1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 exhaust manifold...LT Headers?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 375taco, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    375taco

375taco [OP] controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    I read somewhere they changed up the 2010 exhaust manifold and you really dont need headers....I dont know if that is true I haven't researched it that much and I dont really remember where I read that...so that being said I have a 4.0L and I was wondering with out a big debate because I know everyone has their own preferance should I go Y-Pipe to exhaust or full headers,y-pipe,exhaust...Is it worth the money?

2. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    i have a 2010 (see profile) and i plan to do every thing i can to pull the most power out of it... once i can afford it lol, might be 5 years lol

3. Jun 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Lets see pics of it! i didnt know they changed the manifold between years. The DT LT's will still yield you more power than any stock unit.

4. Jun 30, 2010 at 2:47 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    :popcorn: ps...go headers before going y-pipe

5. Jun 30, 2010 at 3:54 AM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    +1

Also, no matter whether it's 2005, or 2010, you can not tell me that headers are not needed. OEM Manifolds are no where near designed for maximum HP. Plus, if you are going for DTLT Headers the main benefit there is removing the front Cats. The 2010 Manifold still has Cats, so of course adding a set of Long Tubes will gain you some HP.

Get the Headers, and a good highflow exhaust. You will be happy with the gains. If you want a really loud truck add the Y-pipe:cool:

enjoy.

6. Jun 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    375taco

375taco [OP] controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    thanks for the help! If i go DTLT Headers I think I will get the Doug thorley set up with the pipe bomb on it....I think thats what its called? I dont want it really loud. Just a nice sound...beefy

7. Dec 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    I was wondering if the 2010 exhaust manifold was stainless steel or cast iron?

8. Dec 25, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    RenoTacoma

RenoTacoma Petrol head

Member:
    First Name:
    Sloan
    Reno, nevada
    Vehicle:
    09 Base 4x4 Tacoma
    3.5" lift 285/70/17
    Im pretty sure my 09 is a steel of some sort but not cast metal

9. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The '09 + is something like stamped steel. They have a design that is two piece welded together. Runners that curve in the direction of flow, to direct the exhaust flow more efficiently.

The '05-'08 have a round tube welded to a flange that has three holes drilled into it, which is the header. Simplest header design.

If you are an N/A owner between the years of '05-'08 and still have the factory headers on, then swapping to the '09+ will make the driver immediately notice an increase in power.

10. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    I was thinking of using a manifold wrap(header wrap) to increase scavenging effect.
    I read somewhere that wrapping a cast iron manifold could be dangerous, it may crack it.

11. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Care to elaborate why not?

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    You are correct about wrapping the stock headers. There really isn't a way to get a wrap on them, until after they merge, just before the catalytic converter. Simply because there aren't individual primary tubes, like on the aftermarket headers.

Which is what i thought the question refered to. On the, JBA or Doug Thorley headers, it is beneficial. One simplest reason is because you can wrap them completely.

The JBA headers are made out of 409 mild steel. The Doug Thorley headers are now made out of 304 stainless steel. Much better than the 409, in strength as well as corrosion/weather resistance. I.E. preventing rust.

People say you shouldn't wrap the headers because the wrap has the potential to hold moisture. On a lot of aftermarket headers for a variety of vehicles, they are made from 409 mild steel, and the wrap has helped aid in earlier rust build up.

The solution. Buy better headers. Made from 304 stainless steel. Wrap them, and spray them down with silicone, to create a water barrier. Once wrapped, you will now get better performance because your engine bay is now cooler, making your motor run cooler.

13. Jan 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    B.Radd.KO

B.Radd.KO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blanalin
    Prince George, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD Std.
    HID Fog/Hi/Low 3000W RMS Stereo TRD Quickshifter TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust JBA Headers
    Thanks for the tip. I havent actually taken my stock headers off my 1GR-FE but i read somewhere that there is two layers to it.

Its not easy to explain, but the outer layer is supposedly like a heat sheild. According to the information i found there is an air gap between this heat shield and the actual exhaust pipe, making it hard to tell the actual diameter of the manifold by simply looking at it.

Im not saying the 09+ manifold isn't bigger than the 05-08, and im not saying this information is gospel because i haven't seen it for myself, I was hoping someone might be able to confirm or refute this information (Refute? Man now im getting into words i don't understand.... SHIT!)

14. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    You are correct. The '09+ headers have a swept back design. Obviously to aid in efficient exhaust flow. Clear improvement over the prior design, which was effectively a log with three holes into, and one out.

15. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    Im looking for away to increase the flow of exhaust with out increasing pipe size.
    There are pipe wraps different than a wrap. The idea here is to increase fuel mileage.

But this looks to be more of a ass pain to me.

16. Jan 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    To increase exhaust flow without changing diameters, would require this. Looking for any restrictions in the exhaust. Such as kink bends, reductions in diameter, and cats. You would have to replace those with mandrel bends, no reductions, and remove cats.

17. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Kms254

Kms254 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    Overhead Compass/Temp, TRD Sport Suspension, Nitto EXO Grappler 265/70/17
    For those of you who were wondering here is a picture of my 2011 Tacoma. You can see it has a slightly swept back design, although headers could improve this greatly. If I had thought about it ahead of time, this would be quite simple to put on a set of DTLT. It would be a 5 min job...

DSC01852.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top