1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma vs Colorado. What items are better on either truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mudrider300wsm, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    EPD

EPD Active Member

Member:
    None Yet...
    Seriously I think you should pose this question over in gminsidenews.com Those people over there think that no GM can do wrong. It would be interesting to see what they say. Besides the every other post about buy american.

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    The Colorado doesn't seem to have frame rust issues from what I've seen. That's a
    one-up on the Tacoma

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    if you want a truck to stay in the shop for months on end for different repairs...get a Canyon/Colorado. i had an 06, 25 months, 27k miles...in the shop over 6 months for engine repair, recalls, rattles, misfire codes, transmission (manual, dropped 3rd gear syncro from WRONG fluid in the trans from factory)....door panels that rip your arms open like sandpaper, crap plastic interior and metal thats thinner then paper. it was a NGIHTMARE....got my Taco after 2 years of an used Isuzus (that were better at 150k then my new Colorado...) as i needed something to travel to NC twice a year. 2010 Taco has 26k and only issue was the blower motor chirp...thats it!! better then stated MPG. get 22 around town, 26 mixed, 32 highway. LOVE THE TACO!!!!!!!! only thing i would change is the rear axle gearing on the 2wd 5 lugger. think its 3.09s, needs 3.42s (or higher numerically) and better 5th gear gearing to compensate. even the stock tires grip better then the Colorados, even their Xtreme RSA tires Really Suck A$$....terrible. The Colorado got great mpg and crewcab 2wd 4 banger was a nice option, NO LONGER available...just VERY unreliable truck, out of the box. the day i got it, i pulled the hood release handle so the salesman could show me the engine....it came off in my hand....should have known then....and the salesman tried screwing me out of a 1500 rebate when i ordered it. Toyota salesman let the truck sell itself....and it did.

4. Feb 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    lowzone

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    HA! Taco was built in the US with Delphi electronics under the dash (kinda made me nervous seeing that). more US content then most Dodge and GM products. Engines in the Chevrolet Equinox sport utility vehicle are from China.....trans from Canada...etc.. NOTHING is pure American made and even the Big 3 outsource jobs 2 times as much as US built foreign car manufacturers. :confused: go figure a company like Hyundai uses more US manufactures, parts and employs US auto workers then GM PER car produced.

read this, its interesting and takes that WHOLE BUY AMERICAN line right out of your mind....and Toyota Camrys are over 80% from US manufacturers.....

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-12-12/...ign-brands-dutch-mandel-american-car?_s=PM:US

yeah just the driveshaft on my 06 CANYON came pre rusted. NO PAINT on the driveline, axle or anything other then the frame. Even the motor came with rust on it. the under carriage protection option was 800.00 more. I will never buy another GM product ever again after how they handled my warranty claims. my seat track wouldnt release. they took a packaged tie down i had under the seat and blamed that...it never had any marks from getting caught...this was after the woman ran my VIN and saw all the issues the truck had and that i had a pending lawsuit with GM for rental reimbursement and lose of time with the truck (3 months in the shop). her attitude changed from "HI welcome to Mahwah GMC" to "oh this caused it, and this and these aren't stock rims (had Xtreme OEM ones on it), that caused it too"....yet nothing was caught or showed to be stuck in the track. it was stuck in the forward most position which i find out later was an ISSUE....so dealerships suck too....stay away from GM.

5. Feb 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    It comes with a 5 cylinder that has the power of a i4 and the mpg's of a v6 :rolleyes:

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    There are some pluses to the Chevy. It's MUCH easier to get power out of the moter due to the ability to tune them. You can get a tune from SCT and put down 215hp to the wheels with the i5. You can change shift points, and even up the pressure for quicker and harder shifts.

This is not exact, but a pretty good representation of the 5.3L Colorado's potential. Depending on the order these go on or the specs of the mod, it is going to create some different results, but this is a good general direction to go for mods on these trucks. And yes a Tune is absolutely a must for these trucks and should be the first mod.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Stock 5.3L Colorado----------------low 15's
    Tuned-----------------------------mid 14's
    Exhaust, CAI-----------------------low 14's
    Headers, Gears---------------------upper 13's
    Stall converter, decent camshaft----low 13's
    Serious cam, intake manifold, heads-mid 12's

I drive a Tacoma and OVERALL I think it is the better truck. But, it would be nice to be able to get a tuner that doesn't cost $1000 + and haveing to hack up your ecm harness. I don't think any Tacoma owner can argue that it wouldn't be sweet to hook up a tuner to your ob2 port and get an extra 10 horse.

