1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery Cracked on the Side !!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coqui, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Predator Nerf Bars, Anchored OEM Bed Mat, Secured Tail Gate, Scan Gauge II, Weathertech Digital Fit Grey Mats, Brinks Cable Lock on Spare Tire, TRD Leather Shift Knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, FJ TRD Centercap Mod for TRD OR Wheels, N-Fab LB, PIAA 520, BSP Grille, Flyzeye Designs V2W G/W/G LED
    Well, yesterday when I was installing my PIAA's lights ran into this - Cracked Battery on the Side:

[​IMG]

Does not look good. This is the OEM battery, and the metal bracket over the top appears has crushed the battery over time causing it to start leaking acid recently. I should have paid closer attention - :frusty:

Normally you would see this type of problem around the terminals, but this very fist time I have seen this issue on any of my previous car batteries.

I mounted the battery back and was careful not to tighten the bracket rods too much. You can still see that the edge of the battery is curved due to the compression of the bracket overtime.

[​IMG]

My scangauge displays between 13.4 and 13.8 depending what is turned On. I do not have a sound system or additional accessories. However, I am afraid the battery will suddenly fail very soon.

A few questions:

Anyone experienced this issue? Will the dealer replace this battery after 40 months on my 09 Tacoma or should I chunk $$ on a new one.

I have the towing package which includes the Heavy Duty Battery with the 130A alternator. Which aftermarket battery would any of you recommend to substitue this cracked battery?

2. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Get that out asap. How many miles on your truck?

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I think it's a 720 amp rated Battery. Replace with same or higher
    It's pro rated so by the time all the hassle is done you won't get much if anything. I have seen this happen before. VERY RARE. But it does need to be replaced asap.

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    rngrchad

rngrchad Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha

Member:
    The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst Am
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail TRD
    Rockwell 30 ton axles.
    My battery did the exact same thing but worse. I rePlaced it with dual group 24's. That oem Yota battery is an excellent battery though. I ran mine for over a year with it leaking battery acid....lol.

5. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Predator Nerf Bars, Anchored OEM Bed Mat, Secured Tail Gate, Scan Gauge II, Weathertech Digital Fit Grey Mats, Brinks Cable Lock on Spare Tire, TRD Leather Shift Knob, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, FJ TRD Centercap Mod for TRD OR Wheels, N-Fab LB, PIAA 520, BSP Grille, Flyzeye Designs V2W G/W/G LED

6. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Should be warranty if 09 or newer.....

7. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Will call local dealer tomorrow and check on the warranty. This really should not be happening.

8. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    Yeah batteries are supposed to be 5yr. What year is yours?

9. Feb 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Original battery, truck purchased Oct 2008.

10. Feb 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    Hmmm might be out of warranty then, i would take it and see if they will replace it. If not, they might pro-rate it at 50% or something and save you some money, but you will need to buy a toyota battery.

11. Feb 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    IMHO, the OEM batteries are crap and you don't want another one anyway.

The one in my 06 was leaking from the positive terminal at 5 years and 50K. The one in my 09 was leaking at the same spot at 2 years old and 40K. The 09 is a company owned truck and the boss does not believe in preventative maintenance. By the time I changed it out, the acid had eaten away the tin (?) plating on the cable clamps and they were bare copper. I replaced both batteries with NAPA Legend series and cleaned and sealed the terminals after I was done. No more issues.

12. Feb 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    it happens..Change it before the battery completely blows up.

13. Feb 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Get an AGM battery, mine the top plate holder is terrible for the battery.

14. Feb 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    you should be covered under warranty unless those stealership pull a loop hole on you.

15. Feb 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    3 years 36,000 miles

16. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    rngrchad

rngrchad Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha

Member:
    The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst Am
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail TRD
    Rockwell 30 ton axles.
    I don't care what any of you say about the OEM group 27f batt; the thing is stout and handles severe discharges and recharges extremely well. I ran mine to the absolute extreme voltage discharges over and over again and I couldn't kill it! I dropped it below 11.6 volts hundreds if not thousands of times....I've never been so impressed by a battery.

OPTIMAS suck. Ask those who know...
    Audio spl guys and heavy hitter keydown radio transmission boys...

17. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    Coqui

Coqui [OP] Active Member

Member:
    60% EST // 40% CST
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I hear 'ya, agree on the battery performance. Mine showed Green in the battery charge indicator window even as it was leaking acid on the side.

Acid leaking is asking for trouble and will damage components in the compartment, stip paint, etc.

My opinion of the root cause of the problem as to why the battery cracked on the side is not that the battery is of bad quality, but how tight from the factory the bracket was, that led to the problem.

I got a Duralast Gold 27F today at Autozone - it was a good deal for $98.00, 3/36k replacement warranty with 8yr standard battery warranty. A guy in the store help swap the batteries, and told him to be easy on tightening the bracket, dont need a Herculean Torque!!

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top