1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me choose Camera Please

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sunner, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Sunner

Sunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I want to get a camera but have NO CLUE where to start sense there is so many of them and photography is not something I know anything about yet. I want to try to keep it at between $200-$300 for the Camera, I know that isn't alot in the photography world since it seems like alot of the high end cameras are a couple grand. What are some good camera's you guys recommend in this range and where do you shop for them? Ill start comparing from there. Thanks!

2. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    cannon digital rebel is a great camera for an amateur photographer the the lenses can fit the original rebel to if your into regular cameras..

3. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    are you looking for a small point and shoot? fully automatic? a larger format camera with the ability to shoot manually? help us out here a little bit.

it's kind of liking asking what kind of car to get...besides the budget, what are your parameters, what are you going to use it for?

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Sunner

Member:

Yeah I understand that its pretty broad request but like I said I dont know much about them yet, but Im looking for something that captures pictures in a large resolution and can take multiple pictures quickly, pictures like the one below. I want to be able to capture shots of objects in action like this with decent quality. I hope thats achievable in my set budget.
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    Sunner

Member:

Ill look into that, thank you.

6. Jan 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    That's not a lot of budget for a dSLR/lens combo. Even for a small P&S.

But everyone starts someplace. If you're willing to consider used, I think you might find something. An older Canon Rebel with a kit lens would be your best bet for a dSLR. A smaller point and shoot is something to consider as well although finding a good used one is going to be a real challenge.

Have a look in the flea market sections of some of the various photography sites. I think that might yield you some results.

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    no prob...

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    this might be a stretch but how about the go pro? they take 1080p still photos and 1080p video, not the most practical to see your photos right away unless you have a laptop with you but a great camera for the price and its almost indestructible. plus all the cool mounts so you can mount it to your truck. for the extra money you can get the LCD attachment so you can see what you are doing.

9. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The thing about a GP is you cannot zoom in. If all you want is Wide Angle shots, it's great.

10. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Super Charger, UWS, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with sway bar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule, Leitner Active Cargo System, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, Nilight - 60005C-A 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar.
  11. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Shiftytaco

Shiftytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Work in Progress
    If it was me, a used or refurbished, couple year old DSLR(Nikon or Canon) would be something I would look into. This way you still have the auto setting for a point and shoot but if you were to get into it more, it will be something you can grow into. It fits your price range and is fully capable of taking the pictures you want and more.

12. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    e11even

e11even Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    ^^ Agree. A used DSLR is the way to go. Find one on craigslist. Don't get caught up in the megapixel craze. Unless you're printing billboards or doing serious cropping, 8-10MP is plenty. It's the quality, not the quantity of megapixels. I'd also recommend focusing more on the lenses than the camera. A 50mm f 1.8 lens is a great first purchase and it's relatively cheap at around $100. Plus if you upgrade camera bodies, you can take that with you to the next setup.

Other option is to get a point and shoot that does videos, then get a software package that will extract still frames from the videos to get your action shots.

13. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    I always refer to consumer reports when i'm looking to buy something like camera

14. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Sunner

Member:
    Awesome, you all got alot cleared up for me, ill start hunting for one here soon. Thanks guys.

15. Feb 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    If you just want to take pictures for documentation, and keeping records, and just having fun, I would say point and shoot. I like my Nikon, its small, and I can take it anywhere, and its within your budget for new. But if you want to get into taking cooler pictures and be able to actually tweek stuff, and get creative, get a dslr. I picked up a Canon T3 body and a Canon 18-135 IS lense for close to $650, new, about a month ago from bhphoto.com. Also the dslr cameras arent small, so thats something to think about too.

16. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Call me crazy, but if you aren't all into cameras and want to start with something that can zoom big, check out the Super Zooms from Nikon/Canon. You can shoot fairly wide angle and most advertise 30-35x zoom. They're basically like a P&S, with a lot more zoom, obviously. The lens cannot be swapped, but the advantage is that it'll probably stay cleaner. You can find those in your price range. The disadvantage is their sensors aren't any bigger than a P&S, so low light won't produce awesome photos, they'll be grainy and if there's motion, you'll see blur. But in good light, especially outdoors, you'll be good to go. They can shoot photos like what you have above. IMO, that pic isn't that great looks like too slow of an exposure to me. A DSLR with some decent glass can do much better than that.

To go with a DSLR, your budget will make you buy used. Craigslist is a good place to look around, if you don't have a camera shop in town. I shoot Nikon, but Canon is good too. I can't speak to their models, but a Nikon D40 is as light and inexpensive as they come. It's a favorite non-work camera for pros who shoot Nikon. A D70 is a decent step up from there, as it can drive a few more lenses. The D70 is 6MP. What does that mean for you? NOTHING! Megapixels are a way to hype up cameras. Crazy high MP counts on tiny sensors can actually introduce more noise into your shots, but the sales guys will call me a dirty liar for saying that. I can't blame them, I like cash too! But it's all about the size of the sensor. A DSLR sensor can be 10x the size of a P&S. The DSLR has auto mode and probably a selection of scene modes. That's a start, but shutter, aperture and manual modes are a click away for when you get more advanced.

If you want video too, newer DSLR's can, but that's a hack, IMO. They have their application, but it's not typically the casual shooter. The P&S's can do that better for you, shooting at up to 1080p with high frames per second.

I'll shut up now!

Good luck and enjoy!

17. Feb 2, 2012 at 3:16 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

If you want video too, newer DSLR's can, but that's a hack, IMO
    can you tell why you said this...thanks!

18. Feb 2, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    dSLR video has appeared in a lot of movies, short films and commercials. So I'd have to say it's not a hack. Of course, not all dSLRs support video the same way and if you really think you'll do high quality video production, then be more careful about what you choose.

If you want examples, Google Vincent LaForet.

19. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    e11even

e11even Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    I haven't looked into point and shoot cameras lately, so they may have changed. But generally, they have a much longer lag time (push the button.... wait for it....wait for it.....clikc...picture taken). Then it takes a while to be able to get the next shot. So getting your multiple action shots may be difficult with a PAS. Although they probably have "burst mode" or something now that takes several in a row. That's why I suggested filming in movie mode and using a software package to extract still frames.

20. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    FixedTRD

FixedTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Alhambra, CA
    All pro LT, All pro front bumper,All pro rear fox, 1.5 full leaf and u bolt flip kit. KR sliders, bestop, high lift with custom mount, katskin leather, Hankook MT and atx artillery. DMZ SUA w/FOX triple bypass
    You can also look into a used Sony Nex-3 its about $300 or a nex-5 which is a little more. I have the nex-5n and love it. Does 1080 videos and its also a interchangeable lens camera as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top