1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new kitchen

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by RoyB, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    RoyB

RoyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I don't mean to hog this section, but I am now going to re-do my kitchen. I realize this isn't a garage or workshop, perse....so oh well.

Here is the before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First order of business is to tear the 2 walls down:

[​IMG]

This will start tomorrow! Roommate wants to help. so....she is.

I have the new layout, need to upload it I guess. Basically the fridge is getting move to the where the pantry is, pantry is moved over, built-in oven is ditched in favor of a slide in range with micro. cabinets will now extend past where the fridge is currently and almost to the glass sliding door. there will be a huge island where the 2 walls currently sit as well.

Budget: 10K.
    Estimated cost: 12K.

I am going to go over budget already, and know it. Cabinets alone are $4600 and tops are $3500. I have to redo the floors on the whole upper floor, minus the bedrooms. I guess that isn't considered part of the kitchen, even though it still has to be done though. Those three things alone will hit the budget of 10K though :( Oh well. Will update periodically with pictures of the progress!

2. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
  3. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    ive seen ikea stuff, no thanks. i work construction so i see what is good and what isnt. if i wanted construction grade cabinets i would be looking at around 2500-3000 for the same setup.

4. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    The ones I looked at were better quality than the thin cheap cabinets my builder put in. Good luck on your kitchen update. Look forward to your progress picks.

5. Mar 4, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    i cant find much info on the cabs on their website...looks like the sides are only offered in particle board though, instead of plywood.

I got it prepped for tomorrow. decided to take off the trim and wood. then I figured id just hit the drywall once with the hammer. well, i couldn't stop myself :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she already looks bigger! I had to leave a wall for the roommate cause she woulda been pissed if I took the whole thing down without her lol.

6. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    got the roommate helping:

[​IMG]

once the walls were all down I was left with some outlets and switches that I had to re-route. Luckily I know a good electrician ;)

You can see the new set of switches to the left that I cut in...kinda. Put three, one for the fan, one for the cans that aren't there yet and one for the cans in the living room that arent there yet :) The dining room switch got moved to near the sliding door because I didn't think it made sense to switch it all the way by the hall. The pendants over the island will be switched at the island. :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got new batteries for my better camera so the wide angles will look more normal now. Tomorrow I need to pick up some drywall and start filling in the gaps on the ceiling.

7. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    are u going to replace the appliances

8. Mar 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I have to. I am going with a slide-in range so the cook top and built-in oven arent going to work. Also switching to gas instead of crapelectric. Fridge may stay until funds allow a new one.

9. Mar 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Go with a duel fuel range trust me u will like it beter than a gas oven

10. Mar 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I know I would. However, they are also extremely expensive :( I am going to leave a 220v hook up along with gas and 110v too. I will have all kinds of options then.

11. Mar 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    Roy, just make sure you take a ton of pictures. You won't regret it. We took a year (did it ourselves) to remodel our kitchen, living room, and dining room. We still look back at the pictures and are amazed at what a mess we had. We did similar to what you did by tearing out a wall. Our budget was $18,000 but spent $4,000 over budget by pretty much redoing the electrical in the whole house. I guess I don't really have a good picture of the finished product.

IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg

12. Mar 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    cool looking kitchen. I just remodeled my second house in WI. It's almost finished, need to take some new pictures.

Heres some before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tear down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

latest pictures I have, i need to take some new ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the rest of the pictures for the whole house: http://crawlinvette.com/kenosha/

13. Mar 30, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Looking good RoyB!!! Man, this brings back memories.

14. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    Hey Roy,
    What's up with the sheet rock over the lath? Had the plaster already been taken off or did they sheet rock over the lath? Just curious. When I done our kitchen I had taken 6100 lbs of plaster to the dump. Had to shovel it out of my two pickups and trailer. What a pain...by far the worst part of the remodel.

15. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    ummmmm you're roomate is over dressed for the job :D

16. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    Well, finally got around to ordering the cabinets and they came in the other day. So...I started to tear out the current ones and re-pipe it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure on the stove I want yet, so there will be a gas line, 110v and 220v box there for it :) Thought about putting a hood over the oven and moving the microwave, but I would be losing too much upper cabinet space near the dishwasher, and then shelling out another 1000 for a hood. Oh well. Luckily I think I can vent the microwave outside though the plumbing wall which is open to the attic. sweet.

17. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Looks good so far Roy. How long do you think it will take you to finish?

18. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I need to plumb the fridge water line and gas line in tonight. Tomorrow I am going to look at wine fridges for my island so I can build that, and the rest of the appliances. The drywallers are supposed to come on saturday. It's the one thing that I can't do and is way easier to just hire someone.

I need to pick up the tile floor and lay that down sometime next week, and then slap the cabs up. I was going to give the cab. work to a laid off carpenter I know, but he seems too busy now so I may just do it myself.

Then order the tops, get the appliances in....and the wood floors. So, hopefully I can start cooking in 2 weeks, 3 weeks at the latest.

19. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    nice work on the kitchen. I am going to be buying my first house today, if my bid is accepted.. the place has green plastic counter tops.. I want to get rid of them.. but ill need to wait since the place has some other issues to be taken into account first.. does anybody have a good site they recommend that has how-tos on general home repair?

20. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    www.diynetwork.com actually has some good how-to articles on a multitude of subjects.

Products Discussed in

To Top