1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I may need a new clutch

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by holyfield19, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 [OP] GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    I know I need to replace my TO bearing because it chirps like crazy, and is annoying as hell. Going to go with URD TO replacement. With that said, I seem to have an issue with my clutch I believe. If I am going to drop the trans for the TO bearing I need to look into a new clutch. Here is the issue. The truck shifts OK into 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, but 3rd seems to have a little hang up in it, and sometimes seems to grab funny. Almost like it's needed to be forced into 3rd. Also if it's not presses ALL THE WAY to the floor, it will "grind" a little, for lack of a better word. This only started a few days ago, and really seems to be worse when it is cold, and i don't like it. I am hoping that it is just a clutch issue and not something else like the trans. A few questions I have about clutch assemblys, whats the difference between the stage II, III, and IV kits from URD? I don't really do alot of towing, maybe a boat every now and then or a bed full of whatever, but nothing serious. Need some advice/help.

This is what I was looking into, probly with a stage II:http://www.urdusa.com/More-Products...ywheel-Combo-Package-1GR-FE/product_info.html

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Tacotruck4x4

Tacotruck4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Mckinney TX
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    painted black stock rims, unhooked exhaust(straight pipe cats back), black front toyota badge
    it doesn't sound like a clutch issue just because its only one gear and you use your clutch shifting into every gear. maybe MTF?

3. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
  4. Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Speak English dammit.:p

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Tacotruck4x4

Tacotruck4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Mckinney TX
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    painted black stock rims, unhooked exhaust(straight pipe cats back), black front toyota badge
    MTF being tranny fluid. And because it's only one gear out of the 5 or 6 it doesn't seem like a clutch issue. Maybe even a gear synchro but that would be bad

6. Mar 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Another thing i thought about was the synchro's.

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    How many miles do you have on your clutch?

How many miles since the last time you changed your transmission fluid? I recommend www.redlineoil.com. Use the MT90 manual transmission oil. Works best with out trucks.

I am not saying my issue was the same as yours, but it had been about 30k miles since i had changed mine, and third started to be a pain. Changed the fluid and it was all better.

Are you planning on getting the Transmission Sleeve Kit from URD?

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    All miles on this same clutch i think, bought it used. Not sure of trans fluid change, i was going to do that this weekend or next with the redline, just have to find it here by me. Are you talking about the T/O bearing from URD? if so yes.

9. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  10. Mar 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yup. Thats it. Do you have i or know anyone who does? If I get a replacement "new" clutch kit from toyota will it work with it? I thought about getting the clutch/flywheel kit from URD, but that is a lot of coin. I may be able to get a deal on a factory clutch kit from toyota, through a buddy of mine's father.

11. Mar 6, 2012 at 4:11 AM
    Tacomanater

Tacomanater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington County, NY (VT Border)
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5, 4WD, V6, 5Spd
    JBA headers & exhaust, new cats, K&N CAI, new shocks, 2.5" lift, Prodigy P2, Timbren, snobord552 light bar (v.2), KC off-roads and Hella fog lights, Teflon A/R ATX 16" Ledge, Nitto Terra Grappler, (265/75R16's), ultragauge, curt roof rack on thule set-up.
    This is interesting. I just had the fluid changed in my tranny and transfer case. Went with Redline 75W90 Synthetic. The guy who did it indicated that my throw out bearing was on its way out. He knew this because the clutch pedal was "stiff" and there was a slight grind, when cold. He drove it for a bit to warm up the fluids before he did the drain/change. We talked yesterday when I went to pay him and he told me that the throw out (grease) was drying out, as is apt to happen. So we started to discuss clutches and replacements. I will be doing a bit of towing this track season and he is going to check into parts with his buddy I have a friend who might be able eto source parts and my guy will do the work. My mechanic will also have the flywheel "turned", so no need to buy a new one. He also recommended that I replace the clutch master cylinder "while we are at it." So, your comments about your tranny are same as mine. I will start to do the research here shortly and anticipate changing the clutch, master cylinder, etc., in about a month...then should be good for about another 200K miles. U like URD clutches, any others recommended?

12. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I don't have it, but I did help install it onto a friend's truck. All that the sleeve kit does is put a hardened steel sleeve over the factory input shaft. The factory shaft will wear badly from the factory throw out bearing. Causing a change in diameter of the input shaft. It also aids in the throw out bearing making a squeeling noise. Aside from the fact that the grease might be worn out in the bearing itself.

