1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Dieticians?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by PLC721, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    if you are, where do you work?

what is the day to day procedures like?

i'm a pharmacy technician now, and i currently do not believe i want to be a pharmacist and have been considering a dietician for some time now, i will have to get my bachelors degree obviously but i really want to better my life and want something more :cool:

so help some one who is lost and post up!!

2. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM
    PLC721

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Bump!

3. Feb 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    PLC721

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
  4. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    soup

soup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Black
    my older sister is, seems like a cool job just tell people what to eat all day. ill see her this weekend want me to get some info? lol

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    PLC721

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    meh just ask what the day to day is like if you dont mind? :)

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    That's what I call a bump! :D

I know that dietians mean well, but every time I talk to one (hell, I've dated two of y'all), I just can't agree with the recommendations!

I follow this www.westonaprice.org and have been for over 6 years now. I used to be the SICKEST, OLDEST 33 YO you've ever seen. Now? I'm almost 40, healthier than I ever been, leaner, not taking ANY MEDICATION (not even aspirin, no need to) and dating women significantly younger than me.

One of my ex's that is your field is Ms. Soy EVERYTHING. Guess what, she's always sick, always have some problem or another. She's fit, quite fit actually, but her body is always breaking down on her, and she is not able to correlate her date to her ailments!

Oh yeah, I love the part that "with moderation HFCS, nutrasweet and partially hydrogenated oils are o.k. to consume"... No way, won't touch any of that with a 10 foot pole!

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    steveOtacO

steveOtacO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RI
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab 4x4 2.7 SR5
    I got my bachelor's degree in human nutrition with the intent of becoming a dietitian (the ADA prefers you spell it without a 'C'). Around my junior year, when I really began to find out what a dietitian does, I changed my mind. Not that there is something wrong with the profession or that dietitians don't provide a valuable service, I just wanted to do more. I went and got my Masters degree and am know a physician assistant. After you get your bachelors, keep in mind you have to do an internship, most of which last one year. Currently the acceptance rate to these is about 66%. As long as you get good grades and have some extracurriculars, getting into one should not be a problem. 97% of dietitians are female, so being a male gives you a little bit of an edge as they would love to increase the number of male dietitians. As for the day to day, it depends on what setting you are in. You can work in a hospital, medical office or community setting, or hang up your own shingle and have a private practice. What is common across all of these is that you will be teaching people healthy eating habits, and trying to convince them to make lifestyle changes, which is hard. You have to really love what you are doing to be a dietitian. Good luck with your education and career OP.

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Ever notice that soy tastes a bit like RoundUp?

Ok, that's partly a joke, but the truth is that Monsanto virtually owns the US soybean market. Monsanto likes to sell RoundUp; it's their product. So they decided to genetically modify the soybean to be RoundUp resistant. That way, they could just spray the hell out of the whole soy bean field. So then Monsanto began selling their genetically modified seed. Soy farmers used to save their own seed but once the modified genetic material was transferred from the neighboring "Monsanto seed" farm through cross-pollination, the "non-Monsanto" farmer would be greeted by the attorneys for Monsanto. Since no one could fight them, they'd have to sign the agreement with Monsanto, to destroy their seed and buy GMO seed and of course, douse it with Round Up. Killer master plan if you ask me. All you have to do is get one guy to sign on and the rest is up to mother nature. In the end, you own the domestic soy market.

Now, I don't know about you, but the idea of a big bowl of soy-anything is just not very tempting in the first place, to me anyway. But now you GMO it and tell me it's good for me?! Not in my book. So many of those "healthy-choice" promoted products are all rolled up in soy-something. So what are you eating if you are soy crazy; soy milk, yogurt, bars, tofu, goo, etc?

The stuff is hard to avoid, as it's everywhere now. Moderation is a good thing to at least avoid too much of whatever especially when you don't always know.

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Not only I'm I a "label reader", I do not buy anything that is canned, has Soy, MSG (Natural Flavor? :rolleyes:) Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid or has been reconstuted or processed (think any juice that is not fresh squeeze).

I spent an unholy amount of money in food, and spend far too much time in the kitchen. I also hardly ever get sick (last time was a virus in Aug 2010), take NO medication, and have no need for medical care, other than my chiropractor.

It's easy to avoid, if you put the effort! ;)

10. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    PLC721

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    I figure if I come to not like it I could just switch a few classes and become a pharmacist since they have a few similar pre requirements

11. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    PLC721

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    well i start classes for it this summer so wish me luck guys!

12. Aug 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    wilnbroc

wilnbroc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver SR5 4wd Base Double Cab Short Bed
    Aluminum Side steps, Tuffy security bed box, bed lights installed like hookedontronics mod., auxillery 12v DC plug in Console, USA-SPEC iPod interface, set of Bilstein 5150's, CBI Offroad Trail Rider 2.0 rear bumber-textured black, Redline hoodstruts, Toyo Open Country A/T 265/70-16
    My wife is a dietitian/clinical nutritionist at St. Jude's Childrens Research Hospital here in Memphis. She enjoys the work. Got her MS at U of Memphis and BS at U of Tennessee at Martin

To Top