1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My dad burns painted wood (very bad). How do i create a pressurized home to vent air

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Airwolf NSX, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    Airwolf NSX

Airwolf NSX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    Not sure if this is making any sense but here goes:

My pal said, in order to create a positive displacement inside a car to push air out (let's say you're running test pipes and want to make sure the smell is kept out), he says to close your windows and turn your air inside.

Same concept or is it?

My dad burns painted wood and he drives me crazy. Highly toxic and he just doesn't get it. Stubborn he is and won't listen. Well, i'm tired of fighting him on this but I don't want my mom poisoned with the fumes. Is there a way to push the air out? I know if you open windows, the air comes in but that doens't do much.

I want to make sure that the fireplace smell is pushed into the fireplace as much so the smell won't occupy the house.

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    He needs to stop asap. There has got to be a way to get him to quit. Maybe a firefighter on here will chime in with some tips on getting him to quit it! I would think the fumes of the burnt paint would be in the house regardless of what you do.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    No woodstove ?!

A woodstove wouldn't cure the problem 100% but a properly installed WS would probably draft better than a typical FP.

He's prolly burning this junk to save money. Throw down for a cord of seasoned firewood and take his "stash" to the dump.
    That would be the immediate solution.

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    A fireplace puts the house under negative pressure as it consumes air from inside the house as part of the combustion process , and it goes up the chimney .

Opening a window a crack will ensure that there is a steady supply of fresh air .

There are a couple issues here , if there is a temperature inversion outside , or you have a strong range hood or bath fans on , you can draw some of the smoke and toxic fumes back into the house .

Also , depending on what your chimney is made of , chemicals in paint , treated lumber , etc can eat the chimney liner .

Just stop .

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    beat him with a whiffle bat.

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Just what I was gonna say.

7. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    learn something new everyday.

maybe show him this thread so he knows that it is very bad?

8. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Airwolf NSX

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the input everyone.

i've tried to change my dad and let him see but he's incredibly stubborn and if it isn't his way, it's the highway. If you don't like it, then leave.

My concern is for my mom and sister. I try to show him the truth in this but he doesn't care. I've tried and tried, but he gets pissed at me and yells at me. Mind you, he's 63.

Trying to teach him but as the saying goes, " you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

9. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i work for a environmental contractor and we remove asbestos and lead, (hazardous waste) on a daily basis. that is one of the fastest ways to expose yourself to lead poisoning.
    http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/library/lead/pyf_eng.pdf

^^^^^^^^

print that up and show him this.

10. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Yeah, explains why other rooms in the house get cold when a fireplace is going in another room, it's sucking the air out from the rest of the house and sending it out thru the chimney. Only rooms fireplaces make warm is the room it's in.

11. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    unless you beat that old dog with a whiffle bat

12. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Andrew H

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Also. Instead of just getting on his ass about it, have you given him a solution? Try buying him bundles of clean firewood so it's readily available for him to use and just as easy.

13. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    ^^^
    if you buy it, he'd have to use it.

14. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    you really need to put your foot down on this, especially for your sister and mom, also your dad because the health risks are too high for permanent damage, especially if your sister is planning on having children of her own someday.

15. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    Airwolf NSX

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    OH yeah, tried this. he gets upset at me for spending money and buying something we can get for free.

UGH!

He has a contractor friend that does a lot of removal of wood from fascia/eaves on homes. Instead of disposing it, he has his friend bring it to our house.

I've been secretly throwing pieces of wood away but i can't keep up with the volume he delivers the rotted wood fascia/eaves..

16. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    see i think this may be a case where this is necessary.

"dad shut the hell up and listen to what i am telling you, this is how its going to be and you need to deal with it, if you love your mom and daughter you will want whats best for them right? well burning this is not good."

what we do for my grandparents every year is me and my family (like 5 of us) drive the 6 hour drive to their cabin and cut wood all day every day so they are fine through the winter. might be a good idea for you guys to do the same?

17. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Old fascia and eaves huh...Probably has lead paint on it.

Don't have kids...for the love of God, please don't have kids.

[​IMG]

18. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    This! So what if he's mad...there will be a massive pile of good wood ;)

oh...and wood stove FTW!

or this... :laugh:

19. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    Wiffle bat, works every time... wait wut

20. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    /\/\ what he said :D

Products Discussed in

To Top