the channel limit was 23 and that got raised to 40 over time. So if you run across a 23 channel one that is an older model but still good if it works. There are some models that have Single Side Band capability. Only a like one can hear each other and talk to each other. It is used to gain a little distance and privacy.

The newer models are all about state of the art so it really doesn't matter which one you get, just a personal preference in features and shapes and styles. Think about power requirements and have the hook ups necessary for more than one source of power if possible. A whip antenna is the best for a vehicle CB antenna but that can be a little long and noticeable. I keep an older magnetic short whip in the tool box ready if needed. HTHS :)

Products Discussed in

To Top