1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

accelerator pedal RECALL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DOUBLLD, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    so i just got a recall notice in the mail 2day has anyone had this done yet?? i use to work for toyota lexus scion ive done alot of the recalls, but just got the truck a few months back so havnt done it 2 my truck yet because i work for honda now.

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    Had 09 mine done a few months ago they put in a new pedal that's shorter and reflashed ecu

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Ignore it. It's all due to retarded Prius drivers who get their Coach loafers or their high heels caught up in their floormats and want to blame Toyota.

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    My pedal was chopped when I bought my truck. Looks stupid. Also had Toyota totally mess up the pedal in my Corolla for a recall...without my permission.

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    Jib Bandits

Jib Bandits Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    Red devil horn emblem, All-Pro Expo leafs, Fox shocks, K&N CAI, aFe throttle body spacer, Flowmaster american thunder dual exhuast, Defender roof rack, Hell Bent steel level kit, Rigid Dually LED lights, smoked halo headlights, smoked LED taillights, Cobra CB, red badge mod(+30 HP), Spider-Trax wheel spacers!
    Pretend you never saw it, then, when you get in an accident just say "My accelerator got stuck and there was nothing I could do!" = toyota covers accident cost :D

6. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    I know what the recall entails just wanted to see if anyone had it done. I just want the new all weather mats they replace the old ones with lol!! :thumbsup:

7. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I had mine done. Honestly, if they had done it without asking, I doubt I would have noticed. I drive barefoot frequently, I thought that might be a problem with the pedal being shaved down, but can't tell without actually looking down there.

I had stock TRD carpeted mats in mine. No changes there, so can't comment.

8. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Toyota asked if I wanted them to butcher my pedal last time I was in there, told them to leave it alone.

9. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This

Can't tell the pedal is chopped , no big deal

10. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I've driven a "recalled" Tacoma for six years without problems.

When I got the first notice a few years ago I went out and looked carefully at the gas pedal. The pedal on my 2006 is well over two inches from the floor mat, which isn't even actually under it but an inch or two to the side.

The only way I can see that I'd ever get a pedal stuck on my truck is if I stacked up about five oversize rubber mats and then let them slide all over the place.

Even if I did, unlike some of these idiots who have made headlines screaming that their "death trap" Toyota's accelerated out of control, I know how to shift a transmission into neutral and apply an emergency brake.

Also, I'm not sure that I want my engine cutting out if I press the accelerator and the brake at the same time. There are even some times when stopped on steep hills that I need to be able to do this.

But, by all means, never modify your vehicle in any way from stock, always take your vehicle to an official dealership for the recommended servicing and for any and all repairs and never ignore a manufacturer's recall, whether you need it or not.

11. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    The June 2011 issue of Car and Drive had an article about the NHTSA's study of reports that various Toyota and Lexus models were accelerating out of control. The DOT concluded that other than a few incidents caused by accelerators hanging up on incorrectly fitted flour mats most of the accidents were caused by drivers depressing their accelerator petal instead of the brake. This data came from the air bag's "black box". The DOT found nothing about the placement of Toyota accelerator and brake pedals that would cause misapplication or any problems with the "drive by wire" system. Driver error was the problem.

12. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM
    paul's08

paul's08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    I have not read about the engine cutting out. I read that the acceleration is interrupted when the brake is applied. I hope we do not hear about idiots screaming "my engine cut out".Has any body had thear engine cut out when breaking?

13. Feb 25, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    OMG, I just heard the news. Guys.....I don't know how to tell you this. But Michael Jackson died.

14. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    The NHTSB researched 55 Toyota incidents that were reported causing injury due to alleged accelerator sticking. In 52 of the 55 incidents the driver had their foot on the accelerator and the brake at the same time. One incident the operator had three floor mats stacked up and caught the accelerator, and two were unknown. The software change makes sense but the accelerator cutting and replacing floor mats is bean soup to make people feel warm and fuzzy. I told Toyota to leave mine alone, I will just use the gas or brake by themselves like I was taught when I was about 15 years old. FYI I had a relative that believed the entire media bunk and sold their 3 month old Camry because they did not feel "safe". Perception is greater than reality.

15. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Bahahaha I was trying to figure out if there was some new recall I needed to worry about. I remember the salesman at the Honda dealership when I was truck shopping talking smack about Toyota's safety issues. So I said, "Well, first I drove in here in a Corolla and I love my Toyota and am happy with their safety record. Second, in case you hadn't been watching the news, the NHTSB found it was operator error, not a safety issue." He tried to tell me Toyotas were good vehicles. I just raised my eyebrows and wrinkled my nose at him.

And that's when he realized he'd probably lost the sale. :D

16. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    DC Taco

DC Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue TRD Sport
    None (yet), just bought it
    :goingcrazy:This is a prime example of how the media blows shit out of proportion......one idiot dies because they cant drive and now every Toyota car and truck is accelerating out of control. Why I cant watch the news. Throw that crap in the garbage

17. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    hotrod45

hotrod45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    sarasota fl
    Vehicle:
    16 sr 5 access cab
    99% of the time it's driver error. too many stupid people are allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle. just look out for them!

18. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmhpUjIlPY8

19. Feb 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If you have the gas pedal down more than 1/3 of the way to the floor and then hit the brake, the computer basically ignores the gas pedal signal and the truck starts to coast. Take your foot off the brake, all is normal. Again, if I wasn't trying to induce this, I would have never noticed. You have to be using both feet to work the gas and brake to make this happen.

20. Feb 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    The only reason I had mine done was for resale. Totally unnecessary. We have three 2nd gen Tacomas at work with probably 200K miles between the three of them. Not one of them has pulled a Prius driver type incident to date.

Products Discussed in

To Top