1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS troubles sort of

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Backmarker, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Backmarker

Backmarker [OP] Tinkerer

Member:
    Greenwood, California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4-cyl w/shell
    Big O Tires 265/70/16
    I just purchased new rims to replace the 16" steel wheels that came on my 09 Tacoma 4x4 AC. I went with these:

Vtec Raptor.jpg
    I ordered them online from DiscountTireDirect.com.

When I went to have my tires put on the new rim, the stock TPMS sensors would not work. The seal at the valve stem would not flush out therefore the tire would not hold air.

I called DiscountTireDirect and told them about my TPMS problem. The advisor asked me if anyone had called me after I placed my order asking me about the TPMS. I said no, because no one had. He said he would comp me a full bracket style TPMS system to go with the new rims because of their mistake. Outstanding customer service, they rock.

Now to the point of my thread. As I was speaking to the unnamed tire guy, he said in the past, when he has run into this problem on other vehicles, as well as Tacomas, he has pulled the valve stem internals from the stock Tacoma TPMS sensors, taped each sensor, sans valve stem internals, to the inside of the rim, then ran regular valves on the rim itself.

The unnamed tire guy said that it works just as well as having the sensor in the stock position because it senses air pressure only regardless of its position.

I told him that I would wait for the new sensors to arrive, thank you anyways, but I thought I would pass along this info incase someone runs into this issue like I had, and cannot get ahold of new TPMS sensors.

***No idea if it would actually work like he said it will, havent tried it, but this is for information only. ***

Thoughts?

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There are companies that make steel straps to strap the sensor to the inside of the rim like you said. I wouldn't simply tape it in because it if comes loose it'll get destroyed in the tire and probably make a hell of a racket when it does.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  4. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the TPMs straps, Discount tire installed them for me. No issues after 40K miles and multiple dismounts of individual tires.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Skadumz

Skadumz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma dual cab, long bed, 4x4, TRD Spor
    3" lift 265/70/17 nitto, Grille Craft Grille, Tinted windows, 17x9 Moto Metals Matte Black, Carrier barring drop
    When i was shooping for Wheels I found out that most all new wheels made come with the new angles due to many wheels coming with the system from factory. Only if you are taking the TPSM from an alloy to an alloy or a steel to a steel. But the dealer spoke of the strap and he said they use them alot with no issues. But there are many different options and to buy new ones at the right angle just arent worth it.

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Backmarker

Backmarker [OP] Tinkerer

Member:
    Greenwood, California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4-cyl w/shell
    Big O Tires 265/70/16
    I just have to be patient, again, and wait for the new sensors to come in. I have a lift waiting to be put on but I wanted to get the new rims on first. Thanks for all of the info.

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Backmarker

Backmarker [OP] Tinkerer

Member:
    Greenwood, California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4-cyl w/shell
    Big O Tires 265/70/16
    Got my TPMS straps in the mail today, going to try again to get the wheels put on tommorow.

8. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Backmarker

Backmarker [OP] Tinkerer

Member:
    Greenwood, California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4-cyl w/shell
    Big O Tires 265/70/16
    Here are some before and after pics..

Before:
    IMAG0243.jpg

After:
    IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg

And all did not go well with the installation. The TPMS straps that DiscountTireDirect.com sent me did not work with the stock TPMS sensors from the steel wheels.

I called my local Toyota dealer for info. What they said was the steel rims use a sensor that has a 20 degree angled valvestem, and the alloy sensors have a 40 degree angled valvestem. The cost? $116 per sensor.

So I called Americas Tire store and they had TPMS sensors. I drove there, 35 minutes one way, and had them test fit the sensors in my new wheels. They fit and were $60.00 per wheel. So I sucked it up and bought them. 1/2 the cost of Toyota sensors.

I went back to my local tire place, again, 35 minutes one way, and had them install the tires on my new rims.

All is well? Nope, they could not reset the TPMS monitor in the truck, it had to be done through the OBD plug, which they did not have.

SOOOO, 35 minutes back to Americas Tire and they reset them for free.

My 8am tire appointment was completed at 1:30pm. Long day but I love my new rims. This week, the lift install.... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top