1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spun my Truck yesterday

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tacomathunder, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
  2. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    I did it pretty easily, and i barely touched the gas... in the right conditions, it can be so easy to get your tires spinning given the lightness of the back

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
  4. Mar 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Scary stuff!

I used to do some stupid stuff when I had my Cherokee sliding around on gravel roads. Not recommending it or saying it was smart, but it was a bad decision that has turned into a useful skill.

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    true, wish i could do it just to get a handle for the sliding truck

6. Mar 2, 2012 at 4:19 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
  7. Mar 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    lol awesome vid, i might try that :roll eyes: lol jk

8. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    The recommended pressures are higher in the rear because often people will forget to air them up when there's a load in the bed. But higher pressures in the rear tires, without a load, on wet pavement, can result in what you experienced. I adjust tire pressure according to the conditions and the load, exactly to avoid these kinds of potentially disastrous situations. You are lucky.

9. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    If u feather the gas and work the clutch, you can either maintain the slide or correct it. Our trucks are light in the rear so we can lose traction easier, but, unlike rear engine cars like porsches who have all the weight in the rear, we dont experience massive oversteer. Ours is fully controllable. Experience will help you in the future

10. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Our trucks in fact have massive understeer. Any loss of traction in the rear is a result of simple loss of traction. Theres no real mometum forcing the rear end out in a turn.

11. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Ive had my rear end come out on me a few times on the street, thankfully I throw the rear end out everyday on my way to work in the dirt so I know how to handle it.

One time I was making a left hand turn out of the mall in victorville and was in the left left hand turn lane, there was a right left hand turn lane with a car there. I took off and the ass end came out and i just rode the drift out luckily i had about a car length on the guy to the right of me cause I was definitely in his lane. I kept on the gas in fear he would catch up to me. needless to say he slowed way down and I looked like an ass but it was un intentional. If I didnt have the experience and feel for my truck I probably would have oversteered and ended up hitting a car or 2 in the intersection.

Products Discussed in

To Top