1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Piggyback or Remote Reservoir??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Rakso, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    I got these sick Fox 2.0 rear shocks a couple of weeks ago from DSM, and after installing them I'm starting to wonder if I should leave them as piggys or get them Remote.

I've heard different opinions about both styles, some say oil flow is better on remotes and other say it's better on piggys.

Whats do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    im interested for an answer as well.

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I dont think it makes a difference.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    I guess technically there's slightly more oil In a remote due to the longer hose length.

Also, you get to show off the resi which will make bro's flock to your truck.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    From the www

"Fox Piggyback Shocks are a compact and good looking version of the remote reservoir model. They are a light duty shock best suited for the customer looking for a little extra "Bling, bling." Fox piggyback shocks feature a reservoir able to rotate 360 degrees around the body for fitment into many types of vehicles. One drawback that is less obvious of these shocks is that the oil flows less efficiently thru to and from the reservoir than the remote reservoir model. So for those who want maximum performance out of this type of damper we recommend the remote reservoir fox shocks."

From ttora

"Generally, a piggyback allows a higher flow rate through the connecting tube than through the hose on a remote reservoir. The main difference is really in attaching the reservoir near the seal, or near the top of the shock.

When the shock collapses, the shaft volume displaces fluid accordingly, moving the dividing piston.

With the connector at the top, the high pressure side of the piston (during compression) will be acting against the nitrogen charge as well as the interaction between shim stack/valve and fluid...so the nitrogen chamber will compress more than just what is required to accommodate the collapsing shaft volume--in other words, you're losing compression dampening.

With the connector at the bottom, the high pressure side of the piston is only pushing against fluid, and the dividing piston will still shift according to how much shaft volume is within the shock.

So, if you have room, get a piggyback with the connector near the seal"

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    How close does that resi get to your tire when stuffed? Looks pretty close!

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    idk i think its personal preference. piggy back looks "cleaner" but the remote resi offers variable mounting spots, so as not to look to clustered. also gives some space/clearance during wheel travel IMO.

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I haven't measure but yeah it's pretty close, I'm afraid it will hit either the lift pack or the U bolt plate. :(

This is exactly why I'm debating between leaving them as they are or get them remote.

9. Mar 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Rakso

Rakso [OP] CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top