1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slipping on icy/snow roads

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rick2007Tacoma, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Feb 4, 2007 at 4:02 PM
    Rick2007Tacoma

Rick2007Tacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I just purchased a new 2007 Tacoma Access cab Prerunner 4cyl manual with stock tires. We just had a wet icy/snow type night and I needed to drive to work. I found myself fish-tailing when accelerating as well as stopping. I returned home and borrowed my sons 2001 Tacoma Prerunner automatic trans with new Michelin tires. His truck drove without a problem. I’m not sure why the 07 wouldn’t drive as well. I like to here some opinions on this and ideas to correct this.

2. Feb 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM
    yotaman502

yotaman502 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New bern, NC
    Get better tires. If you have the crappy Dunlopes on now then replace them with some A/T tires like Bridgestone or Yokohamas.

3. Feb 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    Sorry to ask this question but were you on 4th gear when you do this. the reason i asked is i use the lower gears to drive on slippery roads. living in fla when it rains it pours and those oil slick roads i don't know how it compares to icy roads but it helps me out when i use low gears to drive through it. hope this helps

4. Feb 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM
    Rick2007Tacoma

Rick2007Tacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Actually it happened under several conditions. 1) From a dead stop if I wasn’t careful, 2) while in second or third gear and when I gave it some gas, and even when breaking. I lost a little confidence in handling when I drove it. I do have the Dunlap tires, which don’t look all that bad. I do remember when we drove my sons 2001 Prerunner with the stock tires, it was very bouncy. If you hit a bump, no telling where you would land. We now have Michelin tires on his truck and it handles excellent. I would hate to have to spend $800 on a new set of tires without these wearing out first.

5. Feb 6, 2007 at 2:36 PM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    As mentioned, tires have to do a lot with how a 4x2 truck does in snow. And they're worth the money too.

6. Feb 6, 2007 at 2:45 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    quick answer get a 4x4 just kidding take a look at this it might help they sell it in the tacoma part store at the top of the page
    http://www.shurtrax.com/index.asp

7. Feb 7, 2007 at 6:10 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
  8. Feb 7, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I too have a 4cyl Manual PreRunner. I have less than 4000 miles on my Dunlop's. Unfortunately I also have the "Extended Tire Life" Program, which means that I have "free" tires for every tire under 100,000 miles on my truck.

I just got back from a trip to Lubbock, TX a few days ago. I had put 200 lbs of sand bags in a 2x4 box right between the wheel wells. I had the same problem - fishy rear-end even with the weight. I have never had that problem with any other truck I have owned except for an IH Scout that had mudders on it in Colorado snow.

I plan on getting some Firestone Destination A/T's. I had these on my Suburban, and they were unstoppable. Plus, they gave me a quiet ride and many, many miles! The "Extended Tire Life" program may make this difficult. I need to see if these are considered direct OEM optional tires, and if the dealership carries them.

Good luck to you, but my 2 cents - get better tires! The Dunlops stink in the snow/ice.

9. Feb 7, 2007 at 6:30 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
  10. Feb 7, 2007 at 6:32 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Sure the Taco comes with crappy tires ideal for dry conditions. I experience the same but have learned to live with it. How you may ask? Ease off on the accelerator. Anytime YOU make your wheels spin, your truck will fish tail. Investing in better tires is a way out but not necessary if you are a smart driver. I drive on very icy conditions on a daily basis on stock tires with very little or no problems. Ease off on the gas pedal and/or brakes and give it a try. You’ll be surprised.

11. Feb 7, 2007 at 6:42 AM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree 100% with the above. The truck does not drive itself.

12. Feb 7, 2007 at 7:43 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Agreed, but I am not the only one that drives my truck. I have a wife that has little experience with Rear-Wheel-Drive vehicles and even less with empty bed trucks.
    :(
    I didn't have a problem with my truck in Lubbock. It did fishtail a bit, but nothing out of control. I am more worried about her getting into it and becoming uncomfortable with a wet snow, slosh, or ice. Then she could get into some real trouble. There is a reason I got her a 4WD Rav4. ;)

13. Feb 7, 2007 at 7:52 AM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Since we're talking about driving styles anyway...

a truck on 4x2 fish-tails when the wheels are turned. So, as soon as you get to the APEX, shoot for the outside of the turn, which would straighten out the front wheels faster. This minimizes fish-tailing. This also gives you faster exit speed 'cause you get on the gas quicker.

14. Feb 7, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    You got it, Dale Earnhart! ;)

Products Discussed in