1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Know Septic Systems?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeremy_283, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I just bought a house mid summer and I have been doing standard maintenance. I recently decided to get the septic pumped and I called up the old homeowners to find out where the tank is located and they gave me an approximate location. They also said the whole time they lived here they never got the tank pumped but they put septic treatment stuff in their drains. When I was digging up the yard I hit a power wire (pictured below) I continued my dig and later realized the wires had been cut and tapped off. I am actually not sure if this is an aerator or not. I just need someone to chime in. I dont think the old homeowners knew cause they had the septic tank breaker switched to on (which could increase their electric bill, right?) The first tank in line from the house also has solids nearly all the way up to the lid in it with the outside edge being clear (i'm assuming this allowed fluids to flow). The only thing I noticed this summer was a light septic smell outside the house on occasion (gone now). I am not sure if it was my system or a neighbors cause my yard looks perfectly fine with no issues. I also do not know if the second tank has a lid or not. I stopped digging for the night. Someone please chime in and help! Thanks!
    d66b5b76_87fb7b5ee7ecd48bd6dc90f2eac48842af676987.jpg
    f44f27ac_5d7ac2654c1bbb1c9f28654905a284af2f170371.jpg
    c0c66cda_d0b0aaa2597392334cd7ebe9cb331fe6b83df47b.jpg

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    Probably a good move on getting it pumped. Septic systems work terrifically when maintained properly.

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    myfirst06taco

myfirst06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Clarke county ,VA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4
    5100's eibach coils , Allpro leaf pack , roll up tonneau cover with led bed lights, hids, homertaco grill
    Your house must be fairly new , you shouldn't go more than 5years between pumping. 2nd most states require septic pumping before you go to settlement on your house. Good luck

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Well, should I just get that first tank pumped and cover it up for a few years till it gives me problems or until I become wealthier?

5. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Why you say fairly new?

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    turd runs downhill

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You must live in a valley.

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    saaavage

saaavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab
    K&N air filter Weathertech floor mats to be continued...
    1- when you say cut and tapped off you mean with wire nuts? And this was ina addition to you finding the cut wire on your own?

2- If the breaker is set to on, and the ends of the wires have a nut on them that seems odd...in order to tie the nuts on there or otherwise discontinue power to the source the breaker would need to be off to do safely- then why did they turn breaker back on?

3- I am not a plumber but know enough- depending on how much it is I would STRONGLY suggest that you get that thing pumped...there are few things more repulsive than showing up to a sump that has been left too long or doesnt work etc...

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    saaavage

saaavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport QuadCab
    K&N air filter Weathertech floor mats to be continued...
    did you state require you to call ms utility before any shovels go in the ground? or only when using a mini ex or something larger?

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Do you know if it is a gravity field ?

Your second tank could be a pump chamber and the power line ( although it doesn't look like NMWU cable ) is to provide power to the pump .

11. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The only wire there is-is electrical taped off. I called dig rite before I dug and there is nothing marked even close to there.

Everything has been functioning fine tho except for that light septic smell outside that only came on occasion. This is downhill from my house as well.

12. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also note the same typed of tape (electrical tape) used on the power wires is also used to further tape the PVC end cap on that's covering the exposed tube.

13. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The second tank didn't appear to have a lid either but I also didn't completely uncover all of it.

14. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    closest thing I can find that explains what system I have is this Septic Solutions - Installation

"low-pressure dose system"

except I already have a slight incline so this system isn't necessarily needed

15. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    actually i live on a hill

16. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    I am mostly of no use here but idk what the codes are in your area but our septic tanks (we have 3 of them) have to have the lids above the ground more than 6". We had to re-run the power line out to ours a few years ago because the old one shorted out somewhere (cheap ass construction company didn't put conduit underground when they ran the wire) and the zoning guy that came out to mark off where the wires were said we had to raise one of our lids.

17. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    on my tank the lid is the TOP of the septic tank, lol

18. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So you have two seperate tanks yes ? Your link shows a 2 chambered single tank

19. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Make sure you check if those wires are hot. What is the awg size?

20. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The picture looks like 14/2 no ?

Products Discussed in

To Top