1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help deciding on subs

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dwsalley95, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    NOCENTS

NOCENTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC needin some lovin
    loooooong list of mods coming as soon as I finish the audio/video system
    This is what I got done so far, still need to pull the trigger on the subs. Cash is the number 1 concern then picking between a few options. Seems I always want what I cant fit(JL 10w3v3) but those are a little to deep and a way more cash then I have, let alone I will want a bigger amp to push the 10w3's

photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    photo 5.jpg

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Why waste money on JL subs? Much better out there for cheaper

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Generally, this is accurate, based on each individuals personal views on value. Especially with their non-proprietary technology subs, like the W3.

But then, some people like getting what works, is easy to find, and holds a resell value to the general public.

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    I am open to suggestion......... But would prefer to use the box I just finished. So I'm looking at about 5 1/2 mounting depth and ,65 per sub for air space. So would love to hear cheaper options!!!! I listen to just about everything, no classical or jazz. Mostly hip hop, 80's and rap. Looking for more SPL then SQ but a mix of both would be great. And am using the TA-5601 that pushes 300 watts @ 4 and 600@ 2 ohms mono.

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Cinco

Cinco Team no taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Rio Rancho,NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Civic Ex Coupe
    That looks great!

I reccomend these

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33494_Kenwood-eXcelon-XR-W10F.html

If you can get over the fact that they are Kenwood then you will be happy with them. At 109 a pop they cant be beat. Me saying that means alot. I run one and love it. Look in my build in my sig for pics.

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    You like those kenwood over the 10W1? I can get the 10w1 for 90.00 from an authorized dealer here in town. I will check out your build and those subs also!!!

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    06SR5canada

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    Take a look at sundown sd-2 10 inch 4.75 mounting depth but are rated at 500 rms each and can defiantly take more no problem, so your amp might be a little weak but these subs are absolute tanks and only 150 each

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    I actually was checkin out your other posts 06SR5 :spy: and saw the sundowns. Those are more then I want to spend and really dont want to have to get a new amp/ or be under powered. Anything else???? For that much I would rather do the 13TW5 and try to hit some lower notes. Any one see the new TW3??? I was also looking at the Memphis 15-PR10S4 or the Alpine Type S SWS-1023D.

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Cinco

Cinco Team no taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Rio Rancho,NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Civic Ex Coupe
    All day everyday.

The price in the link is a crazy price infact thats cheaper then dealer cost. I dont know how sonicelecronix does it. MSRP is 239 IIRC. These are great subs and alot of builders use them in high end builds. For the price they cannot be beat.

10. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    Cinco

Cinco Team no taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Rio Rancho,NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Civic Ex Coupe
    I'm telling you..

You wont be let down by the kenwoods

11. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    06SR5canada

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    What exactly makes you think a tw5 will hit lower notes than the sd2? When will you ppl realize there's better equipment for the money than JL they are very easy to beat. Once someone shows me a better price to performance product than sundown I will start recommending them. There's more to car audio than what best buy sells and claims to be bomb

12. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    I would rather do other subs then JL, that is why I kinda stole this post. Sorry OP. Unfortunately I am trying to stay in lower then the 90.00 JL price I have already found. I am just going by the spec I see that the TW5 shows 27 hz and sd2 is 38. I like big low bass. Sorry SQ guys I'm pretty much a bass head but am hoping to get more SQ then just muddy noise also. I have called and visited many shops in several states and not sure why but they ALL push the JL sub. The SD2 looks like it has a lot of excursion also. Didn't see what their air space requirement is ????

13. Feb 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    06SR5canada

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    i think you were looking at the fs of the sd2 and not its frequency response, after all these are quite similar to the sa line which are beasts. I have mine in .75 with polyfill, (each) but im still hooking everything up so i havent heard it yet.....gotta get it all done today and its only +1C

14. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    dwsalley95

dwsalley95 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Columbia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SPORT
    Just got my package in the mail yesterday and I am getting the headunit friday. Getting everything installed and tuned next Wednesday will upload pictures!

15. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........
    Check out Diamond audio. I have a DBL cab as well, they'll fit into a thin profile box...and IMO good bang for the buck. Running of a 600w monoblock amp wired series/ parallel.

16. Feb 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    Which DA subs are you running?

17. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you like big, low bass you are not gonna be happy... its a Tacoma. I have 500W to 2 sealed IDQ 10" subs. Its low, sure but not loud enough to really hear outside the truck. Then again my last system had 2 15" subs and you could hear the damned truck coming from a quarter mile away LOL. I guess its all perspective.

And to the guy who said he wanted 2 10" subs because it would be louder than a ported 10"... a ported 10 is just as loud as 2 sealed 10" subs.

IDK, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with JL 13TW5 subs or just some 10w3v3 subs and more power. Possibly a single ported 12" and make the sub enclosure not allow the rear seat to fold to get more airspace. There is no question that you CAN fit 10W3 subs... its just a matter of whether yo uwant the rear seats to fold or not.

Finally, to the guy who wonders why we bring up JL.. why do we keep reccomending JL audio around here? Because they have items that fit the needs and applications for our particular truck and work well. We are not internet sub snobs that think they are cool because of an alternative sub choice we read about online.

I mean... I got IDQ sound quality subs and the damned company proceeds to immediately go under... I dont see JL audio going under anytime soon.

I think 600W mono sub for "big bass" is the MINIMUM due to the airspace limits of our truck. Go for maximum cone area and maximum power... that is always a safe route for "big bass" performance.

18. Feb 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    NOCENTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arm pit of Cali
    Vehicle:
    Thanks DevL,
    unfortunately I do want loud low bass and, yea I can already tell I am not going to get it in my tacoma, at least not with 2 tens and 600 watts. guess I will go see what I can do and start saving and be on the look out for a good deal for a bigger D class amp. Wait an amp with more power, my amp already limited my options for how big of a box I could squeeze in back there. So I will look for a smaller 1000 or so and then maybe look into a TW5 or the T3 when they come out. All this procrastinating and and back and forth is driving me nuts!!!! If I dont like'em i will use for a while and sell them to some one who will and at least have more bass then my 6 1/2 seperates put out!!!!!

19. Feb 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........
    D110D4.2 10" D1's..They are Diamond's low/ middle end sub, but a pair wired correctly with the right amp hits like hell. I get the " punchy " bass 10" speakers are known for and some nice low, deep bass rolls too. Dubstep sounds boss !!!

20. Jun 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    2 Rockoford Fosgate T1's guy hella loud great bass !

Products Discussed in

To Top