1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual or Auto. -------The big decision.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rupp1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I forgot, I have one complaint. 6th gear is too low. It'd be better if I could do 60mph at a lower rpm than 2000

2. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    Bodz

Bodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, Xd Spy wheels, 265/70/17 Michelins, skid pan, fog lights tint, Flyzeye LED lights, ADVMonster LED lights, tri-fold tonneau, box divider........will it ever end? LOL
    Depends where you live. If you're in the country and spend most of your truck time offroad or just driving for fun then I'd definitely go with a manual BUT if your truck is your daily driver and you have to commute in traffic every day then save yourself the hassle and go automatic for sure. An automatic is perfectly acceptable offroad too, just not quite as much fun. The automatic transmission on the 2012 Tacoma is excellent, I'm very impressed.

Both have many advantages and disadvantages, it's personal preference and the choice is yours, no one else's.

Go with your gut!

3. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    x50! Only legitimate complaint. I do a lot of highway at 75. . .

4. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I did some wheelin' yesterday and let me tell you the automatic delivers the goods....I've had manuals before, but this automatic has got it right!
    [​IMG]

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    6 SPEED FTW!!!!!

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    Get the manual, you won't regret it...most people that complain about the Tacoma 6 speed are the same people that put quick shifters on it...it is a truck manual not a sports car

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    TheMrGExperience

TheMrGExperience Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    01 GMC Sierra z85 4x4 4.8L RCLB
    Debadged, 4x6 to 6x9 rear speaker conversion
    i wouldnt get a manual unless you get a 4 banger. the 6speed m/t is f**king horrific imo

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    Exactly, its a truck, of course its gonna have long throws, maybe a long clutch, and its never perfect. I believe that's just life at its finest when in a truck. Also if it had a name tag such as Porsche or ferrari, that's when I would be disappointed but overall its only gonna be as good as you make it out to be!

9. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    ruler1

ruler1 stump thumper

Member:
    palmetto fl
    Vehicle:
    97 2.7 4x4 5speed
    header, k&n intake, ome coils, springs and struts,diff drop, Urd simulator, dynomax exhaust, slotted roters, bpv relocater
    I was going to buy a second gen. The dealer told me 4x4 and manual were almost impossible to find used. I'm sure the auto has its advantages but I vote stick. They last longer. And not having the wife drive it is a win all on its own. The truck I did find cost me an extra 1500 because it had the 2.7 and the stick with locking hubs. I will not own another automatic truck until I am very old.

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The manual only has about five strengths compared to the auto:
    -better control on snowy roads
    -more control with a trailer
    -longer-lasting brakes depending on how you drive
    -simple inexpensive fluid changes
    -immune to the schizophrenic cruise control program

If it had a taller final gear and shifted better than a '50 Ford it would be a no-brainer. Too bad it doesn't. If I had a go again I'd be surely tempted to buy the automatic and I absolutely abhor driving automatics.

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    I had a 2007 (27,000km) and have a 2008 (77,000km), both with manuals. Zero issues on either.

I will admit that the Tacoma's manual was a little weird to drive at first. The flywheel on the 2007 was quite heavy and trying to drive it like a sports car was an experience as the truck would lurch if I dumped the clutch too fast. The throttle control was also a little weird due to the CPU holding the RPM for a moment before releasing when changing gears.

I've since learned to drive it more conservatively and feel that it drives/shifts fine. It's no sports car... but it's not supposed to be.

The first gear is a little short... but the short gear makes a lot of sense when driving off road or pulling weight.

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    ceeeee

ceeeee Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD doublecab manual 4x4
    I specifically only looked for a manual. I don't want my girlfriend driving my truck for one, i don't mind driving manual in the city or anywhere for that matter, and i control when the shift happens. If i want to shift at 2500rpm and slowly ramp up or rev up through gears i can. But main reason is i have had trouble with automatic transmissions in other vehicles in the past and they are a pain in the ass to take out and rebuild. I would rather pull a manual transmission and repair or replace parts than an automatic if i ever have to. Automatic is more popular of course nowadays as most automatics are supposed to be as reliable as standards, and there is hardly any fuel savings gained.

13. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    wow, this is exactly my view on it too. change the word girlfriend to wife and it's dead on.

I'll add I also tow and live in a really hilly area. First my Tahoe auto trans shat, then my X5 V8 auto trans shat, and the F350 7.3 has a rebuilt in it now.

To be fair, Aisin manual trans are pretty crappy, the one in my Tacoma included. I've driven better shifting and more refined Freightliners and Volvo 18 wheeler tractors.

14. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I can't get over people choosing their transmission based on their spouse / friends not being able to drive it , lol

Grow a pair , the word you are looking for is " No "

15. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Taylor

Taylor Check out NASA Spec3!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    I don't drive stick, but I see you people complaining about a short first gear.

I may be wrong, but can't you just launch from second? If 1st is that short, I'd think you wouldn't have much trouble starting from 2.

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The problem is that the gear ratios were not well concieved. 1st is not a good granny gear, nor is it a good first road gear. Second is too tall to launch in. 6th is not tall enough. Reverse is twice as tall as it should be. They should have made 1st a granny gear for all the things you use a truck for, and second should be the normal launching gear unless you are under a heavy load. 6th should be a real overdrive not just another gear.
    The 4.0 has plenty of torque to support a 4 spd tranny 95% of the time. Having a true granny gear and a true OD would make it a real serious truck tranny. The reverse gearing must have been designed by a highschool summer hire :rolleyes:

17. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I have had 2.7L Taco with 5 speed now I drive 4.0L Taco with automatic. Having both, Automatic ALL the way. The Toyota's automatic is amazing unit, shifts flawlessly and you can manually select any gear you would like!

I call BS on three points;

- trailer control is fine! I tow a lot and if it seems to struggle in OD, I flip it to 4th or 3rd!

- fluid change is easy and inexpensive as well! I have done it on my Taco on friends 4runner with the same transmission!

- whats wrong with the cruise?? I had cruise on my 2.7L with 5 speed as well as on my 4.0L with Auto in both trucks the cruise worked fine and as it should...

18. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    You would think, but on my 2.7 it is actually pretty tricky. I often launched from 2nd in my previous vehicles, but no dice on the Tacoma 5 speed.

19. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    The 1st & 2nd gear on the 5 speed are horribly spaced! When turning, its too fast to shift into 1st and too slow to shift to 2nd so I always had to slip the clutch to get going... annoying!

20. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Indeed! I love my MT, but below 3rd it can be a PITA.

Products Discussed in

To Top