1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duplicolor Color Matched Spray Paint

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Madjik_Man, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Don't know where else to put this... please move it if it's in the wrong forum

So my paint code for the Sunfire Red Pearl is 3K4

When I go to duplicolor's website it says that the 3K4 code is "Toyota Red Mica (M) (3K4)"

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rodi/guide.duplicolor.importspraypaint.html

From what I understand the Barcelona Red Mica color code for Toyota is 3R3.

http://www.amazon.com/3R3-Barcelona-Red-Mica-Professional/dp/B0071LWMDY

[​IMG]

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I dunno man, I looked up my 2011 color code and all that, to paint my eyelids, got them all painted and it looked like a mix between my 2011 black and the Black Sand pearl... wasn't fully pearl, but you can def see a little bit of the flecks in it...sooooo Your best bet would be to pick up a can and paint something and see if it color matches with your truck I guess

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Just go with Automotive Touchup.com. They're shit matched my OEM paint PERFECT. Have to do the clear coat to really make it match though.

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yea, I'm over it all, I need to paint the seat cowl on my Triumph, looking at either 120$-150$ to get it done professionally or like 100$ shipped for 2 cans of Triumph color matched paint...sigh... Might just find some random rattle can and paint some random plastic and see how close it matches. I ain't paying a C note for like a square foot of plastic lol.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I hear ya... but after shipping one can of spray paint is $30

Versus the duplicolor being $9.

I guess you get what you pay for

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yea that's true...you definitely get what you pay for...but really, like I said, my eyelids look perfectly fine to everyone else, to my eye, I could have used another clearcoat or 3, and should have prepped a little better...but that was with Autozone duplicolor that had the color code to my truck

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    I've run into this a bit.

Sometimes same paint by the factory, same code, different marketing name to get that "excitement" going.

Sometimes though it is aftermarket manufacturer cost savings. Paint formula is "close enough" to them so that they may use an older or newer version of the paint as the match to all of them. Saves production costs.

In fact, I was looking at some charts when first got our truck and found my 045 being subbed by the 040 super white colour. Not the same when you spray it on the truck. Now shows them to be different and my spray can is not longer available, just the little touch up things.

I'm with you and some of the others. Looked at some of the customs places and they can make me some paint, but to lay out $100 on paint and clear coat they require is a bit much for me. As everyone says, get what you pay for. At present I have a can of Ford or GM white that looked close I'm going to try ($7 a can) once it warms up.

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yea the 7$ duplicolor that's close enough is good for me lol

9. Jul 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    KrotchRocket

KrotchRocket New Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 3.4V6
    It looks like duplicolor doesnt make sunfire red pearl. I used Redfire pearl, which i think is a closer match than Barcelona red mica, theres only a slightly barely noticable difference in the patch job.

10. Jul 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Be careful, especially on the pearls and candy.

I bought some Color-Rite for my motorcycle in a red candy and it wasn't even close.
    The base silver metallic laid down nicely.
    The first coat of candy looked almost purple... but it was close to the factory overspray on the inside of the fenders.
    6 coats later, it still was not even close to matching, and the uneven stripes from the pass overlaps made it look like a sunburned zebra.

Ended up stripping it off (waste of $250 worth of rattle cans) and took it to a pro.

11. Jul 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    jrdriver8

jrdriver8 Active Member

Member:
    Ma
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma PreRunner
    Stock
    I have an 02 impulse red. I just ordered paint in a can from here: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ It looks to be reallt close in a spot test. I have ued them for my 66 Lemonwood yellow corvair and it matched perfect. Give them a shot before you go with DupliColor, I am betting you will be happier.

12. Jul 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Most body supply shops will mix your paint code and load it into a rattle can for you. Then just grab a can of clear. I'm sure you have an auto body supply shop close by.

13. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    I have the Cardinal Red, and org. i believe it was a very "bright" or strong red, but no matter what I do to it its faded....... and I would think yours like all reds or lighter colors are going to be hard to match now. without seeing yours in person and I could be wrong, don't get your hopes up on getting a close match. right now any touch up I am doing I am just using gray primer and a goop flat black to protect from rust, ( until I can get her repainted I dont give a %#&@ if its looks funny as long as its not rusting).

14. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I used duplicor in my fenders ...was close enough

15. Sep 21, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    JimNH

JimNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    2009 White Dbl Cab, SR5, Tow Pkg, 138K and counting
    Kenwood bluetooth double din head unit trailer brake controller K-Z sportsmen classic 16RBT travel trailer!
    I have a 2009 super white tacoma (code 040). I purchased a touch up kit from automotivetouchup.com and used it to fill in some pinholes on the hood. It worked ok, but doesn't stand up to close inspection (you can see the "dots" where I applied the paint). I bought some Duplicolor exact match small spray cans at Autozone, and used it to respray an area of the front bumper that was scraped. It came out great. I will now sand down and mask off the whole front bumper area and spray it with the Duplicolor. At $7 per can, this is pretty economical. Of course, touching up super white is a bit easier than any of the candy colors or base/clear combos as it's a one part paint with no clear from the factory.

Products Discussed in

To Top