1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for Purchasing

Discussion in 'New Members' started by wannataco, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys. I currently own a Tundra, however my situation has changed a little bit and im hoping to move to a Tacoma. Im hoping in the process I can lower my payment, and improve on gas mileage a little bit. I know a good deal about toyota in general however most of my experience has been with Tundras. Before purchasing a new Tacoma are there any common issues i should have inspected? I know that with Tundras typically the TRD package is considered a waste of money. Does this apply to the Tacoma as well? I am basically looking for general advice, things to consider and things to look for as i am trying to purchase a used Tundra. Also if there is anything significant that has changed from year to year that would make one year model better than the next? I figured there wouldn't be a better place to ask these questions, and hopefully sometime soon i can throw some pictures up of a new tacoma. Also if anyone in Texas wants to trade their Tacoma for a Tundra let me know ;)

Thanks Guys

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    You got it. Better milage at least. Get the options that fit you best. Good luck.

[​IMG]

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    wannataco,

With the exception of decals, thimbobs and doohickies the only real thing about a TRD is a electriclly operated locking rear differential. The much touted Bilstein shocks of the TRD package are not true Bilsteins. Rather they are Toyota specification shocks made by Bilstein. There is a big difference. No matter which Tacoma, the rear springs are weak. Some will be fine if they only haul groceries with the truck.

You did not say your intended purpose for a Tacoma, so hard to advise you other than do not accept Dunlop tires on a truck. Are you wanting 4X4? Regular cab, Access cab or Double cab? Manual transmission or Automatic? 4 Cylinder or V6?

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Another major reason I bought a TRD, aside from the locking diff are the seats are awesome, way more comfortable than the standard seats. The only possible way my truck could be more comfortable for me is if it had heated seats. The other features of the TRD such as the bed power outlet are really convenient.

The rear leaf springs aren't too bad. I have the TSB leafs and they have held up well to everything I've thrown at it from hauling whatever to towing. They do tend to squeek a bit, but thats my fault for mudding my truck when I was younger.

5. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the TRD weather it's the Sport or the Off Road has different seats, alloy wheels, 6 disc cd and the back up camera, aside from the graphics/painted surrounds (sport) and locker (off road). At least that's what I thought I remembered. But you can research that on the Toyota web site. For me it was worth it.

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    Well, I am definitely looking for a double cab 4x4. I need to be able to get car seats in the back if i need to. My intended purpose is a daily driver, although i plan on playing as well. I dont plan on doing any serious off roading, but i dont want to be limited either. I am set on 4x4 because i am in the military, and have no idea where i will transfer next. I have been in alaska before, and wouldn't mind going back so 4x4 is a must. I want to get a truck that wil last me for many years, so i'd rather not pass on something that i wont be able to get later if its something important. So you you think the electrically locking diff is a must? Also what are opinions on the pre runner package? I am excited to be looking for a Tacoma, but i want to be sure i dont have one single shred of buyers remorse on my purchase. Obviously i know the search function is there, but the wide range of things im looking for, and the things im not even considering make that difficult. Thats why im asking for advice from the experts :D

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    I think a lot of the feature you listed are included with the sr5 package. Also what is everybody opinion on buying a new 2012 vs a 2008-2011 with low mileage?

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a dblcb 4x4 sport (o7), the only thing i regret not getting is the locker, which Sports do not come with, the Off-Road versions come with that. as for the TRD stuff, it's the same vehicle as the sr5, the fake bilstiens are garbage anyways, after swapping out the stockers for real bilstein 5100's the difference is huge. The only other thing is the rear leafs, find a vehicle that has already had the rear leaf TSB done to it so it saves you the hassle of adding a leaf yourself. I occasionally off road (not hardcore), but i regularly load the truck with materials and tools, i am happy with the product over all but if the rear locker is not that big of a deal to you, get the non-trd save some $ and use the difference for good shocks and some other mods.

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok thank you for the insight. It sounds like a lot of the things i have learned about the tundra seem to apply for the tacoma. I just need to find the right deal!

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    wannataco,

If you decide on new, I would suggest making it part of the deal that they do the rear leaf spring TSB upgrade BEFORE you take possession. Try to talk the dealer into installing REAL Bilstein (4600s or 5100s)shocks at that time as well. Also, I would make sure it had the tires on it you want. Make that part of the deal. No use buying the truck and turning around and replacing tires 30 days later. $200-300 upgrade in tires verses $800-1000 out of pocket 30 days later.

As for the locker differential of the "OFF ROAD TRD". I used mine two times. Once to see if worked. The second time, ten years later, I was stuck so bad, it was no help.

