1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! can a canadian buy a lifted truck from the states?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by corndogg, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    corndogg

corndogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cory
    Gillam Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    07 lifted tacoma
    -Fabtech 6 inch Performance Lift Kit with Dirt Logic Shocks -mickey thompson rims -35 inch pro comp tires -4 PIAA projector lights -full fabtech skid plate -pro comp wheels with 35 inch toyo mt -K&N air intake -Throttle body Spacers -fender flares -touch screen navigation -trd seat covers -outside of tailgate line x -MBRP pro series stainless steel dual catback.
    hey everybody i have a kid on the way which means i have to get rid of my lifted tacoma. i have been looking at some lifted tundra crewmax's but there in the states. is it possible for a canadian to buy a lifted truck from the states and bring it across the border? also taking offers on the truck lol

[​IMG]

2. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    You can fit a carseat in the back of an access cab just keep it!

3. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    corndogg

Member:
    First Name:
    cory
    Gillam Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    07 lifted tacoma
    -Fabtech 6 inch Performance Lift Kit with Dirt Logic Shocks -mickey thompson rims -35 inch pro comp tires -4 PIAA projector lights -full fabtech skid plate -pro comp wheels with 35 inch toyo mt -K&N air intake -Throttle body Spacers -fender flares -touch screen navigation -trd seat covers -outside of tailgate line x -MBRP pro series stainless steel dual catback.
    yeah but it will get small fast for us all, so a bigger truck is needed.

4. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs
  5. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Yes, you can take modified vehicles across the boarder. They have to be up to highway standards. Name brand lifts, tires and modifications. If you can prove there avaialble in canada, there should be no problem

They actually dont inspect your truck at the boarder. You drive through, go into the office, file the form you got from the us boarder. Then you goto the riv office, just down the street. Couple weeks later goto canadian tire and get an inspection. Your going to haveto put day time running lights on it. Think I paid $200. Outher then that, unless can tire says there is somehting seriously wrong with the lift. Just make sure its inspected VERY well in the usa before bringing it up

6. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    spares

spares Canadian Bacon

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport
    well speaking from experience, the technical answer for Tacomas is No. On the RIV forms it specifically states "this vehicle cannot be imported if equiipped with a lift kit" or somthing very similar. You may be able to slide it past Canadian tire, they make the final sign off in the end

7. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    But if it is lift that can be bought "retail" in Canada it will pass inspection. You just have to prove it is available to be purchased in canada and was installed professionaly in the usa. In other words you can challenge it if they dont allow it.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's
    NO! you cant bring a lifted truck across the border, I tried to import my truck with a 3" rev tech spacer and they sent me back to the US, couldn't cross until i had the stock height. Huge pain in the ass, u can bring the lift across it just cant be on the truck. Now that being said they didnt actually inspect the truck one of the border officers just happened to see it, so as long as they dont notice it then you can get through the border, but the lift will have to come off to pass the provincial/ federal inspection and the tires and everything else have to be stock as well for that I had switch out a muffler and tires in order to pass the inspection. HUGE!! pain the the ass trust me its not worth it

9. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's

Sorry man dont no where you heard that but i just went through this last year and everything has to be stock in order to pass the federal/provincial inspection

10. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Ummm........Can you buy a stock height truck and lift it when you get it? Or is that against Canadian rules?

11. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    The owner of the shop acros the street from mine, bought a lifted gmc. they wouldnt let him cross the border until it was returned to stock form. once he brought it back nd completed the out of province inspection, he put the lift back on.

PITA. buy a stocker imo. not worth the hassle

12. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    From what I understand, you can not import any 'modified' vehicles into Canada. They have to be in stock condition. Could be a costly mistake for you. I would (and did) just buy a stock vehicle, import it and modify it up here in Canada.

13. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    corndogg

Member:
    First Name:
    cory
    Gillam Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    07 lifted tacoma
    its from a dealer called truckmax they put brand new lifts and tires on thmem. all thos mods are brand new. so would this make a difference. its all done by a profesional.

14. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    corndogg

Member:
    First Name:
    cory
    Gillam Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    07 lifted tacoma
    [​IMG] this is the truck

15. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    That looks sweet!!

16. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    wHY CANADIAN TIRE??? Thats the last place on earth Id have a motor vehicle inspection done

17. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    corndogg

Member:
    First Name:
    cory
    Gillam Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    07 lifted tacoma
    i have read that canadian tire is the only place u can get it done. im looking into bringing this truck as much as i can but im getting so many different answers.

18. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Ya, I imported mine last year too. They never checked mine at the boarder. Thats good to know tho.

How I understood it, like above, once you go to inspection at can tire and they start asking questions if you can prove it can be bought in canada, even if its already installed, theyll pass it. I dont know if you can buy revtech in canada. I know there has been people that have done it this way before but its obviously very risky if they find out. Especially with that bumper on it. That would give it away.

Ive seen that truck on ebay too. Thought it was a little overpriced for what you can get a stock one for. Really nice tho.

Give RIV a call, tell them all the details about dealership installed features. Id get them to send me some documentation that it can pass and the boarder cant deny entry.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Riv 1-888-848-8240

If they give it the ok and you purchase it make sure to get all the paperwork togeather before bringing it back.

20. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Canadina tire is the only place to get it done. I dont mind them, they let me inspect there work and show me the problems. Theyve tried to oversell me before but I just get them to prove it. Its better then paying $100+ more at the dealership

Only day time running lights need to be put on before it will be cleared

Products Discussed in

To Top