1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Buckling When Flexing

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by KenLyns, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  2. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Some truck frames are designed to flex in order to enhance ride quality. If you think that a completely rigid frame is optimal for all condition's you have never gone over a bump while riding the the back of an army deuce and a half. Also, truck manufacturer's will publish "tests" that are designed specifically to make their trucks look better than the competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    i can still open my tacoma bed when fully flexed out..

4. Mar 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    I don't mind frame flex in a truck. However, the tailgate shouldn't buckle and get stuck at full flex. Our Tacos are reputed to have a flexible frame and weak tailgate, yet it isn't as bad as the Ford.

The video you posted is biased in that Ford specifically picked the test surface to hit the resonance frequency of the Tundra's frame.

The frame flex test isn't particularly biased. The ramps are there only to allow these non-offroad trucks to be diagonally supported, with two wheels in the air, which we encounter when wheeling.

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I was down in the Big Bend, Texas area doing some research while in grad school when I got one front and one rear wheel off the ground on one of those old mining trails they have down there.

I could have used my 06's locking differential then but my '87 didn't have one Fortunately, I had a high-lift jack and there were several rocks around that I could stack to get myself out of my predicament. I can't recall that the '87 Toyota pickup's frame flexed at all; however, it was more rigid than the newer frames.

6. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Im gonna have to go flex my taco's frame like that and see if I can open the tailgate.

I thought the box movement frame test was biased too. I was at a big vehicle expo and ford had their test area and trailer with videos and such. They had that same video playing. A ford dealer came up and said "that box rattle is pretty bad in the tundra" (trying to spark a conversation to start pitching/selling me shit)

I asked him what the resonance frequency is of the F150. He said it didnt matter...

I had to bite my lip from not laughing. I calmly told him resonance frequency is a vital characteristic of metal. I told him "go watch the video of the tacoma narrows bridge. That structure was reinforced thousands of times stronger than your prized truck, and its still managed to whip itself to pieces at the right frequency."

7. Mar 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    If you get stuck in a precarious situation and need to access recovery equipment in the bed, it would be rather unfortunate if the tailgate can't open. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top