1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Surprisingly good snow traction with stock Dunlops

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Surferdude, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    So we finally got our first real snow of the year, about 6-8" the other day!

I decided it was time to teach my step-daughter how to handle slipping, sliding and ABS in snow. We have an old Wal-mart that closed down and the whole parking lot was unplowed.

We did a bunch of tooling around in 4wd with ZERO problems. Put it in 2wd and turned off the auto ABS/Traction feature, whatever that's called. I was amazed how decent the traction was, in fairly deep snow on asphalt. Yes it would spin if she stepped too heavy/quick, but otherwise, no problems.

I did at this point, teach her the fine art of spinning donuts! Much fun.

So anyway, much to my surprise the stock Dunlops did fairly well.

Here's a pic a couple days later where my boat is stored, not my RV in the background.

IMG_0561.jpg

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    My Dunlops took me through a 19" snow last year, at least the 50 yards from my driveway to the plowed road (several times). Still, no complaints. I bailed on them in the spring when I upgraded wheels and tires. I don't think people have too much trouble getting around in snow with them but the big complaint is tire life. I went to 265/75R16 Dynapros but haven't had any snow to play in this year!

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Don't get too excited yet... the first year mine did great, by the next winter (about 15k miles later) they were pretty sketchy and by 30k miles they were junk. Glad to hear you had a successful teaching experience with your daughter!

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Oh indeed, I don't plan to keep em, I was just surprised they didn't totally suck in the first snowfall. I was actually hoping they would totally suck and I'd have rationalized a new tire purchase by now!

Polymer, I plan to go with exactly the tires you have, 265/75R16 Dynapros. I had those on my RAM 1500 and my daughter's Liberty, great tires.

I also need better/bigger rims, stock are so ugly.

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Yeah, I sold my stock steelies and Dunlops with about 6k on them for $200. I wanted out of those 245s real bad!

Products Discussed in

To Top