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    My last vehicle was a Chevy. I will never own another Chevrolet product again. Something about visiting the dealer 10 times within 3 years of owning a brand new Chevy that makes me wanna stay away.

8. Feb 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Colorado is a nice looking truck. But go drive one, then drive the Taco. You'll be sold after that on the Taco.

9. Feb 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    I think some of the colorado's are good looking trucks, mostly the extended cabs with color matched wheel flairs, but either way, my dad has a colorado and when I go visit and park in the driveway, my truck looks way nicer.

My old Triumph Speed Four used to do the same thing 10 years ago parked next to his sportster. haha

10. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    Tac 2009

Tac 2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 09 SR5
    I honestly believe that Chevy makes a Slick Boxchevy pick up.... or at least they used to.

The Colorado anyway... is not one of them.

why are you even comparing it to a tacoma? it might be the same segment of cars but take a good look at the prices on a used for both and that should be your answer.

11. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    DeanoCA

DeanoCA Dean

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wheatland CA
    Vehicle:
    11, Tacoma, Sport, DDL Cab, Long Bed
    Nurf Bars 1.5 Lift (Front), EOF Replacement Air Filter, Leer Shell, Tailget Lock, Okole Front Seat Covers, Air Bags
    I read an article stating the Colorado may get a diesel motor.... still it's a GM and they owe us big time..... still. Pricks

12. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    lowzone

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:

and people said it was ME!!! At least im not alone here with major time in the shop with the Colorado. i swear i'll never buy another new GM product again, after the way i was treated. what a shock, im upset that the 20k i just spent is always in the shop getting fixed. 27k miles and 2 heads, trans burned up (wrong fluid weight from the factory).....the list goes on and on and on. my Taco, blower fan chirp....26k miles so far and love the truck!!!

it is or was an Isuzu diesel, like the Duramax here in the Silverados, there is a 4JJ1-T in the DMax (colorado) all over the world and probably the best diesel motor...shame its wasted in a Colorado

13. Feb 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Colorado has the bed lights on the third brake light. Only thing I can think of.

BTW, my wife just traded her 2010 Equinox in for a 2012 because it was burning 1qt of oil every 1,000 miles. I am stuck wondering if the new one is going to burn oil eventually too. Tried to get her in a 4Runner.

14. Feb 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    One of my customers has a pretty cool Canyon as his crawler. This is in no way related but though I'd share. This was mid build. It wasn't quite done in this pic.
    15zf3pe_1286650d6084ff50a84dece5e1cee6fd2ca73dc7.gif

15. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Dromlace

Dromlace Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    i hope that's a v8..

16. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Why? 4cyl does just fine.

Also, rockjock 60 axles? 42" Pitbull rockers? Appears to be 12" CO's too.. Kinda a waste, unless it's just for show.. That guy has some $

17. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    snow dude

snow dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darius
    Brush prairie
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma SR5
    undercover canopy, K&N intake, 1.5in aal, 1in diff drop doug thorley headers, total chaos upper control arms, debadged, fog lights, Nokya Arctic Yellow fogs, 25% tint, isimple aux, kings remote reservoir,
    my dad had a Colorado and tranny went out at 70k

18. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    yes, but it is it dependable power..no
    GM = FAIL, POS, crap = etc.

Colorado boys drool over my Taco..LOL

19. Feb 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    The 5.3 is a solid moter, it's been around for a long time and has a large aftermarket. Plus you don't have to break the bank to mod or tune it.

I would love a V8 in my Taco, the 5.3 give respectable power and does pretty well on fuel.

Now the rest of the Colorado does nothing for me.

20. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    considered this truck before buying the tacoma.
    What I liked: small size and fit four adults.
    Rear facing car seat fit behind driver without comprimising the driver position.
    I5 was smooth but V8 option available!
    Looks.
    What I didnt like:
    5.9% interest rate
    Torsion bar suspension

Honestly the interior wasnt that bad. Quality would have only been proven in time I guess.

Tacoma doesnt drive any better. Its a tank. Huge and V6 is underpowered for this size of truck. Its also expensive as hell. And doesnt get V6 mileage. Had some issues with the blower motor and front diff bearing, not to mention parts missing upon delivery.

No manufacturer is perfect. If I had to do it again I would have bought used and probably a full size if I knew the mileage would be this bad.

However the overall quality is better than trucks i am used to.

Products Discussed in

To Top