1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BedRug Install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chabro, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    chabro

chabro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 DC
    I've been looking at a solution for my bed for a while. I have used the back of my truck for hauling tools and dogs for years and that has slowed down (well the tools anyway). I wanted to do something to make the bed a little better looking and the dogs more comfortable. Came across the bedrug and really thought it looked good and was reasonably affordable.

I started looking for threads on it but didn't have much luck so I thought I would make one. Hope this helps someone...

The install only takes about an hour ONCE the bed is cleaned. Took me a couple of hours to clean the bed. I also took the time to sand any big scratches or gouges and spray some primer on them. This is what it looked like at the start.
    [​IMG]

Bought the BedRug as a refurb from BedRug on Ebay. Really nice people and good customer service. The box came and was really big but not too heavy.

I unpacked the box and let it sit out in the sun to flatten a bit.
    [​IMG]

By the time I finished cleaning the bed the rug was nice and flat and easy to assemble. Assembly is easy. Just take your time to zip the two pieces together. Be careful not to get the zipper jammed in the carpet and it will be a breeze. The instructions and markings on the backside of the rug are clear about where the velcro goes. Just put the strips (with the backing still on) on the marks and your good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I dropped the rug in, I unscrewed the tiedowns to get them out of the way for the install. There are slots cut in the rug for these but they aren't really sized perfect.

[​IMG]

Next I just picked up the whole assembled rug and dropped it in. Got pretty excited to see it in as it seemed to fit good. Once I was happy with the placement I just started pulling the velcro backing and adhering to bed. Started with the bottom and then to the sides and the back last. Go nice and slow because once the sticky part hits anything it is stuck!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about 15 minutes the bed was pretty much done with the tiedowns reinstated. I had to cut the rug a bit to accomodate them but no big deal.

Tailgate was simply a matter of velcroing down and your done. What a hug difference to the look and it is much quieter with the slider open. AND the dogs love it.

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    Looks great. I'm going to get one of these for my '09 once I get a cap on it. I've been wondering how hard they are to install. I think I'll save some money and do the install myself, it looks pretty easy.

3. Mar 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    chabro

chabro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 DC
    Really easy. If my truck had a new clean bed I could have done it even faster. Get one. You'll love it.

4. Mar 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Bre2tSco2t

Bre2tSco2t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Bedrug, Access Limited Tonneau, Tailgate Clamp, Manual Pop&Lock Keyed and Painted to Match, Westin 3" Nerf Bars, 20" Chrome Wheels.
    Great Job! Love all the pictures! Also very timely. I just got my 04 DC and I was looking at getting one of these after I get my tonneau cover.

5. Mar 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    looks good. i want to do that to my 08.i might take the road trip from jersey to miami.want to keep all my stuff nice and clean

6. Mar 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Very nice... now, how about a pic with the dogs in the back enjoying it?? :D

7. Mar 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    The Bedrugs is a nice product. :D For those that are not aware they also make a Bed mat version.

8. Mar 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    I installed the Bed mat version about two weeks ago - right After I got the Leer top on.
    For the mat I am not sure that install is the correct term as it lays right down and really does not need the velcro hold down - at least not yet.

I also got the tail gate mat as it feels so much on my old knees when I have to crawl in after something; BUT it does need some install attention, as the sides are not fastened velcro or otherwise and I needed to fasten them down with stainless screws and washers.

It must have taken Toyota a good long time to put together the brain trust required to design a bed thta has a coefficient of friction of wet ice and no way to tie down someting that is only half as high as the bed rail.

Willbeck likes this.
  9. Mar 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    Bre2tSco2t

Bre2tSco2t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Bedrug, Access Limited Tonneau, Tailgate Clamp, Manual Pop&Lock Keyed and Painted to Match, Westin 3" Nerf Bars, 20" Chrome Wheels.
    Forgot to ask this question, Since a couple of you have Caps, it may not matter. My 04 DC has the big drain holes with plugs in the bed. Again, I plan to use a Tonneau cover. Would you install the BedRug with or without the plugs in? If on the rare chance you have to wash out the bed with the hose, Would it help if the plugs were out? I know the BedRug doesn't absorb water, but does it get underneath? Thanks, :)

10. Mar 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    if you have the full rug that goes upides you will probably get minimum water; if you have the mat, as i do, you will absolutly get a bunch of water under the rug - best to take it out I would think.

If it were me I would leave the drain holes open and lay the rug over them.

Products Discussed in

To Top