The sleeve protects the factory input shaft, and uses a specifics this out bearing that has a slightly larger inside diameter than the factory one.

Also, the throw out bearing upgrade kit works with all brands of clutches, as it has no impact on them.

Here is the damage done by the OEM throw-out bearing, to the factory input shaft. The sleeve will prevent this.

CIMG2468_2af9fdbac293a6a071f0568b11ca2937f08d37b0.jpg

CIMG2466_ca3d0cbb3ff35c266ad1244974a56c12543dc71a.jpg

13. Mar 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah i've seen pictures like that before. I think mine is like that, or worse! I need to get the money together to get this swap done asap. I can't stand the chirping and i feel as if it is ruining my truck, only to cause more troubles. TACOMANATOR......Keep me informed of what you come up with, I would like to know.

14. Mar 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Unless he has a different 2nd Gen taco, i think he is referring to his '02 Taco.

15. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah I know, Just curious as to what he finds out.

16. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:20 AM
    Tacomanater

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5, 4WD, V6, 5Spd
    JBA headers & exhaust, new cats, K&N CAI, new shocks, 2.5" lift, Prodigy P2, Timbren, snobord552 light bar (v.2), KC off-roads and Hella fog lights, Teflon A/R ATX 16" Ledge, Nitto Terra Grappler, (265/75R16's), ultragauge, curt roof rack on thule set-up.
    Holyfield:
    I will certainly keep you posted, feel free to check in. Started a google search about clutches and clutch kits, need to do some more research. Place called Andy's that has about 7 mfgs for clutch kits. TRD, Competition, Spec, Clutch Master, and a few more. Seems like the prices all run about $450.00 +/-.
    BTW: the guy that did my fluid change, he has been working for the local Toyota dealer for a long time and he was the one who swapped out my frame, shocks, cats, exhaust, headers, etc., back in July, he is real honest and seems to be a straight shooter. He definately knows his Tacos and Tundras. I do trust him and I have no reason to disbelieve his "findings." He was the one who thought it wa the TO bearing, as he thught the pedal was wayt to stiff and noted that you had to put the pedal all the way to the floor to avoid any griding. He says that the grease on the bearing dries out, gets some grey colored shit on it as it ages. Doesn't want to see me tear up a gear or a syncro. So we talked, to sleeve the T/O bearing means taking the engine transmission apart....why do it part way, why not do the labor once, put in a new kit ans master cylinder (clutch) and thus baby should run another 200K. We'll see. Looking to do this early May/late April.
    Damn clutch kits are pricey and I have even looked up the clutch master cylinder, yet.

17. Mar 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    I think those master cylinders are anywhere between $30-100, but that may be on the higher side. I know thats a pretty big span, but you know how it goes when you google search shit.

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Tacomanater

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5, 4WD, V6, 5Spd
    Yeah, I hear ya. I just checked with my motorsports buddy and he feels that there is no need to spend any extra money on Stage 1, 2, + performance clutches. The stock set-up will suit my needs just fine. My truck has 180K on it, and the clutch is really still okay, just the TO bearing is starting to fail. I don't want t spend the labor $$ twice. His pricing on the friction plate, spring, pilot bearing, TO bearing etc., is pretty damn good, at least compared to Clutch Master/Competition Clutch, SPEC, ACT, etc. However, the master cylinder is a tad bit more. No big deal, still checking. I will keep you in the loop.

19. Mar 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    yeah I dont want to butt in, but man unless you are racing the truck, don't do the performance clutches.
    Long story, but when I had my Stang I found out that the ford 5 speed those model years was a tender piece of shit. My 85 had the T-5 and those things are tuff. first thing i did was change out to redline, everyone on the mustang boards was doing it, and it made a world of differance.
    now the stupid thing I did was a big overhaul, and I put in a king cobra clutch, the whole works from ford racing, high quantity parts, but it would wear you out in no time. no one else but me could drive that car.
    yes when you are in there doing the clutch and stuff, if you have time, make a list, do motor mounts if needed, stuff like that. while you are there you might as well try to take care of it all

20. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM
    holyfield19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yeah, not so great, but I still love a 6 speed. I may not really need the clutch, but I know my T/O bearing is shot, and I might as well do it all at once. It only makes sense to drop the tranny once for everything than twice when something else goes wrong. Deffinatly going to go with the redline. Might go ahead and change it now, and then put it back in when the tranny comes down as well. If I put ot in now, I might feel a little better about driving it for another month till I get the cash for the cltch together.

Products Discussed in

To Top