With Tacoma residual values being so high, seriously consider new verses used. You will have an easier time getting the dealer to do the things(tires, shocks, springs) I suggested as well on a new truck.

11. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you and i will do that. Keep it coming guys, i appreciate all the help.

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

13. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    wannataco

wannataco [OP] Member

Member:
    OK guys, im getting close to a deal here and wanted to see what you guys think for a price check.

2012 Toyota Tacoma MSRP
    Model - 7594 DOUBLE CAB 4X4 Base: $28,230.00
    Exterior Color - 01E7 SILVER MICA METALLIC Installed Options: $4,564.00
    Interior Color - FJ13 GRPHT/DRK CHARCL/BLK GRPH Total: $32,794.00
    * Base MSRP includes delivery charge
    ** Prices subject to change without notice
    *** Please refer to vehicle Monroney label for final specifications and pricing
    Standard Features for this model
    MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE EXTERIOR
    - 4.0L DOHC 24V V6 VVT-i 236HP Engine - Black Grille Insert/Surround, Blk Door
    - 5-Speed ECT-i Automatic Transmission - Handles, Mirrors, Front/Rear Bumpers
    - 4WDemand: Part-Time 4x4 Sys w/ 2-speed - SMC Inner Bed w/Steel Outer Panels,
    - Electronically Controlled Transfer Case - Storage, Rail Caps & Removable Tailgate
    - Automatic Limited-Slip Differential - Deck Rail System w/4 Adj Tie-Down Cleats
    - Coil-Spring Double Wishbone Front Susp INTERIOR
    - Rear Leaf Spring Susp with Staggered - Air Conditioning
    - Outboard-Mounted Gas Shock Absorbers - Power Windows / Door Locks / Mirrors
    - Var-Assist Power Rack-&-Pinion Steering - Cloth Bucket Fr Seats w/ Pass Fold-Flat
    - Power-Assisted Fr Disc/Rr Drum Brakes - Driver Seat w/ Adj Lumbar Support
    - 16" Styld Steel Wheels, P245/75R16 Tires - 60/40 Split Rr Bench Seat w/ Adj Hdrests
    SAFETY & CONVENIENCE - AM/FM CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback,6 Spkrs, BT
    - Star Safety System- Includes Vehicle - Aux Jack, USB, & Str Whl w/ Audio Ctrls
    - Stability Control, Traction Control, - Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel
    - Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic - 2-Speed Windshield Wipers
    - Brake Force Distribution, Brake Assist, - Dual 12V Aux Power Outlets (1+Cigarette)
    - & Smart Stop Technology (SST)
    - Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Airbag System
    - Seat-Mounted Side & Side Curtain Airbags
    - 3-Point Seatbelts for All Seating
    - Positions; Driver-Side ELR & ALR/ELR on
    - All Pass Sts, Dr & Fr Pass Active Hdrest
    - Side-Impact Door Beams
    - Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
    Selected Options and Packages
    Code Description Code Description
    FE 50 State Emissions RL Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    OC TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package TW V6 Tow Package
    - (Savings of up to $470): Off-Road Tuned - for Off-Road Package: Class-IV Towing
    - Suspension w/ Bilstein Shocks, Elect Cntrl - Receiver Hitch, Transmission &
    - Locking Rear Differential, 16" Alloy - Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130A Alternator,
    - Wheels w/ P265/70R16 BFG Tires, VSC+A-TRAC - Heavy Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector
    - in place of Std. VSC+TRAC w/ HAC & DAC, - w/Converter, Trailer Sway Control
    - Engine Skid Plate, Fr Tow Hook, 115V/400W CF Premium Carpet Mat Set
    - Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Rmte Keyless - w / Door Sill Protectors
    - Entry, Cruise Cntl, Var. Speed Wipers, F1 VIP Sales Follow-Up
    - Chrome Grille Surround & Rr Bumper, I2 PDS -with Texas State Inspection
    - Color-Keyed Fr Bumper & Overfenders, G1 Vehicle Fueling (4 Gal.)
    - Sliding Rear Window w/ Privacy Glass,
    - Sport Water-Resistant Seats w/ Dr Lumbar
    - Support (Pass Side Fold Flat Feat Delete),
    - Metallic Tone Inst. Panel Trim,
    - Leather-Trimmed Steering Wheel w/ Audio
    - Controls, Leather-Trimmed Shifter, Dual

Vehicle Price: $32,794.00
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $896.30
    Customer Rebate: - $500.00
    Total Selling Price: $31,397.70

How is the deal? Also i was thinking about trying to get a few extras tossed in any suggestions? I was thinking tint all around, or maybe a roof rack? I'd like to get some real bilsteins installed but i think that may be pushing my luck. Thanks guys.

14. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    That's high. I researched and researched before I bought mine and came to the conclusion that most people get them down 3k off a 32k truck. I did plus another 1k from Toyota for the college grad program. (thanks to my wife) Sticker on mine was 32k after the dealer add on's was actually 33k. I got it for 28k. I really got 3k off aside from the college grad which is from Toyota. The dealer extra's were tossed out. Was paint protection, fabric protection and such. Supposedly already on the truck but they just ate that. :rolleyes: But it was supposed to be with a paint and fabric coverage also so I did lose that. :jerkoff:

15. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Sunner

Sunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seems like you have decided on new, but something to consider on the older models that I didnt see above, 05-06 have weak transmissions(manual) and weak motormounts. FYI

16. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    wannataco,

Use "Edmunds.com" or "Kelly Blue Book", there are many other sites as well. There you will find the average selling price for new vehicles like the one you are considering. Use that as your upper limit on price. With all of the options you have selected, there is a lot of room for price negotiating.

Seriosly consider having the dealer install the upgraded rear leaf spring TSB before accepting the truck,( 4 leaf springs, instead of the current 3). When you bring up the spring TSB, then would be the time to mention the installation of Real Bilstein shocks, at least on rear. Real Bilsteins also will have a lifetime warranty, ( the Toyota Bilsteins do not).

17. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    KevinG

KevinG Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad Double Cab
    I don't know if you bought yet, but a few things...

New vs. Used? Buy new! The resale of the Double Cab TRD is so high that you are really better off buying new. According to KBB (I know it isn't an exact number), my 2010 is worth more than I paid for it new. Go figure.

I would advise you wait until the end of August to get one. I bought mine at the end of August 2010 as a "Leftover". Looks to be the same thing you listed. MSRP was close to 33K, and I bought it for a little over 26K. Also, do all your negotiating online. Make up a "fake" Yahoo account to collect all the spam they will send you. Never give out your phone number. Once you feel out a few places, lie (resonably) about what you are getting for offers to other dealers. Someone will beat the fake offer.

TRD is mandatory. As was mentioned before, the seats are different. The SR5 seats suck... there is very little support. Another thing that I didn't see mentioned is the XM/Sirius antenna. I'm not sure, but I think that was only available on the TRD. Even if you don't have it hooked up, you want it on the truck (unless you have no interest in Satalite radio).

Also, look at the tires before buying it. Someone had already mentioned a tire upgrade. The BF Goodrich tires that come with it suck. Depending on how long Toyota has them sitting around before building your truck, shipping it, and actually selling it to you, the tires can develop dry rot. Maybe it has nothing to do with time, and the tires just suck... I don't know. Just take a close look at them.

Also, I hope you want the Tacoma for more than gas milage. If not, you may be very dissappointed. The reality is that the V6 Tacoma will only get about 2 MPG better than the Tundra. It is better, but to me it wouldn't be worth giving up the extra space, power, and towing capacity of the Tundra. The Tacoma's resale value is better than the Tundra though, so you can gain mor ein the back-end.

18. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
  19. Apr 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM
    tacoma.nut

tacoma.nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beeb
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRDsport,LB,4by4
    OK. My thoughts for what there worth. I have always had Tundras since they became available. Prior to that, Hilux's. I was forced to downgrade to a Tacoma due to a injury. I researched and researched. The used are almost as much as new. But u will save some loot. I found 3, 2011, TRD's within a 20 mile radius. All at 31,999. One had 15k, one had 10k and one had 4k. Two of them directly across the street from each other. The silver was marked down to 29,999, (10k) I called the sales guy about the 15K TRD. He agreed, over the phone to sell for 29,500.00. On my way I stopped to drive the white one (4k) and told them about the one across the street for 29,999 and the 29,500 as well. They matched the one for 29,999. I said, whats the point? As I got in my Tundra to go buy the 15K mile one, the sales folk followed me and as I got in my truck, asked what would it take for me to buy. I said match the 29,500 and u got a deal. They said, but it has 15k and this one has 4K. I gave them my cell # and told them if they changed their minds before I got to the other dealer ( 10 miles away) Please call. Needless to say, They sold me a low mileage, (4k) DC, LB for 29,500. Auto. It is pretty loaded. MSRP was 34.5 k. I live north of Seattle and trucks are expensive and most are 4by,s. My advice. Negotiate. They pay at most, 21k when they are traded in (newer ones). So there is alot of room to negotiate. Next, I may just try another state where Toyota's are more reasonable. I love how it drives, how it handles and how it takes logging roads. When I buy my 2nd Tacoma, it will be a brand new. It sounds like u really want a new one. Buy one, but negotiate and u must be willing to walk away and let them know it. Good Luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top