1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volumized gas mileage trending

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by cvillechopper, Nov 19, 2007.

?

Think you'll contribute

1. Absolutely!

57.4%
  2. Eh... We'll see.

34.0%
  3. Probably not. Just not my thing.

8.5%
  1. Nov 19, 2007 at 11:06 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper [OP] Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I posted this in the wrong forum accidentally so here it is. Anyone want to tell me how to delete to other one?

I've mentioned that I'm a numbers junkie in another thread and that's no lie. It's an addiction really. After seeing the results of the Eco-VPE test that Mav and 007taco did I am really interested in taking these tests to a larger test group and expanding the data collected. Knowing that there are several of us that will end up buying the Eco device to try it out and that there are many more that won't spend the money, here's what I'd like to do if anyone is interested.

I've got a spreadsheet with all of the necessary data from Mav's test and will be getting the data from 007Taco's test in there shortly as well as starting to add my own. Using the theory of large numbers, the more data we get the better the information produced. To help you don't have to have the system (in fact, we'll need some that don't as a control group). Below is the list of data items I'm asking for. Simply send me periodic updates every tank or 2 with the info and I'll add it in. Then we can start to see the larger trends not only of the VPE, but of all sorts of mods.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone that helps out. I know this is not exact, but in real science you look for trends and that's what I'd like to do here. There are several variables but we have the chance to reduce their effect through volume.

Send data in any format you'd like but please include as much of this data as you can.

username
    truck year
    approximate miles on truck (i.e. 10K, 54K, 110K, etc)
    engine size
    cab
    configuration (TRD-off-road, Pre-Runner, etc)
    secondary air-filter removed (yes or no)
    Stock airfilter or aftermarket (include manufacturer if aftermarket)
    4x4 (yes or no)
    Transmission (i.e. 5-spd manual, 4-speed auto, etc)
    Eco VPE installed (yes or no)
    Stock exhaust or aftermarket (include manufacturer for aftermarket)
    Total miles for a given tank (tank 1 - 220.5 miles, tank 2 - 180 miles)
    Gallons at fill-up (tank 1 - 17 gallons, tank 2 - 14 gallons)
    Any accessories you have that may effect efficiency (i.e. roof rack, Running boards, bull bar, etc - please include manufacturer if possible)
    Towing/hauling for this tank (yes or no)
    Tire Size (265/70 R16, 31x10.50x15, etc)
    Octane Rating
    Date of fill-up

*Approximate average speed
    *% highway miles
    *Any assorted notes you care to include
    *Differential Gearing (if different from stock, I can look up stock info)

* = not necessary, but helpful

Fringe68 likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2007 at 6:44 AM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Two things I think you might want to include are differential gearing and tire size. My experience has been that all else being approximately equal, the gearing is the difference between my 19.6 mpg and a friend's 25mpg on the highway. City driving we're about equal at 18.

I just threw out all the data I had been keeping over the past two months. I'll start collecting again and join in the fun.

3. Nov 20, 2007 at 6:46 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Thanks. That's the kind of stuff I need. Help deciding what data to include. I'm editing the original post to include suggestions like that. Good stuff!

4. Nov 20, 2007 at 9:16 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    This looks like something most of the TW could do, count me in.

Jeff
    06,V6,6spd,SR5, 4x4 Bone stock still

5. Nov 20, 2007 at 9:25 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly! That was what struck me as the real gain here. You don't have to have this or that to contribute and possibly gain some info. I'm planning on some basic reports with comparisons on the most popular variables (engine size, cab, bed covers, etc) and also providing more detailed reports by specific model as requested. I can easily see a report that gives info on a specific year, with particular options, as being helpful for buyers or just for fun. I'm twisted, I know.:rolleyes:

6. Nov 20, 2007 at 12:02 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I'm in. I already follow my feul mileage evert tank.
    I'll send you my info on my next fill-up.

7. Nov 20, 2007 at 4:31 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm in. I just sent it via email but I mistakenly put the username as RRJohnson (my username on a different forum) instead of RobRJohnson.

8. Nov 20, 2007 at 6:34 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Got it. Thanks Rob

9. Nov 20, 2007 at 7:13 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sent you my info. E-mail.

10. Nov 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Filled up the other day so some time next week I will pass on mileage features.

Jeff
    06,V6,SR5,4x4, 6spd brillinat red

11. Nov 26, 2007 at 7:45 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to those that are willing to help out with this. I'm starting to get some data in now from here and some of the guys at TN. Hopefully I'll have enough to really do some analysis within a month or so if the pace keeps up.
    Just thought I'd update.
    Thanks
    James

12. Dec 16, 2007 at 3:03 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    My Taco is just hitting 1,000 miles and I've tracked it since new. I have a pda program for tracking fuel, cost, per tank and total mpg etc. I will send it in later tonight.

For right now, my stock reg. cab started at like 21.5 mpg new. Now on my 3rd tank had just over 25mpg. That's a 50/50 mix of city/hwy. She's breaking in and my Cruise Ctrl is in the mail. Working for 28+ hwy (wishfull thinking).

Thanks for collecting the data.

13. Dec 18, 2007 at 7:54 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just bumping to the top to get some more data.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?
    Bueller?

14. Dec 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have some more data that I'll send when I get home.

15. Dec 24, 2007 at 10:51 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    If you want, I have a spreadsheet with nearly 2 yrs of data (~ 40,000 miles). Odometer readings, miles traveled, gallons used for fillup, mpg, cost/gal, cost/mile, and a notes column for oil changes, mods (bed cover, then canopy, oil changes, tire size change, actual numbers from SG after larger tires, etc).

Would probably just be easier to email the file than copy/paste it here.

I have a 2006 4x4 DC SB 6spd, stock intake and exhaust, 2nd air filter removed.

I live out in the country so my driving covers all types except towing. Hills, city streets, highways, and 65+ on non-highway main roads.

16. Dec 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I emailed the spreadsheet to you today. I'll keep you updated at each fill up.

17. Jan 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Another thanks to those that keep sending in data. Here're the updated tables. If you've used Pivot tables before they're easy to understand. If not, I've posted a little more description below. Now that I've found a software that lets me create jpgs I should be able to send customized tables upon request.

I have to not that we still have only 458 tanks of data so all numbers are a little suspect and have been heavily influenced by the few contributors that have sent in dozens of tanks worth of data.

The "Average" tables show the average MPG for a given configuration by year.
    The "Count" show the corresponding number of tanks that make up the average.
    In the first jpg you have Cab and Engine configurations by year. The first data point in the far left colum is 29.69 average MPG for the 2005 Access Cab with 2.7 I4 engine. The second table tells you that there were 49 tanks of data that fit this configuration.
    The higher the number of tanks, the less individual driving habits/circumstances effect the overall number (in theory).

The second jpg shows how exhaust and intake mods effect MPG on average.
    The first data point on the left is for a 4.0 V6 engine with an Aftermarket Exhaust and an Aftermarker air filter and shows 22.6 mpg. The second table tells you that there was only one tank with this configuration.
    The next data point (22.60) is the total of all Aftermarket exhausts. The next number (14.86) is the average for 4.0 V6 engines with a Stock Exhaust and Aftermarket air filter and is averaged on 26 tanks.

Having used these types of tables for many years now, I don't have a sense for how hard they are to read for others. Please provide some feedback so I can make them useful to as many people as possible.

Thanks
    James

Gas Mileage 1.jpg
    Gas Mileage 2.jpg

18. Jan 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just bumping back to the top so we can hopefully get a few more inputs.

19. Jan 11, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    I have another tankful for you. I'll get the numbers to you b4 the weekend is over. Missed 2 tanks through the holidays, sorry about that.

20. Jan 12, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have two more to upload to you. Out of town again, and will send it to you 1st of the week.

Products Discussed in

To Top